Oem F/S transforce 20" tires....proper pressure??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I have the 18" Firestones and just turned 3600 miles this week. Will have the truck 1 year on 12/30/17.

I run em' at 70 psi front and rear when running empty and 80 psi when loaded for a camping trip.

I just went over the truck for annual inspection and the rear tires still have 12/32 of tread left, the fronts i think are the same or maybe 13/32, just slightly more.

I dont off road, but i have no problem with these tires at all. They look good and Bridgestone/Firestone makes a good tire. They are wearing, but i do a lot of stop and go driving lots of low speed turns where i can hear the rears scrubbing with the anti spin rear diff, so i know that's part of it.

I dont mind really. This truck is a beast. First time i pulled wheels was last night. The thing is a piece of equipment! Lol. Everything just massive and strong. HUGE difference from a half ton car, i mean truck. ..lol. .. I love it!

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I run my 275/70/18s at 70psi.

I run em' at 70 psi front and rear when running empty and 80 psi when loaded for a camping trip.

They look good and Bridgestone/Firestone makes a good tire. They are wearing, but i do a lot of stop and go driving lots of low speed turns where i can hear the rears scrubbing with the anti spin rear diff, so i know that's part of it.

I don't understand why anyone would run 70 psi in their front tires when factory recommended pressure is 60 or 65.:banghead: When empty and the rear end weighing 1000 to 2000 lbs. less than the front, depending on engine, why does anyone think that they should run the same or more pressure than fronts? Just because the tire can handle the pressure doesn't mean that it should. Trucks are not like cars where the weight is distributed evenly.

GsRAM, that scrubbing is the tire not getting full traction because they're over-inflated.

If people would take the time to do a tire chalk test, I know they'd be surprised at the results.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I don't understand why anyone would run 70 psi in their front tires when factory recommended pressure is 60 or 65.:banghead: When empty and the rear end weighing 1000 to 2000 lbs. less than the front, depending on engine, why does anyone think that they should run the same or more pressure than fronts? Just because the tire can handle the pressure doesn't mean that it should. Trucks are not like cars where the weight is distributed evenly.

GsRAM, that scrubbing is the tire not getting full traction because they're over-inflated.

If people would take the time to do a tire chalk test, I know they'd be surprised at the results.

I don't understand why you'd care enough to comment on what PSI another individual chooses to run in their tires. I've run lower air pressure in my tires and didn't personally like the performance of the truck so, I made a change. I may change them again, I may even lower them again but, right now, that's what I run in my tires. My tires are wearing great and showing no signs of uneven wear. No issues. No reason to bang your head.

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I do 65 front 80 rear loaded or unloaded. The ride is fine, especially for a 3/4. I've always ran what the sticker on the door says.

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I don't understand why you'd care enough to comment on what PSI another individual chooses to run in their tires. I've run lower air pressure in my tires and didn't personally like the performance of the truck so, I made a change. I may change them again, I may even lower them again but, right now, that's what I run in my tires. My tires are wearing great and showing no signs of uneven wear. No issues. No reason to bang your head.
You're right, I shouldn't care if people drive around on over-inflated tires. I guess I was just trying to understand the reasoning behind running more pressure than what the manufacturer requires. To each his own.

I do 65 front 80 rear loaded or unloaded. The ride is fine, especially for a 3/4. I've always ran what the sticker on the door says.
The door sticker pressures are for full capacity when you're carrying 2000-3000 lbs. Again, to each his own.

My 2011 CTD 2500 had a light load button that changed the rear threshold to 45 psi while the front was 60. Why did they have this button that allowed less pressure in the rear tires? So why did FCA change this? Simple answer, liability and they didn't want it if someone tried to tow heavy with only 45psi.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
4x4x4door, I understand your frustration. It's FCA that is at fault...

IMO, what Ram puts on the 2500 door sticker (60/80) is just plain stupid.

Again, look at the Firestone Tire Specs for those pressures, then look at your GVWR (10000 lbs)

GVWR is more than covered at 50/45 (10,300 lbs weight carrying)...

If people want to run more than or at 60/80 empty or even at GVW than to each their own. Its their money to burn on new tires and back to mend with an icy/hot patch.

I personally am enjoying my ride and tire wear (they still look new at 31k) at 55/45. I also like that my entire rear treads are touching the ground in rain or snow....

