Opinions on 19 Speaker Harman Kardon sound system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisb198

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
I have the same issue with my 2014 Durango Alpine system. The cross over is all screwed up but I've found that if when I'm on a particular input, if I go in and adjust the midrange, then the subwoofer kicks in. I have it set at like -4 normally because of the crossover issue. Known problem on that system.

Totally agree. I have mine dialed in now except for the bass. Ended up going -2 on the eq bacause it is really bad. It sounds like they have the XO on the sub set wrong.
Muddy and distorted. Hopefully they can find a fix for this or if I can find a hidden menu I can adjust myself would be great.

When I test drove the platinum Titan I was blown away at the Rockford Fosgate stereo. Simply amazing. Again I come from a SQ competition background. Almost bought the Titan for the sound it was that impressive. It had a DSP in it. Even 2weeka later I’m still in awe over that stereo system. Amazing. Lol. I just couldn’t get over my ass hurting from the seat on a 10minute test drive.

Last edited:

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Another reason I ordered my truck. I wanted to ensure I got the Alpine system after listening to both. The Alpine is not as sound accurate, but it just seems to jam better, and I will take that when I have the windows rolled down and the sunroof open

Bcovish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just listened to a HK stock system in a buddies new Subaru. Holy cow. Why in the hell could they have not put the same amount of effort and RD into the ram.
It was amazing. He currently also runs the IASCA circuit and even he is impressed. No so much with the ram. He shook his head and got out of the ram. For a second I thought he was going to slap me. Lol

Sorry not trying to beat a dead horse but it was a night and day difference.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will say this, I do not like the HK system. My previous Alpine (with a Pioneer sub) sounded many times better than this. The bass is overwhelming. I'm at -3. I do listen to bass centric music (Lacs, Upchurch, etc) but my god its over bearing. Not clean, not tight, not clear in the slightest.

Levi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I too am disappointed in the HK system. Seems that a 900 watt system ,as it claims, would be MUCH louder than what it is. I can only assume that FCA has put some sort of limiter on the system to prevent the public from blowing out our eardrums with a factory installed unit to protect us from ourselves . If someone has found a way to unlock the full potential of this pricey upgrade I and apparently many others would be very interested.

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I just listened to a HK stock system in a buddies new Subaru. Holy cow. Why in the hell could they have not put the same amount of effort and RD into the ram.
It was amazing. He currently also runs the IASCA circuit and even he is impressed. No so much with the ram. He shook his head and got out of the ram. For a second I thought he was going to slap me. Lol

Sorry not trying to beat a dead horse but it was a night and day difference.
We have a 2018 outback touring and its HK system is pretty decent. If Ram would of had something like this from HK I would of went that direction. The wifes car plays loud and clean. My alpine plays louder but it isnt as clean, but I am fine getting the Led out lol!

Tim Pullyblank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like everyone else, I'm very disappointed in the HK Stereo. The bass seems like it's only coming from the speakers and very rarely the sub. Only certain notes you can hear from it and it misses a ton where it should be thumping. (I have at 2019 Limited) I've always loved an awesome stereo and my previous 2014 Ram Alpine system with factory sub rocked SO MUCH BETTER! Hopefully, a software update is on the way taking off the limiter and increasing the gains and frequency on the sub. Any chance we can manually adjust the gains on the amps like in the old days? Probably not, but it's the only thing that makes me regret upgrading to a 2019. Help us, help you Ram! Software fix please and actually use the 900 watts your claiming this stereo has!

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd love to be able to send feedback on things like this. Yes, a software update is very much needed. Chrysler head the customer care line but nothing that I know of to handle software complaint

OP
OP
Ryelinek

Ryelinek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I dunno. I made this post before I had my 2019 Limited and have had the truck for about two weeks now.

I’m very pleased with the HK system. It’s plenty loud and the clarity is awesome. I’m not sure what everyone wants but I’m not trying to wake the neighbors or lose my hearing from the truck. The overall sound quality I think is superb.

My truck is in the detail shop getting a Ceramic Coat and some other work done so I’m driving my wife’s Cadillac SRX a little. I always thought the Bose system in it was great. After driving my truck for two weeks and getting back into this thing I can say the HK system is A LOT better and the clarity is not even close.

I just think those that are disappointed want their truck to sound like some kid driving down the road in his crap civic with 2 12” subs in the back.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think you're confused, at least with some of our posts here as to me the bass is over whelming and muddy, not clear or clean. I have my bass set to -5. The doors and sub still pound serious bass. Too much in fact. My music tends to be bass heavy anyways (up church) but my Alpine sounded better to me

I dunno. I made this post before I had my 2019 Limited and have had the truck for about two weeks now.

I’m very pleased with the HK system. It’s plenty loud and the clarity is awesome. I’m not sure what everyone wants but I’m not trying to wake the neighbors or lose my hearing from the truck. The overall sound quality I think is superb.

My truck is in the detail shop getting a Ceramic Coat and some other work done so I’m driving my wife’s Cadillac SRX a little. I always thought the Bose system in it was great. After driving my truck for two weeks and getting back into this thing I can say the HK system is A LOT better and the clarity is not even close.

I just think those that are disappointed want their truck to sound like some kid driving down the road in his crap civic with 2 12” subs in the back.

OP
OP
Ryelinek

Ryelinek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Think you're confused, at least with some of our posts here as to me the bass is over whelming and muddy, not clear or clean. I have my bass set to -5. The doors and sub still pound serious bass. Too much in fact. My music tends to be bass heavy anyways (up church) but my Alpine sounded better to me

Yea I am not sure. To each their own I guess. I have my BASS at -2 and that’s only because I sometimes have a newborn in the back and those two rear speakers on the roof in the back put out some serious sound. Otherwise I though 0 was perfectly fine.

Sound is hard to judge since everyone has a different opinion of what they want.

Dominacb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thank you for this post! I've got my limited with the HK system coming and was getting nervous by all the other posts...... I hope ur right!

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If your out buying trucks, I would sit in one with the Alpine and the HK system. They are significantly different. I would say the 2019 Alpine is an evolution of the 4th gen truck Alpine system. The HK is something all together different

OP
OP
Ryelinek

Ryelinek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thank you for this post! I've got my limited with the HK system coming and was getting nervous by all the other posts...... I hope ur right!

Yea I wouldn’t worry about it. I think it’s an awesome system and very happy with it.

Enjoy your new truck when you get it. I LOVE my Limited. It’s the nicest vehicle I’ve ever driven. So smooth on the road and the interior is just out of this world. I just want to find excuses to go for a drive hah.

Dominacb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I wouldn’t worry about it. I think it’s an awesome system and very happy with it.

Enjoy your new truck when you get it. I LOVE my Limited. It’s the nicest vehicle I’ve ever driven. So smooth on the road and the interior is just out of this world. I just want to find excuses to go for a drive hah.

Ya they are nice trucks. I'm currently in a 16' limited and enjoy every second of it!

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I actually had to work at getting my limited without tow mirrors and no HK system in it, but still have the brake controller.

Frank Bailey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I have a 2019 Limited with the HK system and it sounds great! I could be louder. It’s actually louder when paired with your phone and you play music from there.

OP
OP
Ryelinek

Ryelinek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have a 2019 Limited with the HK system and it sounds great! I could be louder. It’s actually louder when paired with your phone and you play music from there.

Agreed but a lot of the has to do with the garage sound quality SirusXM puts out. Anything being played on your phone or a CD will sound better than Satellite Radio.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just playing devils advocate.....what’s the purpose of having 19 speakers in such a small space. You can accomplish far better sound with half that amount. Maybe it’s to discourage us audiophiles from upgrading the system.