On board AIR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Anyone running an on board air compressor setup? Maybe some Power Wagon guys?

I'm getting tired of airing my rear tires up and down before and after towing and hauling. Would be nice to have a system on board that could adjust the rear pressures from the cab.

As we all know, 80 psi is stupid, wears out tires, dangerous in rain/ice/snow and beats occupants to death on an unloaded truck.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How would you attach them to the wheels? I know our old ARFF truck and some military trucks had built in systems but that would require replacing axles, hubs and about everything related.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
On board air is easy. Controlling your tire pressure from the cab, not so much.

I did see this while perusing some videos about driving at OBX. It's meant for commercial vehicles.

tireboss.com

OP
OP
H

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the link. Cab control is a no go haha(kits for commercial trucks only and it looks like the lines are exposed), would be awesome to have the capability though.

What does everyone think of this kit?:

Medium Duty OBA | VIAIR Corporation

I'd like to mount something like this under or beside the frame, I think the engine bay would heat up the components too much though there is plenty of room.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had a Helwig air system on my 01 Duramax. The compressor and tank were mounted under and between the frame rails. Worked well and also had a gauge and dual switches for airing up my rear bags. I also had a separate air quick connect under the hood so I could air up tires or whatever was needed. Worked well.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thanks for the link. Cab control is a no go haha(kits for commercial trucks only and it looks like the lines are exposed), would be awesome to have the capability though.

I'd like to mount something like this under or beside the frame, I think the engine bay would heat up the components too much though there is plenty of room.

No personal experience with it but, Jeepers have been using VIAIR for years. I don't think you can go wrong with the brand.

spence36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
I have a Viair on board set up and love it just used it to fill
Up 4 of my trailer tires form 45 psi to 80 and my 35x12.50truck tires from 45psi to 70 did them all in about 20min can’t beat it used to take over an our and if there were other peeps at the service station way longer there very good. !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Road King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

I have that kit mounted under the passenger side. Works great for my train horns :rockit:

Not so sure how well it will work inflating tires back to 80 psi though. I haven't even tried with my truck - don't want to risk burning out that tiny compressor. I did run a separate connection into the engine compartment though, just in case I ever need to air up a tire after a plug, but haven't needed to yet.

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
I mounted that exact kit on my old Ecodiesel. I mounted it in the passenger side Rambox and with two 25' coil hoses I could reach all of my truck and trailer tires with no problem. Haven't had time to install yet it on my "new to me" Cummins 2500.

It works well if you pay attention to the duty cycle on the compressor.

Reuben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had the ARB twin on my JL Rubicon. I repurposed it into a Craftsman tool box with some old jumper cables. It’s an amazing compressor.

9CD2F349-EC3B-45E1-9C3C-6DF0E1D13EC2.jpeg

2760A7D8-9A52-45AB-9742-9AD519A9772A.jpeg

63E201AD-7494-4A2C-9E0F-6C9D9305A925.jpeg

Abell34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
You may want to consider what alot of offroad guys use. Basically a fire extinguisher sized co2 tank with a specialty nozzle. They use them instead of compressors so they can reinflate giant tires when they blow the bead on the trail. About a hundred times faster than small compressors and one tank can inflate hundreds of tires. Couple bucks to refill at a weld shop when empty. Theres some premade kits available or you could build your own. Im consodering a very small tank to use on my side by side trips instead of the slime compressor i currently carry.