OEM fender flare coming off? Glue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Three of mine have had to be reattached under warranty. They did in fact remove, clean, and reattach the same ones with a better tape. They said it's a pain to do and they hire out the work. The first two came out beautifully. The third one, which was done later, not so great. Now I have to deal with the vinyl stuff on the door pillars, which is coming off.

jbaflyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
i had the same issue, 3k miles out of warranty. The dealer said they see this all the time and it is a pain to fix, they send it to an outside bodyshop. I also noticed the decal between the two door windows is chipping because the lengthwise corner was not wrapped tight. First time in 6 years I have had a disappointing assembly quality with the Ram 2500.

tbone63

Fast & Furious ish
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
3/4 on my 17 Laramie are coming off. I'm afraid to have them removed as I don't trust 3rd party paint work. I think I will do this myself.
I also have to get the front bumper aligned properly. PITA

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
So update, Took it to the dealer over a month ago (prob 2-3months ago) They had to order a flare (unpainted) then the bodyshop they get them painted at had to get "re-certified" by mopar for the repair. They just got it painted end of last week and I have it going in this Wednesday for replacement. I hope its the correct color and finish is good. I would love to keep the original as a backup but they wont let me keep it as it needs to be sent back to FCA.

GMcD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My buddy bought a brand new 2018 3500 Laramie and had this problem multiple times. He got so sick of them trying to fix it that he traded it in on an F350. Seems to me that the construction method is terrible for the body molding

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
My buddy bought a brand new 2018 3500 Laramie and had this problem multiple times. He got so sick of them trying to fix it that he traded it in on an F350. Seems to me that the construction method is terrible for the body molding

Traded it over fender flares... Hope that wasn't the only reason.

GMcD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Traded it over fender flares... Hope that wasn't the only reason.

That and he had terrible service through the local dealer. Most of the time it took 2 weeks for him to be seen for small issues

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Got the truck back last Wednesday. Flare looks fine, verified they did a decent job and seems to match the paint (slightly more orange peel than the factory paint but nothing to ***** about). I'll keep an eye on it staying down. Took them about 4 hrs to do it (when they called me to pick it up 9-1pm). I saw the work order when I was signing the paperwork and it showed over $400 for everything in the itemized list. New Part, Paint, install etc.

tbone63

Fast & Furious ish
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Nothing to do with the "construction method". It's just the 3M tape that is not cutting it. Way better than drilling into the fender.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Flare is still on!

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi! Congrats on the fender! Lol. All I do now is look at ram fender flares and see if they’re peeling and coming off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbone63

Fast & Furious ish
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
After reading so many issues where the dealer screws it up, I'm fixing it myself.
Tape paint to protect it from boo boos. Find a point on the flare that makes it all flush when pushing on it. Take a business card and put a drop of super glue on the corner nice and thin. Carefully spread it on a small area you identified earlier. No need to glue the entire thing. Push and hold for 10 seconds. Remove tape. Done. Should last forever. They make super glue debonder if need be and it won't hurt the clearcoat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I tried superglue... the issue is bonding to the adhesive foam tape. Mine wouldn't stick.

tbone63

Fast & Furious ish
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm using super glue made specifically not to attack foam. If you use the regular kind it dissolves foam. I fly model airplanes so that's how I know.

I did this on my Mazda 6 that has issues with aftermarket bits and it worked just fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Post a link to the glue. Might be a good idea for me to pick that up lol