Opinion:Stock, TrueTrac, or Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

planenuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Been a lurker here for a while, but I have a problem I need an opinion on. I was changing the rear diff fluid on my '04 Hemi quad cab, and one of the LSD clutch pack clips was broken and laying in the bottom of the case. I called a couple shops, and they both said the stock rear end is pretty weak for this truck. One shop pushed the Yukon pretty hard, the other no preference. The shop pushing the Yukon said the True Trac was a couple hundred more. The truck has about 82k miles on it, I don't really ever plan on getting another one. It does what I need it to do. I pull a 4000 lb boat with it and take stuff to the dump. No heavy offroading or burnouts. I am leaning toward an aftermarket rear end, so curious what others think about the True Trac vs. the Yukon. I would stay stock, but I treat this thing pretty easy, so the idea that this thing needs rebuilt after 80k miles makes me want to go aftermarket. Thanks for any info.

Dirtyblackhoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know if there is a huge difference between the two, but I have ALWAYS gone with the Tru Trac and LOVED it in my two GM vehicles that had one. If my Ram needed one that's the option I would choose.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I just installed Tru Trac and Motives 4:56. I chose TT for piece of mind. I heard nothing but good things about this LSD, but yes $200 more...

OP
OP
P

planenuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks. That's the way I'm leaning. It looks like the Yukon has the same clips as the stock diff. I don't think I want to deal with those again. Seems like an extra $200 is a small price to pay to not have to have this pulled and rebuilt again.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Go with Trutrac! I have Auburn but only did it because I got it cheap from a member on here. Otherwise I would have done the trutrac.

Last edited:

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8 NOW with Moose Power
I have a TruTrac and love it. I went with it because i did not want deal with it again. And i have not had to.

ej132

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Truetrac is the way to go, rather than being a clutch design its a gear design, stronger and less to wear

OP
OP
P

planenuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I took the advice and went with the TrueTrac. They also replaced the bearings, including the pinion bearing. I guess the clutch pack clip got thrown around in there a bit when it came apart before all the parts settled to the bottom. It is noticeably quieter with the new bearings. Not sure about the operation, but I feel better about getting rid of the clutch pack. Thanks for all the replies. :favorites13: