Oil Pressure Zero, yet truck runs fine? Help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EtherealAlex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318 Magnum
Need help. Got a 92 Dodge W150 5.2L 4x4. Oil pressure is always at the zero section of the guage. Oil light is always on. If in fact i had no oil pressure at all i doubt my truck would be in one piece haha. So, I imagine the oil pressure sending unit. Where is that in my truck? My guess is near the distributor. What does this part look like? Is there a different problem you might think is happening instead? Truck runs and drives fine, I just want the guage at a regular spot and the light to turn off.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yep, oil pressure sensor more than likely. Worst case scenario it's the gauge in the cluster, but the sensor is easy enough to replace.

It is located near the dizzy and it's rather bell-shaped and will have a connector on it....or should.

OP
OP
E

EtherealAlex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318 Magnum
Thanks! I'll go get the part from Napa tomorrow when I'm off work. Gotta love how much room there is, should be easy to get to. Might aswell do my distributor cap and rotor, and spark plugs while I'm at it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you're gonna be at the parts house, and back there on the engine, might as well. lol

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If its always at 0 and never varies check and make sure the wire didn't just come off the sending unit.

OP
OP
E

EtherealAlex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318 Magnum
I was gonna get the wires with the plugs but they said something about a head shield, had no idea what that is. They wanted like $45 for them. Lol I mean I figured I'd as if I should get the new wires for the plugs rather than go with the part even the guys at Napa didn't know what it was for.

OP
OP
E

EtherealAlex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318 Magnum
Sounds better than spendinng $30 :p definitely should check that

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I was under the impression you had already verified the status of the connector. lol

OP
OP
E

EtherealAlex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318 Magnum
Well I had asked where it was located so I could get at it. Otherwise I had no clue, I'm about to go take a look actually.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you usually need a special tool to get to them the sending unit out. sending units on these things are know to go bad after 15 or so years. i ended up installing a mechanical gauge along with the normal sending unit just so i always know the exact pressure.

OP
OP
E

EtherealAlex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318 Magnum
Hmm well i'll find out about that tomorrow for sure! Thanks for the heads up. Question for you guys though. I turned the truck off roughly 5 minutes ago. After driving for about 30 minutes. Right now it's making a sort of ticking sound near the fuel tank. Sort of like water coming down the gutters from the roof of your house. Honestly, it's a bit weird.

OP
OP
E

EtherealAlex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318 Magnum
Okay swapped out the sensor, nothing. Still doesn't show up on the dash guage. Ill check the wiring, if that all turns out good. Ill assume its the guage.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Ref: Ticking noise, that's typical for Chrysler products.. Its the exhaust parts that are cooling and contracting... I don't think you have anything to worry about.