Oil Filter struggle and remote filter kit install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I see references about upgrading the hose size all over, but I have yet to find a reason why.

I ordered my kit yesterday and hope to get it in next week before vacation. I'll probably go with the hose barbs - at least for now.
I’m sure you will be fine with the way the kit comes...... the only reason I upgraded my hose and fittings is because I wanted to dress it up a bit. So I went stainless braided line with some nice colorful red/blue anodized fittings.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I see references about upgrading the hose size all over, but I have yet to find a reason why.

I ordered my kit yesterday and hope to get it in next week before vacation. I'll probably go with the hose barbs - at least for now.

Bigger hoses and fittings flow a bigger volumne of fluid.You're probably good to go with the 1/2" lines the kit comes with,but a lot of us did upgrade to 5/8" /-10 lines for piece of mind

vwboomer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bigger hoses and fittings flow a bigger volume of fluid.You're probably good to go with the 1/2" lines the kit comes with,but a lot of us did upgrade to 5/8" /-10 lines for piece of mind

Except you're not using bigger fittings. It's still 1/2 passage into and out of the oil plates. The flare side of the fittings is 5/8, but the internal diameter is still 1/2". Plus, adding more 90'd turns with the elbows adds more restriction to flow.

1/2"--->5/8"--->1/2"

So it doesn't hurt anything, and the 90 fittings certainly make for nicer routing, but I can't see it actually improving anything.

Course, that's just the way I see it, and I didn't stay at a HOliday Inn Express last night.

Hankrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I've had my kit, 10an fittings and braided hose waiting for the next oil change. The spin on adapter and relocated bases installed just fine. The braided hose would not go in the fittings though. I had to resort to using the rubber hose that came with the kit.
Anyone else have any trouble getting the fittings onto the braided hose?
This is the hose I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT5C6HO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had issues for a hot minute with cheap braided hose and cheap no-name fittings, mainly I had leaks. Then I spent some coin for actual race-bred, tried and true kit: non-braided high PSI hose from Vibrant and fittings from Fragola (would’ve gone Vibrant but they were twice as much as Fragola per fitting, and I trust both brands). The hose was super tight into the fittings; but with a little lube, determination and elbow grease I got them all situated tight and leak free.

Buy once, cry once and pay to play ... or continue buying crap a couple times over or more when you could have done it right for the same amount you’ve spent (or less) and a lot less heartache and ass pain.

This is what I got:

Hose-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FS6EZ8O?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

90* fittings x4-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009S5E09A?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Straight fittings-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002VINHC2?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Also, on the 90* fittings, I got 2 black and 2 blue/red so I could differentiate the separate lines so I wouldn’t cross them and have no oil pressure. Remember, “out” goes to “in” and “in” goes to “out”, never pair them out/out or in/in. This goes when routing from engine to relocation point and vice versa.

Last edited:

Hankrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I had issues for a hot minute with cheap braided hose in cheap no-name fittings, mainly I had leaks. Then I spent some coin for actual race-bred, tried and true kit: non-braided high PSI hose from Vibrant and fittings from Fragola (would’ve gone Vibrant but they were twice as much as Fragola per fitting, and I trust both brands). The hose was super tight into the fittings; but with a little lube, determination and elbow grease I got them all situated tight and leak free.

Buy once, cry once and pay to play ... or continue buying crap a couple times over or more when you could have done it right for the same amount you’ve spent (or less) and a lot less heartache and ass pain.

My problem is the braid on the hose is tight but wont allow the fitting to go over it. It keeps bunching up and not allowing the fitting collar to go over it.

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you cutting with a proper hose cutter, grinder with cut off wheel or other?

There was a YouTube video I used at first with the crap hose, where you tape the end you want to cut, can’t remember if it was duck or painters tape and then you cut in center of the tape. It leaves that end tight and the braids not frayed or bunched up. They were cutting with a grinder.

Hankrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Are you cutting with a proper hose cutter, grinder with cut off wheel or other?
I tried the fitting on the precut end first. It was taped up before it was cut and had a clean end. It seems the 10an fitting was a tad too small for the 10an hose. Of course like you said, it may be the the cheap AN fittings causing this.

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s a combo of both. I bought a set of 4 10AN 90* fittings and the 4 straight fittings on eBay for like $25 or so and ended up trashing them after trying to get them to take the cheap (10 ft for $15, again on eBay) braided hose. I tightened the crap out of them in the hose ends and to where they attach to the straight fittings as well.

Once I removed the whole set up, and nutted up and paid for good kit; I found that once I removed all the cheap faulty stuff the threads on the straight fittings were chipped here and there and the hose loosely fit the 90* fittings, hence my leaks.

I will also add for the threads I used the ARP thread sealer on the Fragola fittings. And a little goes a long way:

5F48881A-FC6B-45BF-AE79-70EB72927348.jpeg

Part/serial 100-9904 is what you would use in your search on Amazon or EBay.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963