Online Ram locator tool.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrbowtie26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hello all I am new to the forum. I own a 2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi Quad cab 4x4 with a fisher plow currently with 120k on it. I am considering selling it private party and locating a new 2017. Any ideas what dealer is the #1 Ram dealer that has a huge selection ? also is there a better online locator tool to locate the truck I want as the Ram one only checks up to a certain amount of miles. I've tried cargurus and cant seem to find exactly what I want.
Thanks for any help it's appreciated.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check out Dennis Dillon and Dave Smith motors both in Kellogg, ID. Folks from other states have been known to order from them and fly there to sign for and pick up their trucks. They will customize your truck to your specs before you arrive if you want. I believe even aftermarket stuff. They will pick you up at the airport and take you to the dealership. If nothing else, you could get a price quote from them and use it to negotiate a price locally.

OP
OP
M

Mrbowtie26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check out Dennis Dillon and Dave Smith motors both in Kellogg, ID. Folks from other states have been known to order from them and fly there to sign for and pick up their trucks. They will customize your truck to your specs before you arrive if you want. I believe even aftermarket stuff. They will pick you up at the airport and take you to the dealership. If nothing else, you could get a price quote from them and use it to negotiate a price locally.

I've looked at the Dennis Dillon dealership and been in contact with him. He doesn't have anything that fits my needs in a 2017 but said he could order a 2018 for me. Only problem is the package I want (sport appearance package) in 2018 comes with a different front grill that I hate (the one with the Ram lettering in the middle). I will look into Dave Smith motors though. Thanks for the information I do appreciate it !

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Believe it or not look on E Bay.. Alot of dealers sell there and can help give you a list to work off of ! Just a thought ! I would assume that your local dealer can do a search as well! Good luck

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are looking for new, https://www.ramtrucks.com/en/lineup/?app=sni they still provide searches for 2017s

Oh, never mind ... I miss read your initial post. They used to allow a wider search, so with a few different zip codes you could pretty much cover the country.

https://www.kbb.com lets you search any distance. Seems to be 30,000+ new 2017s available :) You can sort by price, so if you had a rough idea what the truck you want is priced at, it may help narrow thing down.

Last edited:

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
OP
OP
M

Mrbowtie26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I bought mine from Kernersville, NC, online. They have great prices, selection, and have their sht together. I don't know what model you're looking for, but as for '17s, they currently have 670 Rams on the lot. Great website with pics and pricing. Highly recommend. Dodge Chrysler Jeep RAM Dealer Kernersville, NC | serving Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Durham, Charlotte, Raleigh NC | New & Used Cars, Service, Parts

The exact truck I'm looking for is a 2017 ram 2500 or 3500 crew cab, 6'4" bed, 4x4, Delmonico red with sport appearance package, 6.4l hemi, 4.10 axle ratio, 220 amp alternator, clearance lamps, center high mount stop lamp with cargo view camera, led bed lights, black tubular side steps, ram box cargo management system, spray in bed liner, leather bucket seats, 8.4" Nav, rear window defroster, keyless entry, remote start, insturment panel guages.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The exact truck I'm looking for is a 2017 ram 2500 or 3500 crew cab, 6'4" bed, 4x4, Delmonico red with sport appearance package, 6.4l hemi, 4.10 axle ratio, 220 amp alternator, clearance lamps, center high mount stop lamp with cargo view camera, led bed lights, black tubular side steps, ram box cargo management system, spray in bed liner, leather bucket seats, 8.4" Nav, rear window defroster, keyless entry, remote start, insturment panel guages.
Can you be more specific? Lol You can still build and order '17s on the Ram website. It's going to be very difficult to find that exact truck already built unless you're willing to be flexible on a few of those things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mrbowtie26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Can you be more specific? Lol You can still build and order '17s on the Ram website. It's going to be very difficult to find that exact truck already built unless you're willing to be flexible on a few of those things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You can still build it on the web site but someone at Dennis Dillon told me they arent accepting any more 17 orders as of a few months ago. I can go without a couple of those things like LED bed lighting, the center brake light and camera, auxilliary guages, but thats about it. I've found almost an exact match with what I want minus the 4.11 gears (which I really want as I'll probably go a bit bigger with the tires at some point soon)

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turns out one can search with KBB on things like color, engine, doors, 4x4. You have to modify the original search to get there.

