Off Center Steering Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I know I am a fanatic but is there any easy way to correct an off center steering wheel or do I have to rely on an alignment technician to address the issue? Over the years, I have found very few alignment techs that have been able to get the wheel dead center when the vehicle is driving straight down a flat road. Even some of the factory settings are slightly off. I have had numerous new vehicles in my lifetime (87 cars and trucks since I began driving in 1964) and have had to address the issue many times. The ONLY vehicles that I have owned without this issue have been BMWs. They come from the factory perfect and the techs get it right every time I get an alignment.

My current truck is a 2014 Ram 1500 Regular Cab 2 Wheel Drive. The wheel is only slightly off center but I want it spot on. I doubt that there is an easy way to do it myself but thought I would ask the forum.

OP
OP
01Ram2500

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Posted this in Tech and got no response. Thought I would try again here in General Discussions:

"I know I am a fanatic but is there any easy way to correct an off center steering wheel or do I have to rely on an alignment technician to address the issue? Over the years, I have found very few alignment techs that have been able to get the wheel dead center when the vehicle is driving straight down a flat road. Even some of the factory settings are slightly off. I have had numerous new vehicles in my lifetime (87 cars and trucks since I began driving in 1964) and have had to address the issue many times. The ONLY vehicles that I have owned without this issue have been BMWs. They come from the factory perfect and the techs get it right every time I get an alignment.

My current truck is a 2014 Ram 1500 Regular Cab 2 Wheel Drive. The wheel is only slightly off center but I want it spot on. I doubt that there is an easy way to do it myself but thought I would ask the forum."

Thanks, Dave

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't know about the new stuff but back in the 70's and 80's , when we would change anything on the front suspension and would need to center the wheel. We would get the alignment done , then just pull the wheel and clock it which ever way it needed to go then put it back on.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The only way that get the wheel centred is to have an alignment.

You’re going to have a hard time getting it 100% perfect.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a new alignment guy. They are not all created equal.

They have a way to read the steering angle sensor to make it straight and the tech isn’t doing it. Get service manager involved if you want to work with them; otherwise try a new place.

OP
OP
01Ram2500

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Don't know about the new stuff but back in the 70's and 80's , when we would change anything on the front suspension and would need to center the wheel. We would get the alignment done , then just pull the wheel and clock it which ever way it needed to go then put it back on.

Yeah. Those were the good old day for sure.

OP
OP
01Ram2500

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Get a new alignment guy. They are not all created equal.

They have a way to read the steering angle sensor to make it straight and the tech isn’t doing it. Get service manager involved if you want to work with them; otherwise try a new place.

In the last 50 years, I have not found but 2 alignment techs that really took the time and had the knowledge to get it right. I specifically asked the shop to make absolutely sure the steering wheel was perfectly centered and they could not do it. I guess I am going to have to find another shop.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the last 50 years, I have not found but 2 alignment techs that really took the time and had the knowledge to get it right. I specifically asked the shop to make absolutely sure the steering wheel was perfectly centered and they could not do it. I guess I am going to have to find another shop.

The only other possibility is that they aren't setting cross caster correctly and if it is set to less than 0.5 deg you should have little issue. You got an alignment sheet you can post? If its all green yet a large difference on each side it will also pull.

OP
OP
01Ram2500

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The only other possibility is that they aren't setting cross caster correctly and if it is set to less than 0.5 deg you should have little issue. You got an alignment sheet you can post? If its all green yet a large difference on each side it will also pull.

Did not get an alignment sheet. Truck does not pull at all. Tracks perfectly straight down the road. It is just that the steering wheel is slightly turned to the right while doing so. I pulled out my 2014 Ram Shop Manual to see what it said. Not sure why I did not do this before. Here is what it says:

"Condition: Steering Wheel is Off Center
Possible Causes: Front toe is out of adjustment (this is the only cause listed)
Evaluation/Correction: Perform wheel alignment. Make sure to perform the Clear Steering Pull Compensation and Vehicle Trim procedures with the steering wheel lock still on the steering wheel.

Toe Adjustment - Rack and Pinion Steering
1. Start the engine and turn wheels both ways before straightening the wheels. Secure the steering wheel with the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
2. Loosen the rod jam nuts (2).
3. Adjust the wheel toe position by turning the inner tie rod as necessary.
4. Tighten the tie rod jam nut to 94 ft. lbs.
5. View the specifications.
6. Road test the vehicle."

If appears the tech may not have take the time to make sure the steering wheel was perfectly straight before locking it. I know for a fact he did NOT road test the vehicle. Just good old "less than precision" work you see in the alignment business every day of the week.

I also suspect the alignment job and steering wheel setting is considered within spec. Interestingly, my Charger Scat Pack came from the factory with exactly the same condition. I have been afraid to let anyone touch it. I fear the cure might be worse than the disease.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Newbie here and I'm not trying to step on toes or offend but, all my vehicles tend to have this problem.

I'm a big guy and 280lbs in the front seat on the drivers side can mess with a vehicles balance. I mentioned it to the alignment guy at a local shop when I went in to schedule and he asked me if I could bring in weights from a weight bench that equaled my weight. When I asked why, he pointed out the shop window to a big guy working there and said "It's what I do for his car and it'll align perfect and be balanced for you. Steering wheel will be straight".

Brought in 275lbs in weight, put them in the front seat and some on the floor right in front of the seat, lined up perfect. This was NOT my RAM 1500 but I will be doing the same thing when I put the level kit on and they align it.