OBD II Tester ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I am getting more interested in getting a OBD II Tester just to have !
I have seen prices from 17$ to over 100$ . I know some connect to the I Phone 7which I have !
I know you get what you pay for most of the time and wonder if those 20$ units are worth it!
SO what do you Gals and Guys use ? advice from someone who use's one is better then a sales add lol
And yes I am trying the search bow but :O

Thanks

Rich

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I have the $10 BT from ebay and use the full version of torque. I use it on a spare droid phone and also my Samsung tablet.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks alot . That really helps. I assume they will hook up to my I phone no problem :) Thanks

duunoit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The torque app isn't available in the AppStore. I have used other apps, but Torque seems like the best cheap (inexpensive) phone app. Also, you will need to get a WiFi OBD2 device. Apple products don't work properly with Bluetooth scanners.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The question is what you want to be able to do? Just read generic codes or really get into things? What other cars/makes/years (if any) do you want to read? If you want something good that will really allow you to get into manufacturer specific codes, trip relays, scan different modules, analyze and reset ABS, airbag, the different modules ...all that, you can pick up Snap-on scaners on ebay for $450 + depending on the model and software versions. There are some good youtube videos on how to use them. I'm more on the side of S/O scanners. If you get into something really troubling a general OBD II scanner isn't going to do you any good other than make you chase in circles. Dollar for dollar a S/O is going to give you the most and best flexibility for a variety of debugging, besides a factory scanner (of course).

But if all you want to do is read your truck, and get your feet wet, you can just get less expensive products. A lot of guys like the "Ultragauge" product too. More real-time readings.

Last edited:

wiggy999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Autel ****-Scan #309 I got on e-bay for under $20.00 with free shipping has worked fine for me the few times ive had to use it...

https://www.ebay.com/i/262023848637?chn=ps

The price is right for these units! I spent almost $400 for a pair of ScanGauges, but I wanted to do alot more things like reset long-term adaptives after mods etc. This is on my SRT Caliber and that thing is touchy. Like posted above, depends on what you want them to do.

I have a small evap. leak on the old Ram and the $10 unit clears it for me and lets me read pending codes etc..

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks for all the great replies :) Perfect info! Yea it would help if you know how tech I want to get ! :O I just want to check codes! To compare to the shop that will do the work and give me a better idea of what is going on ! Any added info it gives would be just because I am curious! I DO NOT work on my own truck! It would cost me more to have someone fix what I screw up lol

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have 2 scanners
iCarsoft i610 OBD 2 WiFi dongle in Italy but could not get working it right (probably a problem of European cars)
Innova OBD 2 scanner with FixAssist, fix assist never worked, cable bothers me, but reads Engine and ABS codes

I just ordered this one: ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth Dongle, has good reviews

Blutooth is more handy as you can connect to your wifi network to look up the codes.
If you have a WIFI scanner you have to disconnect and connect to your WIFI network.

Chris

duunoit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Blutooth is more handy as you can connect to your wifi network to look up the codes.
If you have a WIFI scanner you have to disconnect and connect to your WIFI network.

Chris

Agreed. I have both (and even the OBDLink USB model) but also have several old Android Phones/Tablets to connect to the BT models. It may be worth it to buy a cheap Android tablet, I'm sure there will be a bunch on sale through Amazon for Christmas.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have used several ODB kinds of software on PCs and smart phones along with both BT and cabled adapters. Lots of issues, slow and cumbersome. After the frustration, I went with a $60 stand alone Bosch brand scanner last year and have not looked back. It has all the code description stored, no need to look things up. It also has a data base of the most common fixed to repair the fault the code is reporting. It just works and works well, simple effective. This one reads and resets ABS and airbag codes, where the $10 don't. So, as other folks have said, it depends on what you want to do and how often you do it. I have a GoPoint that can monitor, record, display real time data that I haven't used after the initial tinkering wore off. If you are looking at a code once a year, there is nothing simpler than connecting a stand alone scanner and reading the codes. Don't have to deal with a stinking app.. that keeps get interrupted with phone calls, or one that takes over the phone.

I'd recommend a cheap stand alone scanner if all you want to do is check and reset check engine codes. But its probably not going to show you the RAM service/diagnostic codes the dealer or shop can see. For that, you are in the $400 territory for all of them, less money for some. ABS and airbag seems to be the ones you are most likely to need over and above the check engine codes. For some "drivability" type diagnostics, a scanner that can record parameters can be of some help.

Now if you are a tech junky, software solutions can provide some flexibility.

Last edited:

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well, the ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth Dongle arrived and works.
What is not working is no ABS codes, no transmission codes, no anything else codes ...
My innove 3130C scanner reads ABS codes but not transmission codes

Is there any software who can read ABS and Transmission codes witht OBDLink dongle?

Their OBDLink software, Torque and diagnostiker OBD android software don't show those modules.
Have a nice weekend!
Chris