Onboard Air System and Train Horn Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Well I finished my install of an onboard air system with train horns and I feel like I did it really well and took all lot of pics... seemed only appropriate to share it and help others and answer questions... that's why we're all here, right? Feel free to ask questions here or PM me if you'd like... here we go!

Train Horn: Kleinn Train Horns - Train Horn | 4WheelParts.com

Onboard Air System: VIAIR - Medium-Duty Onboard Air System | 4WheelParts.com

I struggled finding the right place to mount the tank but I ended up buying some pretty heavy duty L brackets from Home Depot and attached them to the underside of the passenger side of the truck with #10 1" Self tapping screws. Eventually I used a bolt, washer, the tank, another washer, a locking washer and finally the nut to attach the tank to the brackets. I used one of the bracket holes existing and drilled another for the other side of the tank.

771d29fef3ccb5fc99d7e0ca6005dd3e.jpg

3e1e3e9a103eba88c52429c6a79fbc5b.jpg

0021ae88f883d3b916f67a904d9d42a7.jpg

9217a01f4ccfb9891824f2452ead0353.jpg

I decided to get crafty and use the storage bin under the rear floor mats for the compressor because I couldn't find a good location where it was close to the air tank and safe from a lot of water.

c03989acb9a562ba8b4d10a617da3232.jpg

10315ed0a26a36414e1ed557e05daafe.jpg

However it turns out that the compressor gets a little toasty and more importantly, the plastic bin acts as a sound amplifier and reverberates when the compressor is running and is somewhat uncomfortable when it runs, especially with the windows up and AC on. So the compressor got moved and I ended up using the extension tubing and flipped the compartment around and feeding the extension tubing in so the air filter will still be free from water and mounted the compressor further back on the frame with the same self tapping screws mentioned above. The only thing I may try to change is to add the provided bushings between the compressor and frame in perhaps preventing unnecessary vibration when the compressor is running, but I'm undecided in that... it's already much quieter on the outside. I used a flexi air hose to connect the extra distance and reach the compressor, also from Home Depot.

8b6ba0c4fcbbe30fb0817a6c8453ce85.jpg

d9578112db51ffcb25a516a6e39af1a2.jpg

c40603e1a644b0626faa5d1e4222bc29.jpg

8e44032cf5904b4a6789057b78e3a274.jpg

I used a corner bracket with the self tapping screws again and drilled it into the frame under the front of the truck. Then attached the horns to the bottom side of the corner brace. I didn't like the idea of the horns being too low or in the back because I felt they'd lose effectiveness or get damaged. This is a perfect spot IMO.

884c383e65c32bd9867a7eb81ca45ee4.jpg

0cab382c5cba7a093fe915fb51bc59ed.jpg

I ran a line from the air tank to a quick connect installed in the rear bumper for air tool connection, it's pretty handy to have IMO and pretty easy. I used a Universal connector from Home Depot that will allow automotive and industrial air tools connections.

be9b154e643d720e3f855d3b34f04855.jpg

I installed the 1/4" tubing from the air tank into a brass T connector (from Home Depot). From that T connector, I ran one end to the train horns and the other end around the back of the engine compartment, the same place I ran the power wires. I actually was able to open the clips on the existing wire channel and ran the new wires in there and tucked in the air line. I ran that air line into the cab to the gauge provided in the kit.

bd3a96b1cdb0b9cdd9f17d2b94ecabf4.jpg

54f18ce3124e96f851d7d9ad42203268.jpg

e1ca33119ecc3d32fc87620ad9bb77ca.jpg

0c2eee8818e424b709559ff133aa5b16.jpg

54ed89ea20865d4ea7e9d6460fcdbae0.jpg

Inside the cab now, I connected the gauge(and compressor on/off switch) to the cigarette lighter line under the middle console because it's the easiest accessory line to tap into that I know of. I'm sure there are others but that's where I went. I also wired the momentary switch to on top of the steering column so it was within easy "smack it quick" reach but not going to hit it on accident. It's also wired to the cigarette circuit so when the truck is off, the horn won't work.

cc1101574bdd41ae9b79ba3280d9385d.jpg

Overall, you need some #10x1" self tapping hex head screws, a few good brackets, and some spare wire. I used an impact driver for driving the screws into the frame. The overall project, trial and error for mounting points, trips back and forth to Home Depot.... honestly it probably took me 12 hours but I spent a LOT of time figuring out mounting solutions... here's to hoping that this thread helps you guys get it done faster. Overall, I'm very happy with the horn (haven't used it LEGITIMATELY yet for an idiot on the road, just testing it) and the entire air system. It's nice peace of mind to have the onboard air system. Pick up a tire plug kit from Harbor Freight for 10 bucks and you have your own roadside tire repair service [emoji1]

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Ruiner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
That's deadly!

Love the rear air connector for tools.
Brilliant. I'll be adding that feature when I get that far.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is a good write up. I've been back and forth on possibly adding an air horn on my truck but I'm still up in the air about it. Thank you for a good reference if I ever get around to doing the project.

