Normal Temperture Gauge Range?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StrokinThenCummin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all. I just replaced the wter pump, tstat, and coolant on my 04 5.7 HEMI w/ 195k miles. Before, the temp gauge stayed rock solid at about a quarter inch before midway. Now, it bounces btwn quarter inch and a hair before midway throughout driving based off of if I'm accellerating, if the heater is on, if I'm idling etc etc. I have bled the cooling system multiple times and there just doesn't seem to be any air in the system.

Is this normal behavior? It's not overheating, but I worry about the constant temp changes shortening the life of the iron block or head.

Thanks for all help

RamCreeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You could try testing or replacing your temp sensor. Its odd that its reading low.

OP
OP
StrokinThenCummin

StrokinThenCummin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could try testing or replacing your temp sensor. Its odd that its reading low.

Could coolant flush cause the sensor to crap out? I just assumed that since this all happened immidiately after I changed those parts that it must be related to that.

RamCreeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had an older truck that would jump around I replaced everything in the cooling system to find it was just a $10 temp sensor. It may not be it but a good/cheap place to start.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
You said the truck had 195 miles is that the original radiator that came in the truck new.The reason i mentioned even though you flushed the coolant out you might still have crud inside the radiator not letting it cool like it suppose.Since they make radiators out of aluminum you can not rod out like a brass one you just replace it .Also have you checked the pressure cap it could be not holding pressure or going bad but also replace temp sensor .

Last edited:
OP
OP
StrokinThenCummin

StrokinThenCummin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you so much for these answers. Fastf, it is the original radiator. So I bet it could be that. It's also original pressure cap and temp sensor. I'll tackle those and hopefully that fixes it.

Thanks again for the answers.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
No problem May God Bless you and Your Family.