Oil Change! Follow dash oil life indicator or By miles/Date?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello just a question for you guys what should we be following regarding the oil change.
The dash tells you how much time you have until you have to change your oil but yet again the dealership gives you the little sticky with the miles or date you should be bringing it back. I know that might be a bring me your money back tactic.

But what do you guys think? What's the best way to follow to ensure a long life for my truck

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For me, the cost of getting it changed once a year with the free state inspection is minimal....and yes, they use the sticker too....3000 miles

I drive so little on average, changing it more often is not needed. 2012 with 17,850 or so on it right now, and I got it brand new in July 2012

Now, I am gonna take it in early for an oil change, as I am taking a trip to AR end of the month for my oldest nieces wedding...gonna put 2500-3000 on it in that 2 week time frame

Joji91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I change mine every 5k miles. I just did my 3rd oil change at 14k I don't let the oil life gauge tell me when to change, every time I have done an oil change it still shows 40%+ life left. I use mobile1 advanced full synthetic oil and Fram ultra synthetic oil filter

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally, if using conventional oil and paper filter I stick to 6mos or oil life monitor which ever comes first. If you use a synthetic filter and oil I'd go by the oil life monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I run full synthetic with a premium filter. Change at 6000 miles or so. Also check airfilter each oil change and replace as needed.

34,000 miles and counting on my 14 ram 1500 with the 5.7l.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hello just a question for you guys what should we be following regarding the oil change.
The dash tells you how much time you have until you have to change your oil but yet again the dealership gives you the little sticky with the miles or date you should be bringing it back. I know that might be a bring me your money back tactic.

But what do you guys think? What's the best way to follow to ensure a long life for my truck

I did a lot of research on the dependability of the oil monitor. Seems they are very reliable. Had my oil changed at a Chrysler dealer in Maine last year. They didn't put a sticker on it and I asked why not? They said too many people automatically come in at 3-5,000 miles for a change and they are wasting their money. I figure if a dealer is turning away business/money they must be committed to the monitor.

rabbitreborn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've consulted 3 different dealers regarding this question and gotten 3 different answers....

My selling dealer told me to change it every 5000 miles (knowing they would not be doing the oil changes because they are too far away)

The closest dealer to me said to follow the oil life indicator (again, they know I won't take it to them because of past problems with their service department, but I still have contacts there to talk to when I need it)

The dealer that I have doing my periodic service and any recall/warranty work tells me to run 7500 miles between changes. Since they also are the ones I purchase the 4 oil change package from, I guess I will go with their recommendations.

Funny thing is, Pennzoil says it is good for 10,000 miles between changes......

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
for me once a year is sufficient, I drain or should say I have the dealer drain the oil for new PUP as I don't want the summer miles sitting in the motor all winter. Yikes 2015 with 11000 miles, better slow it down before things start breaking lol

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I follow the oil monitor or every 6 months, which ever comes first.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I follow the oil monitor or every 6 months, which ever comes first.

How many miles do you put on at 6 months? That is what should be used to determine change requirements. Mileage and if that mileage was hard mileage (towing, lots of short trips, etc). People that go like sheep for an oil change solely based on a time frame are normally either wasting money by changing too soon or risking motor issues by changing too late.

15ramrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
you could have your oil analyzed. the lab will tell you at how many miles your oil starts to break down.

Blackstone Labs

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500, Hemi 5.7, 3.21
My dealer said to follow the monitor. However, at my rate that would be an oil change every year and a half. I'm not willing to risk it, especially since my commute is about 2.5 miles each way, at low speeds, so it never really warms the engine all the way up. So I get it changed roughly every eight months or so.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My dealer said to follow the monitor. However, at my rate that would be an oil change every year and a half. I'm not willing to risk it, especially since my commute is about 2.5 miles each way, at low speeds, so it never really warms the engine all the way up. So I get it changed roughly every eight months or so.

Same here....I drove it to & from work every day for about 7 months when my jeep was out of service (my normal daily driver), and you would never know it from the mileage.

Round trip for me to & from work, depending on which way I go, can be between 5 & 10 miles, usually 7. If it weren't for the big rail yard between my house & work, it'd be ~4 miles round trip.

40% of the miles that are on mine are from 3 trips to florida for family visits & such.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I drive a lot. I also use PUP and Royal Purple filter. So, I change it every 10k. The last two UOA's showed the oil still had life left.

YMMV

Reactions: SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Your right it is a somewhat of a guess!! But actually knows more then the owners when it comes to the actual state of health within the oil itself.

Actually if you do some research--->The 2013-newer keep close track of Many parameters as well as a handful of algorithms.

I have seen as well as read about these reaching limits between 5,500 miles & 8K miles. A few have reached 10K miles. A lot depends on your driving style / habits.

One thing---> 3/4 of Owners don't have a clue what shape their oil is in when they drain it! Most drain their oil with the oil still having 3-5K miles of life left.
At least the OLM gives you a decent Idea!

1. If you really are curious? Run your oil to 6-8K mile OCI.
2. Send in a UOA requesting a TBN report.
3. The lab will tell you how much life remains within the oil you sent in as well as how much further to extend your OCI or if you have reached the oils life limit.
4. Remember these reports Might show different results depending on whether you are using a conventional oil compared to a synthetic oil.
5. Compare the labs recommendations with your OLM.

Once again this ALL depends on your driving style / habits! Everyone's is different. As well as whether you run Conventional or Synthetic oil.
No one knows for sure what type of oil these Monitors were calibrated with & created for.

My simple guess would be Conventional.

I actually think it is a Smart thing to Know the limits of the oil (which is the life blood of your expensive investment) which you are using.

GM has actually incorporated a really intelligent OLM system! Rams is very similar.

Last edited: