Oil Pressure Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Medic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Yesterday I completed the following on my 99 1500 4x4 5.2L:

1. Hughes Plenum Repair Kit
2. Cap, Rotor, Plugs, & Wires
3. Fuel Injector O-Rings
4. Valve Cover Gaskets

Added coolant, started the truck up and it runs great. Got it to operating temp had no leaks so I took it for a test ride. About halfway around the block the oil pressure dropped to zero with the "check gauges" light on. Got it home checked the oil and added about 1.5 quarts of oil.

Had to drive it to work about 2.5 miles, again it happened mid trip. Once at work I was able to change the oil. When I drove home I made it about a block from my house and the pressure went to zero, I took my foot off the gas and it would come up. Drive a little bit drop, foot off comes up, and back and forth.

I just bought a new oil catch pan and when I transfered the oil from my truck to a gallon container I found a hunk of plastic in the funnel. I have no clue if it's from my oil pan or left over from from when the catch was molded.

I don't want to drop the oil pan unless I have to so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Best, Bret

OP
OP
M

Medic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
That's what I'm learning towards. Thanks for the reply. I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
If you are going in there then change out the oil pump pickup tube as they are a **** poor design.

OP
OP
M

Medic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Took about 6 hours to complete but project complete. Hopefully the picture uploaded of all the junk in the screen.

When I first fired it up I was hearing the oil pump run. After it warned up it went away. Remembered I needed to add more oil due to it being the high volume pump. Took it for a good run again heard the pump running at first. Getting good pressures about 70 at first then 40-60 when warm.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 45

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Care to elaborate?

See Medic's photo to understand why I don't like them. One small spot for picking up oil and if it plugs its right under the supply tube not good at all.

Have a look at the Melling Oil Pump Screen Assemblies 265-S, full open bottom and better flowing tube.

Silver Tex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took about 6 hours to complete but project complete. Hopefully the picture uploaded of all the junk in the screen.

When I first fired it up I was hearing the oil pump run. After it warned up it went away. Remembered I needed to add more oil due to it being the high volume pump. Took it for a good run again heard the pump running at first. Getting good pressures about 70 at first then 40-60 when warm.

Add more oil for H.V. pump...now I'm confused. Is this true? How much more? Just installed one and want to have the levels correct when I start it?
Thanks!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
HV pump does not take/need more oil in the pan. HV pump will not suck the pan dry either.