Oil leak out of the box.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bad news, the oil leak is back. I've maybe put 500 or more miles on it. I don't know what to think. Being under warranty is one thing. But the nuisance of a leak on my garage floor irritates the crap out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bad news, the oil leak is back. I've maybe put 500 or more miles on it. I don't know what to think. Being under warranty is one thing. But the nuisance of a leak on my garage floor irritates the crap out of me.

Ahhhhhh!....sorry to hear that. I was hoping you would have better luck then me. Is there an actual drip? After mine was "fix", I see it wet but no drip forming. Ram will not fix it unless there's a drip forming.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I question whether the issue is actually the rear main seal or if there is a defect in the block. Back in early 2012 my dad ordered a brand new Charger with the 5.7. When he brought it by on his way home from the dealer, I noticed a drip in my driveway. We got under it, and saw oil in pretty much the same spot as you guys. My first thought was the rear main seal due to the location.

We brought it in, and they said the seal looked fine. A rep from corporate ended up coming out and believed it to be a flaw in the casting. They replaced the engine and sent the old one to Auburn Hills for analysis.

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ahhhhhh!....sorry to hear that. I was hoping you would have better luck then me. Is there an actual drip? After mine was "fix", I see it wet but no drip forming. Ram will not fix it unless there's a drip forming.

Thanks. Taking it back tomorrow for another look. If they can't fix it, I'll push for a replacement engine. It is dripping.

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I question whether the issue is actually the rear main seal or if there is a defect in the block. Back in early 2012 my dad ordered a brand new Charger with the 5.7. When he brought it by on his way home from the dealer, I noticed a drip in my driveway. We got under it, and saw oil in pretty much the same spot as you guys. My first thought was the rear main seal due to the location.

We brought it in, and they said the seal looked fine. A rep from corporate ended up coming out and believed it to be a flaw in the casting. They replaced the engine and sent the old one to Auburn Hills for analysis.

Hmmm, I'll ask them to put a straight edge on the casting around the bearing retainer. Who knows. Tired of parking over a tarp.

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They pulled the tranny again. Tracked it up to he oil valley plug. The fix was silicon. Hope that lasts. They don't think the rear main was ever the problem now.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They pulled the tranny again. Tracked it up to he oil valley plug. The fix was silicon. Hope that lasts. They don't think the rear main was ever the problem now.

What is the oil valley plug??

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good question, lol. Just the term the service manager used to describe the problem and repair.

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I picked up the truck I asked for more detail and they said with the tranny out the leaking oil valley plug is in the back of the block and was what was leaking down onto the rear main area. So, it's above and to the side of the main seal below the head. I believe he said there were two plugs. One leaking/fixed. I can't be certain. They feel it will be good to go now. I hope they are right.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best pic I could find, I think this is what they're talking about?
7204f995a756a02d2591d465a89041cf.jpg

Mine was leaking like yours and then it mysteriously stopped. Wonder if this is where it was leaking. Mine was never dripping, just damp. Dealer wouldn't do anything because it wasn't dripping...

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Doesn't look safe at all hanging back there like that. I wouldn't want to be driving behind it. And for the oil Yeah all of it accumulated at the back of the engine.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
That sucks. Be prepared that they will not classify it as a "leak" until droplets actually form. Seepage and staining is not considered a leak without the droplets.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That sucks. Be prepared that they will not classify it as a "leak" until droplets actually form. Seepage and staining is not considered a leak without the droplets.

Pretty much. Chrysler’s stand point is unless it will cause a significant loss of oil it’s not a leak.

Honestly though that little bit of a stain is not even a reason to worry.

Both my 2014 and 2017 had that little bit of a stain and never went beyond that. It’s not worth removing the tranny for.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not arguing with you but if you look at my original post when truck was new there was a droplet, albeit nothing on the ground.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty much. Chrysler’s stand point is unless it will cause a significant loss of oil it’s not a leak.

Honestly though that little bit of a stain is not even a reason to worry.

Both my 2014 and 2017 had that little bit of a stain and never went beyond that. It’s not worth removing the tranny for.
Thanks, I was worried when I first had the truck from new and noticed it then. But not now. The techs put dye in my engine oil ( I think I posted about it a year or so ago on this same thread ) .

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks, I was worried when I first had the truck from new and noticed it then. But not now. The techs put dye in my engine oil ( I think I posted about it a year or so ago on this same thread ) .

lol, did they actually put dye in the oil? If they did they just made it even more difficult to tell if it’s the tranny or engine leaking. The 8 speed fluid looks a lot like engine oil and has a dye in it from the factory. So now if they use a UV light it’s going to glow no matter what and you still won’t know what it is, since both fluids will now have dye in them.