Oil change per sticker or dashboard oil life indicator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry, duplicate.

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a guy on you tube who I trust more then Scott. His name is Eric. He put the oil in his car and will show the results in a year.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Eric the Car Guy perhaps?
Was it him that stopped doing his videos so he could go on to his Fairmont project to race it or something?

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Are you an engineer? I would tend to believe an engineer.

Amsoil has 15K and 20K oil filters.

It is doubtful you could clog up an oil filter by using a 15 or 20K Amsoil filter unless you had some real bad prior problems.

Yes, but I am not an automotive engineer. I am also cheap as hell. I don't find value in stretching the life span of an $8 part for some odd longevity reason. I drive my vehicles as long as possible. If you are the type who trades in their truck every 3 years, who cares? I however want to avoid future issues. Also, I have the lifetime warranty from Chrysler and want to make sure I meet all requirements. Changing the factory fill at 1200 miles might be excessive but it may also help remove any burrs or other break in results from the engine. It's baffling to want to run oil longer than 10k miles IMO. I used to sell Amsoil and tried my hardest to get people to switch from Mobil 1. I was mainly trying to push it's lubricating and detergent benefits rather than the extended drain interval marketing spiel. It was a tough sell as Mobil 1 is a great product and readily available locally. Due to specifications for the Hemi, I run PP and a Fram Ultra synthetic filter for 8500 miles.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, but I am not an automotive engineer. I am also cheap as hell. I don't find value in stretching the life span of an $8 part for some odd longevity reason. I drive my vehicles as long as possible. If you are the type who trades in their truck every 3 years, who cares? I however want to avoid future issues. Also, I have the lifetime warranty from Chrysler and want to make sure I meet all requirements. Changing the factory fill at 1200 miles might be excessive but it may also help remove any burrs or other break in results from the engine. It's baffling to want to run oil longer than 10k miles IMO. I used to sell Amsoil and tried my hardest to get people to switch from Mobil 1. I was mainly trying to push it's lubricating and detergent benefits rather than the extended drain interval marketing spiel. It was a tough sell as Mobil 1 is a great product and readily available locally. Due to specifications for the Hemi, I run PP and a Fram Ultra synthetic filter for 8500 miles.

Go back to post 50 and re-read what you wrote and my response.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Go back to post 50 and re-read what you wrote and my response.

I realize you are talking specifically about clogged oil filters. Typically that only happens when an extremely dirty engine that was under maintained has synthetic or an engine flush added. My point was normal driving might be ok for long drain intervals but why risk it? In the end, I don't care what you do with your truck. I try to help people by blending common sense with saving money. I shake my head at people who change synthetic at 5k miles but it's really not a big deal and the price of oil is not bad compared to repair bills. My first car had bad sludge problems. I replaced the heads and did 3k miles oil changes on regular oil. I eventually got 175k miles out of that car (Yamaha V6, 1991 SHO) before it spun a bearing. I would liked to have kept that car a little longer or sold it to someone who appreciated it. The first 140k miles of it's life were not good for the engine.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Eric the Car Guy perhaps?
Was it him that stopped doing his videos so he could go on to his Fairmont project to race it or something?
Yeap thats him. That sucks he stopped making videos. I really like him.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: MMM

RixRox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replace my oil at the 25% Mark on my gauge. No more than 20%.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
It's not new, Amsoil has been around for years. If you believe all the hype 25k/ 1 year.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Seems like I read some years back in the late 60's that the oil was developed for USA Fighter Aircraft's....way before any one herd of Synthetic oils. The oil back then was made for and tested on air craft motors to survive threw very tough conditions and abuse from Long term extreme heat under stress!! I do not use Amsoil but I know it paved the way for all the synthetic oils in use today.

Only issue I have with Mobil 1 its not approved for MOPAR motors last several years.

Last edited:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems like I read some years back in the late 60;s that the oil was developed for USA Fighter Aircraft's....way before any one herd of Synthetic oils. The oil back them made air craft motors survive very threw very tough conditions and abuse from Long term extreme heat!!
Yeah, it was avaition originated, I'm thinking latter part of 70's is when it was available to general public. At that time it was the cat's meow. Over the years other companies and the oil industry has caught up to or even surpassed them. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good oil and I still use it in some of my vehicles but it don't stand alone anymore.

Schultzestrength

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My dealer put a sticker on my window that says to change it at 5000. I will change it somewhere around that and go to a full synthetic.

I will probably extend it out a little further after my first oil change but only to 6 or 7k.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, it was avaition originated, I'm thinking latter part of 70's is when it was available to general public. At that time it was the cat's meow. Over the years other companies and the oil industry has caught up to or even surpassed them. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good oil and I still use it in some of my vehicles but it don't stand alone anymore.

Yes that was my understanding years back and was developed in the 40's during WW2.

I had to edit my post Geez!!! I got way over in left field with words!! He He.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check Eric's video. Send out oil for testing after 1 year of driving

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check Eric's video. Send out oil for testing after 1 year of driving

Mobile 1 is a great oil with no doubt. The Video is very informative. It would be interesting to see the same test comparing other oils such as PUP which is required to run in MOPAR. Wish Mobil 1 would apply the additive MOPAR requires so we could run Mobil 1 or other choosing of oils. No one would say Mobil 1 is a bad oil at all. But after spending 45 to 80 Grand on a New MOPAR truck one would not want to have arguments with MOPAR if Warranty work should be needed on the motor. The Big car Companies may not win the legal battle but they can sure drag one out to cost us little guys lots of $$$ to fight it!

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mobile 1 is a great oil with no doubt. The Video is very informative. It would be interesting to see the same test comparing other oils such as PUP which is required to run in MOPAR. Wish Mobil 1 would apply the additive MOPAR requires so we could run Mobil 1 or other choosing of oils. No one would say Mobil 1 is a bad oil at all. But after spending 45 to 80 Grand on a New MOPAR truck one would not want to have arguments with MOPAR if Warranty work should be needed on the motor. The Big car Companies may not win the legal battle but they can sure drag one out to cost us little guys lots of $$$ to fight it!
There is no special additives that are required to be Mopar approved, it's just submitting to their stupid 2 year test.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is no special additives that are required to be Mopar approved, it's just submitting to their stupid 2 year test.

Learn something new every day. That is so stupid of MOPAR. One also has to question the intelligence of Mobil 1 not submitting and performing the test for the added revenue by many of us as well.

Last edited:

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Copy and paste this blog for those who may be interested,its not indexed but is very informative on a subject of oils that has been beat to death on many forums. Since its such a light read! :)

After reading the introduction one will have to search for areas you may be interested in or the oils you want to research from a non-biased gear head engineer.

Last edited: