Opinions needed before i place an order

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTBighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
'14
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bought a '14 Ram 1500 Bighorn 1500 4x4 and it sits like a 2wd which is annoying.
I'm looking at the Rancho Quicklift loaded assembly and the Bilstein 5100 adjustables.

My biggest concern is ride quality, I live with a bad back from my days in the service so I'm shooting for the best ride quality possible when leveling the truck.

Opinions are greatly appreciated.

I don't mind if I have a slight rake still and I don't want a jarring ride.
It would be great if someone has had experience with both setups.

thanks again guys.

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can only speak for the 5100s but I thought my ride improved with them, even with the larger tires I added on my old truck. The fact I have a multitude of adjustments that I can change over the life of the shock (ie level to actual lift) is why I bought them for my new truck. I haven't heard anything negative with the Rancho's either.

OP
OP
VTBighorn

VTBighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
'14
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm leaning towards the Brillstein's because I can have them installed for less than the Ranchos would cost plus get an alignment done. but I hope I don't end up shooting myself in the foot.

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I am sure you have seen where some guys have experienced 4wd vibrations with the 2.8 setting. The 2.1 setting is safer but there have been a small amount of people who have experienced vibrations as well. Not saying this to scare you off, just making you aware. Mine were set at 2.1 and I had no vibrations in 4wd.

OP
OP
VTBighorn

VTBighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
'14
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've read that too I'd probably set it to 2.1 if I do the Bilstein's
just got quoted $125 for the install on the Bils, (I don't have a spring compressor) I'm stuck bringing it to a shop.
the Rancho's I could do myself in the garage but they're not height adjustable.

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does that price include the alignment? If so that is a great price.

OP
OP
VTBighorn

VTBighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
'14
Engine
5.7 Hemi
no alignment is 70

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
I can speak for the Ranchos. I have them on my truck and they ride amazing. The fact that there are 9 adjustable dampening settings is what sold me and it made the truck perfectly level.

OP
OP
VTBighorn

VTBighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
'14
Engine
5.7 Hemi
CLOUDL1GHT do you have any pictures?

OilCityOperator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I had to do it again id have gone with ranchos tbh. My bilstiens set at 2.1 ride super stiff, definantly more jarring, i dont know how most guys say they improve ride quality, Dampening adjustment would be nice.

OP
OP
VTBighorn

VTBighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
'14
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I had to do it again id have gone with ranchos tbh. My bilstiens set at 2.1 ride super stiff, definantly more jarring, i dont know how most guys say they improve ride quality, Dampening adjustment would be nice.

They say the ride suffers because of the tire choice but every tire I've seen is E rated for the sizes people are going for.
Which makes me wonder about the blame being thrown on the tires.
Hence why I started this thread. I don't need my to double back to pick my spine up because I hit a washboard.

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I installed bils by myself, set them at 2.1 ride is as good if not a little better than stock. I rented a spring compressor from the parts store, it tool me about an hour and a half to do the driver side because I had to figure out what I was doing. It only took 45 mins on the passenger side wheel off wheel on. I did the install after only having a thousand miles on the truck. My front end has since settled a little (natural plus grill guard). I will be stepping them up to 2.8 when I put my lift on to level it back out.

OP
OP
VTBighorn

VTBighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
'14
Engine
5.7 Hemi
even with the crappy cell pictures it looks good.

OP
OP
VTBighorn

VTBighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
'14
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ride quality, price, ease of install, adjustable dampening.... they are great

still have to do an alignment though on top of the higher price BUT if I can adjust the actual quality of the ride it may be worth it.