Adam

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
This is a good write up. I've been back and forth on possibly adding an air horn on my truck but I'm still up in the air about it. Thank you for a good reference if I ever get around to doing the project.

Adam

Thanks! There are several dynamics like the sizes of all the components(air tank, compressor, horns). I'm sure for a smaller horn or tank it would be more versatile... but since I have the active grill shutters on my Ram, I didn't have any room behind the grill like some people did. I'd be happy to help when the time comes that you pull the trigger on the mod... I'm glad I did it and if anything, I have a LITTLE peace of mind that I have compressed air nearby.

Side Note:
I actually got to use the train horn yesterday for someone who cut me off and actually boxed herself in when she cut me off and as soon as I hit the horn, she was weaving her car all over in the lane in front of me trying to get out of my way. She did a bunch of the "I dont know" hand shrug motions when I did it and eventually flipped me off... but she never came near me again on the freeway the whole drive :roflsquared:

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Any issues with installing the self tapping screws into the frame? Do they go in easy like other metals?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Nice little write-up. I think this is my next mod. Driving home yesterday from the airport after being gone at work for a week, I passed multiple idiots texting, talking on the phone, weaving back and forth, basically driving like assholes. I think a nice blast of a train horn might be just the ticket.

I've actually thought about taking it a step further, (but in reality probably won't), and having a vinyl picture of a train installed on the passenger side of the truck. Imagine being inattentive and texting, being blasted by a train horn, startlingly looking up and the first thing you see is the image of a train...

I can dream...

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Any issues with installing the self tapping screws into the frame? Do they go in easy like other metals?

Haven't had any issues, just checked them the other day. Easy to drill in with a cordless impact.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I tried self tappers for a different reason, and the heads snapped off. I'd suggest a little pre drill first
I can't remember if I pre-drilled... I want to say no

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
just ordered a Klein HK9 system. will be revisiting this thread for the install, thanks jgruberman! My only issue as I see is mounting the components without interfering with my AMP power steps.

Lord, please forgive my impatience with idiot drivers.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
just ordered a Klein HK9 system. will be revisiting this thread for the install, thanks jgruberman! My only issue as I see is mounting the components without interfering with my AMP power steps.

Lord, please forgive my impatience with idiot drivers.
I almost installed it where my spare tire went... but I ended up on the side. I still don't have my spare back on [emoji1]

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've also ordered a "delayed on" relay. Plan is to use the OEM horn to trigger the train horn. A tap on the horn will only be the OEM horn. Holding the horn on for more than a half second will engage the train horn. That time is adjustable, so will take some playing with to get it set right.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I've also ordered a "delayed on" relay. Plan is to use the OEM horn to trigger the train horn. A tap on the horn will only be the OEM horn. Holding the horn on for more than a half second will engage the train horn. That time is adjustable, so will take some playing with to get it set right.
Just to help you get some ideas... I actually wired the train horn to my factory horn and wired in an on/off toggle under the dash to the line running to the factory horn. So if I "honk the steering wheel" and the switch is off, I get the factory horn.... if the switch is on, I get both. I'd recommend against your idea from personal preference knowing that the initial shock to most people is hearing the horn (regardless what kind it is). If I want to really surprised someone, I'm gonna give them all u have rather than start small and build up to it. Again, just giving my experience hoping to help you make the best decision that suits your personal preference ☺

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I installed my compressor in an ammo can to give it some protection. I fabbed up some 3" x 9" x .25" steel brackets that clamped to the frame, and I didn't have to drill any holes in my new truck. I did not install a tank (yet) but I'd do the same sort of bracket setup when I do.
The can also served as a great place to mount the regulator and relay.

I mounted the ammo can upside down and removed the lid. It is well protected, but is still ventilated too.

My compressor control is wireless and it works great. No signal issues. I plumbed the intake up to the firewall on the passenger side, up high.

459c496068712b9ecf008aa701039eb1.jpge7c9d5c4135e97717bec2bdd6bc6a21b.jpg08cce35fa41cf14fbbbd37567aa48ff2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Great idea! I might borrow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Great idea! I might borrow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah super easy... just run the + of the horn solenoid to the switch the horn wire. I had to take off the driver splash guards and really reach up there to find the horn wire... but was able to get it just enough to put a wire tap on it

(Assuming you were talking to me lol)

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
nah...lol I was referring to the ammo box. I like your idea, but I think I'm still going to go with the tap for OEM horn and hold down for 1/3-1/2 second and the train horn comes on. I like the idea of not having to fumble with an extra switch.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
nah...lol I was referring to the ammo box. I like your idea, but I think I'm still going to go with the tap for OEM horn and hold down for 1/3-1/2 second and the train horn comes on. I like the idea of not having to fumble with an extra switch.
Well I don't have to fumble either... the only time I'd ever turn it off is if it off is wanted to honk around police. Since the original post, I've never turned it off and had to fumble with the switch yet. Now that I read yours, it's practically identical to my idea except you get the option to turn it off if need be.

I ran the positive to the OEM horn, only instead of direct to the horn... I gave myself an option to turn off