They say there are three Delmonico Red 3500s in the US, none close to what you want

There are 129 Red 4 door 4x4 V8 2500s of which about 60 are Delmonico Red in the US, doesn't look like any 4.11s , but at least 6 with sport appearance a couple real close to what you want including the RAM box.

Russ Darrow Milwaukee
Napletons Arlington IL
Soloman Brownsville Pa
Criswell Gathersburg MD
Diehl Butler PA
Astory Parkestown WV

The most accurate inventory search is the one the dealer can do. It takes into account those trucks in transit. You also should look up the window sticker on the ramtruck site as dealers admin folks are known to accidentally omit or add features. The description they put in their inventory list is usually manually added.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's been a few years since I bought my Ram but I recently got a new car for my wife and Cargurus.com was very helpful. It seems the dealers put their vehicles on all of the mainstream sites but for whatever reason Cargurus had the most up to date and accurate info.

For Rams, Dennis Dillon has great prices and selection. I use them regularly to shop and see what's available. If/when I'm in the market for a new Ram they are for sure the first place I'd look. Of course, location is everything and I'm in Oregon within a (long) day's drive of Idaho.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The one need you listed...Rambox...is one of the issues. Something like less than 20% of all Ram pickups have the Rambox. Its possible to find what you want...but that will be narrowing it quite a bit on how many 2017's are left and whats available.

With that being said...the Rambox was one of my first needs when I went looking for my Ram. My dealer entered Rambox and a few other options into their computer. The one thing I did was be open to color (which helped alot) They found a silver one 5 hours away down by Chicago. The dealer down there did a trade and my Rebel showed up a few days later.

With your specific needs in a truck you want it may be best to order a 2018. You may not get the deals you want...but then again you'll get the exact truck you desire.

Good luck with your search!

OP
OP
M

Mrbowtie26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The one need you listed...Rambox...is one of the issues. Something like less than 20% of all Ram pickups have the Rambox. Its possible to find what you want...but that will be narrowing it quite a bit on how many 2017's are left and whats available.

With that being said...the Rambox was one of my first needs when I went looking for my Ram. My dealer entered Rambox and a few other options into their computer. The one thing I did was be open to color (which helped alot) They found a silver one 5 hours away down by Chicago. The dealer down there did a trade and my Rebel showed up a few days later.

With your specific needs in a truck you want it may be best to order a 2018. You may not get the deals you want...but then again you'll get the exact truck you desire.

Good luck with your search!

Ive found about two trucks that cover all of my needs except one the 4.10 gearing which I'd really like to have as I may go with tires a few sizes bigger at a later time. I also tow a travel trailer but only a few times a year. I'm aware that the 2500 or 3500 with the 6.4 will still be slower than a 1500 but I know from past experience how much better a vehicle feels with lower gearing. The only issue I have with ordering a 2018 with everything that I want is I'll be stuck with the new designed font grill with the big ram lettering on it which I dont want. I'd like the regular grill like this vehicle I built (2017)
https://www.ramtrucks.com/build#/su...B9,GFA,XBM,XMF,ADV,RA4,Z8Q,DMF,X9,PRV,22H,APA

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Ive found about two trucks that cover all of my needs except one the 4.10 gearing which I'd really like to have as I may go with tires a few sizes bigger at a later time. I also tow a travel trailer but only a few times a year. I'm aware that the 2500 or 3500 with the 6.4 will still be slower than a 1500 but I know from past experience how much better a vehicle feels with lower gearing. The only issue I have with ordering a 2018 with everything that I want is I'll be stuck with the new designed font grill with the big ram lettering on it which I dont want. I'd like the regular grill like this vehicle I built (2017)
https://www.ramtrucks.com/build#/su...B9,GFA,XBM,XMF,ADV,RA4,Z8Q,DMF,X9,PRV,22H,APA

Have you actually driven a 6.4 with bigger tires? Most people who have an opinion on it have never owned or even driven one. I have 35s with the 3.73 rearend and it's got plenty of power. I tow my race trailer quite often with a variety of different vehicles in it. I've towed 12k+ lbs cross-country with it several times and it does great. I think you'd have to move up to 4.30-4.56-ish to notice any real difference.

The biggest thing in my experience with it is that around 5k miles, it literally came alive. There has to be some algorithm in the software that holds it back until it's broken in. It was very noticeable, especially when towing. I changed all my driveline fluids out to Amsoil at around that time as well, so I'm sure that had at least a little to do with it.