Thanks to guys like you for getting my damn TPMS reset. :favorites13:

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L

If my rears are over inflated, you'd never know that by looking at them. they are wearing dead even, straight across. if they were over inflated as you say, the centers would be wiping out, but they are not. it does this regardless of air pressure. please provide an example of a car with even weight distribution. there are very few that are truly 50/50 except exotic sports cars or cars with mid mount engines. most are front biased, just like trucks.

Ford and firestone had an issue years ago with tire failures and explorers rolling over. guess what the cause of those failures were? under inflation!

I like to run all pressures equal all the way around. I don't mind the ride quality and actually think it's very good and if I have to suddenly pick up a heavy load, I don't have to worry about what air pressures I'm running or have to stop quick to air them up. I know they are good to go.

I could question why someone would run such low pressures in a tire rated for 80psi, but that's their choice. hopefully for their sake they remember to stop to inflate them before picking up heavy loads or they may overheat them. when a tire is run low on air pressure and heats up, bad things can happen.

as noted, it's personal preference. I won't criticize someone else's personal choice. if I have to replace tires more often because of the pressures I'm running, so be it. it's worth it to me, personally.

Last edited:

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The door sticker pressures are for full capacity when you're carrying 2000-3000 lbs. Again, to each his own.

My 2011 CTD 2500 had a light load button that changed the rear threshold to 45 psi while the front was 60. Why did they have this button that allowed less pressure in the rear tires? So why did FCA change this? Simple answer, liability and they didn't want it if someone tried to tow heavy with only 45psi.

Actually that's not correct, I have no clue where the door sticker pressure FCA specs is coming from... Front GAWR is 5500 lbs and Rear GAWR is 6000 lbs. GAWR combined is 11,500 lbs

Sooooo:

GVWR 10000 lbs: 50/45 PSI covered at 10,300 lbs

Combined GAWR 11,500lbs: 55 PSI covers front at 5680 lbs, 60 PSI covers rear at 6040 lbs.

55/60 covers your GAWRs... Exceed those and you can start breaking stuff...

FCA 60/80 Spec: 13,320 lbs WTF lol

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If my rears are over inflated, you'd never know that by looking at them. they are wearing dead even, straight across. if they were over inflated as you say, the centers would be wiping out, but they are not. it does this regardless of air pressure. please provide an example of a car with even weight distribution. there are very few that are truly 50/50 except exotic sports cars or cars with mid mount engines. most are front biased, just like trucks.

Ford and firestone had an issue years ago with tire failures and explorers rolling over. guess what the cause of those failures were? under inflation!

I like to run all pressures equal all the way around. I don't mind the ride quality and actually think it's very good and if I have to suddenly pick up a heavy load, I don't have to worry about what air pressures I'm running or have to stop quick to air them up. I know they are good to go.

I could question why someone would run such low pressures in a tire rated for 80psi, but that's their choice. hopefully for their sake they remember to stop to inflate them before picking up heavy loads or they may overheat them. when a tire is run low on air pressure and heats up, bad things can happen.

as noted, it's personal preference. I won't criticize someone else's personal choice. if I have to replace tires more often because of the pressures I'm running, so be it. it's worth it to me, personally.

IMO, for the 6.4L 2500s equipped with 275 70 18 Firestone tires, the door sticker should be 55/60 as per the Firestone tire loading chart. Not 60/80..

This covers the front and rear GAWRs (11,500 lbs total weight). Any more than this is well, dumb.

I personally will never have more than 55 in front and 60 in the rear in this truck.

Ford is to blame for the Firestone debacle. To this day U-haul will not rent any trailers to any Ford Explorer, nevermind that the newer ones have absolutely nothing in common with the Explorers involved in the fiasco. :roflsquared:

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
IMO, for the 6.4L 2500s equipped with 275 70 18 Firestone tires, the door sticker should be 55/60 as per the Firestone tire loading chart. Not 60/80..

This covers the front and rear GAWRs (11,500 lbs total weight). Any more than this .../QUOTE]

in your opinion. but that's just what it is, yours and not mine. I think your running around on underinflated tires is dumb, but that is my opinion and not fact, regardless of what charts you refer to. quite simply, your running an 80 psi tire at nearly half of it's max pressure. justify it however you want, but that's what your doing.

would you run a 44psi max pressure tire at 22 or 30 psi? how about a 35psi max at 25lbs?

go ahead and run a st rated trailer tire at highway speeds at half its max pressure and see how you make out.

good thing we can each do what we want with our own trucks. Good luck.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

This covers the front and rear GAWRs (11,500 lbs total weight). Any more than this .../QUOTE]

in your opinion. but that's just what it is, yours and not mine. I think your running around on underinflated tires is dumb, but that is my opinion and not fact, regardless of what charts you refer to. quite simply, your running an 80 psi tire at nearly half of it's max pressure. justify it however you want, but that's what your doing.

would you run a 44psi max pressure tire at 22 or 30 psi? how about a 35psi max at 25lbs?

go ahead and run a st rated trailer tire at highway speeds at half its max pressure and see how you make out.

good thing we can each do what we want with our own trucks. Good luck.

The difference is my opinions are based on facts and empirical evidence.

You do bring up a good point with the Explorer/Firestone fiasco. Ford spec'd tire pressures too low to improve its ride, again putting sales above customer safety.

Maybe FCA is the next for a fiasco/class action suit...

Please drive very carefully in the rain/snow. :favorites13:

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
It cracks me up how someone can share a thought/opinion online and send a forum into an uproar. I say I run mine at 70 psi and folks start in with your wearing your tires prematurely and that it's not the safest for the snow and ice etc...

Do I run my at 70 psi today? Yes. I like the performance of the truck and the tires are showing no sign of uneven wear. Does that prevent me from changing them to fit a certain situation tomorrow? Not at all.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hauled a cubic yard of landscape gravel today. Aired up the rear tires to 60 PSI.

I'd estimate around 2400-2600 lbs in the bed. Gotta admit I was nervous when the dozer came over with the bucket. :naughty:

Next load, I'm gonna put a pool noodle or something between the bed and cab. Got some gravel down there.

She handled it great, a little squat, but not bad considering over a metric ton in the bed. Rode like a Cadillac.

I payed close attention to the TPMS, no signs of any unusual pressure increase due to heat. :favorites13:

8dxkgTr.jpg

dhqUewl.jpg

zgYNxrg.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Teknoracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still been thinkin bout this. Talked to some techs at the local tire chain store too. They seem to think the E load rated tire should be run at the oem recommended pressure......but i still dont gdt why the rear is 80psi when the front only is 65...and the rear threshold min is 64 on my tpms. Hell max psi rating on the tire is 80 psi so running that psi cold once heated up its over maxx pressure!!! Really makes no sense to me.

Fyi im on the 20" tire not the 18" as some of u have refferred to

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Still been thinkin bout this. Talked to some techs at the local tire chain store too. They seem to think the E load rated tire should be run at the oem recommended pressure......but i still dont gdt why the rear is 80psi when the front only is 65...and the rear threshold min is 64 on my tpms. Hell max psi rating on the tire is 80 psi so running that psi cold once heated up its over maxx pressure!!! Really makes no sense to me.

Fyi im on the 20" tire not the 18" as some of u have refferred to

I'm surprised that your 5.7 hemi truck requires 65 in the front and not 60 but the 80 in the rear is the same for all 2500's and the mindset is that it's for towing. The weird part is what HvyDuty stated back in post #28 ... the full load capacity of the tires, when aired up fully, exceeded the Combined GAWR of the truck. IMO they're overcompensating. Obviously there are many opinions regarding the "correct" pressure to use. As I stated before, the best and easiest way to figure out proper pressure is the tire chalk test. It's a clear cut way to know if your tires are getting full contact with the ground.

IF you ever think you might want to do this, GO GET YOUR PIN CODES NOW!!! More and more guys are being refused 1 or both PIN's by dealers. Until recently, no one local to me has been refused but that just changed. I've had several others that have told me that they've been refused too so it seems like they're cracking down.

OP
OP
T

Teknoracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm surprised that your 5.7 hemi truck requires 65 in the front and not 60 but the 80 in the rear is the same for all 2500's and the mindset is that it's for towing. The weird part is what HvyDuty stated back in post #28 ... the full load capacity of the tires, when aired up fully, exceeded the Combined GAWR of the truck. IMO they're overcompensating. Obviously there are many opinions regarding the "correct" pressure to use. As I stated before, the best and easiest way to figure out proper pressure is the tire chalk test. It's a clear cut way to know if your tires are getting full contact with the ground.

IF you ever think you might want to do this, GO GET YOUR PIN CODES NOW!!! More and more guys are being refused 1 or both PIN's by dealers. Until recently, no one local to me has been refused but that just changed. I've had several others that have told me that they've been refused too so it seems like they're cracking down.

My truck is has the 6.4L so its 65f/80r..... I will get to the dealer this week and get those pin #'s