This is probably the second largest investment most people make. Get the truck you want. Grilles are cheap to replace in the scheme of things. One big thing for me is the '18s have Android Auto and Apple Carplay. You can't get that in the '17s at all. My wife's new VW Atlas has it and I love it. May not be a big deal to you, but for me it is.

I travel to unfamiliar areas a lot and the factory nav BLOWS. Android Auto uses google maps from your phone and it makes a huge difference in the traveling experience for me. Going down the wrong road with a 28' enclosed trailer in tow is not a good thing and the factory nav has sent me down that road too many times.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was about to say the 8 speed is geared much differently than the old 6 speed, with lower and closer ratios, but the 2017 2500 still has the HD 6 speed right?

I've had more issues with google maps than the factory Nav, although the traffic display may be better. The iPhone maps seems to be hooked up with TomTom, which often provides better routing and more selections for alternative routes.. But Nav is just one tool in the tool box.

Folks do seem to like the carplay/auto capability as the maps are current. Just don't go out of cell service area before all the map sections for your route are downloaded. Been there, done that, kinda annoying driving on a blue screen :)

If the grills can be easily swapped, I'd think about buying a 2018 configured exactly as you want and then swap in the 2017 grill.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mrbowtie26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Have you actually driven a 6.4 with bigger tires? Most people who have an opinion on it have never owned or even driven one. I have 35s with the 3.73 rearend and it's got plenty of power. I tow my race trailer quite often with a variety of different vehicles in it. I've towed 12k+ lbs cross-country with it several times and it does great. I think you'd have to move up to 4.30-4.56-ish to notice any real difference.

The biggest thing in my experience with it is that around 5k miles, it literally came alive. There has to be some algorithm in the software that holds it back until it's broken in. It was very noticeable, especially when towing. I changed all my driveline fluids out to Amsoil at around that time as well, so I'm sure that had at least a little to do with it.

This is probably the second largest investment most people make. Get the truck you want. Grilles are cheap to replace in the scheme of things. One big thing for me is the '18s have Android Auto and Apple Carplay. You can't get that in the '17s at all. My wife's new VW Atlas has it and I love it. May not be a big deal to you, but for me it is.

I travel to unfamiliar areas a lot and the factory nav BLOWS. Android Auto uses google maps from your phone and it makes a huge difference in the traveling experience for me. Going down the wrong road with a 28' enclosed trailer in tow is not a good thing and the factory nav has sent me down that road too many times.

That is a valid point with the Nav I didn't consider the different with the head unit. I will look into it. Thank you for your opinion on the gearing and radio I appreciate it.

OP
OP
M

Mrbowtie26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was about to say the 8 speed is geared much differently than the old 6 speed, with lower and closer ratios, but the 2017 2500 still has the HD 6 speed right?

I've had more issues with google maps than the factory Nav, although the traffic display may be better. The iPhone maps seems to be hooked up with TomTom, which often provides better routing and more selections for alternative routes.. But Nav is just one tool in the tool box.

Folks do seem to like the carplay/auto capability as the maps are current. Just don't go out of cell service area before all the map sections for your route are downloaded. Been there, done that, kinda annoying driving on a blue screen :)

If the grills can be easily swapped, I'd think about buying a 2018 configured exactly as you want and then swap in the 2017 grill.

You may be right about swapping out the grill. I almost thought of telling the dealer I ordered the truck from that I would buy it if they threw in an extra grill even if I had to paint it myself.

6.4LMegaMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I was in the same boat as you...wanted a very specifically optioned truck and could not find what I wanted anywhere online. I went to my local dealer to test drive one as close to what I wanted and if I was happy with it I was going to do an order. We sat down and created the order and the GM did a search in his system and actually found one a few states away. They had it delivered in and I picked it up a few days later.

It seemed they could search a larger inventory than what I could find online myself. You could try that if you haven't already.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

nationalminer84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all I am new to the forum. I own a 2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi Quad cab 4x4 with a fisher plow currently with 120k on it. I am considering selling it private party and locating a new 2017. Any ideas what dealer is the #1 Ram dealer that has a huge selection ? also is there a better online locator tool to locate the truck I want as the Ram one only checks up to a certain amount of miles. I've tried cargurus and cant seem to find exactly what I want.
Thanks for any help it's appreciated.
Visit a dealership. The ram online locator is to try to keep you local. The dealership can search nationwide. Now if they find the exact truck but aren't willing to deal and you can get the Vin (ask them to print the sticker for u) you can search the Vin online and likely find what lot its on.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk