Outdoorsman Payload Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Outdoorsman 2500
Engine
Need something cleared up.

I have a 2011 2500 Outdoorsman- 5.7 HEMI, 4.10 gears, crew cab, 4x4, 6 1/2ft bed.

When researching payload on the ram trucks website I see that all of the models have different payloads due to weight differences. However, they do not list the outdoorsman as a model on there.

I am just wondering what model I should be looking at for my payload capacity.

Thanks

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For the most accurate info go weigh your truck fully fueled. Then look at the sticker in the door for gvwr. Subtract the weight from your trip to the scales + your weight and there's your legal max.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rcb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Outdoorsman 2500
Engine
Thanks, that makes sense.

I am a bit more concerned with not maxing out my truck over the legal weight.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
init6 has the best answer.

In the meantime, I find my 2014 Outdoorsman is closest to an SLT or BigHorn. The Laramies weight a bit more with some more options and the Tradesmen are less.

Weighing the truck really is best though since there is just always extra weight that creeps in - things like your tool box, floor mats, bedliner. My truck rolled off the assembly line just under 7000# and I've never got it to weight under about 7300# - Of course, I'm about 230#. But I weighed it with what I thought was absolutely nothing else in it and there is a missing 100-200#.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
You can check your door sticker also it should stated max cargo not to exceed ****#s. I believe it should be where the tire inflation is.

OP
OP
R

rcb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Outdoorsman 2500
Engine
Thanks for the help.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
For what it is worth...

My 2015 Sport has a payload that is 8lbs more than my 2017 Larry. My 2017 Larry weighs 8lbs more than my 2015 Sport.

Have you tried going to RamTrucks and

Towing&Capability...
Towing Guide (on the left)
LOOK UP MY VEHICLE (middle-ish right)
Put in your VIN

Or just call them, they can tell you with the VIN.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
But as my grandfather always said...

Torque spec... tighten it til it cracks and back off a 1/4 turn

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Need something cleared up.

I have a 2011 2500 Outdoorsman- 5.7 HEMI, 4.10 gears, crew cab, 4x4, 6 1/2ft bed.

When researching payload on the ram trucks website I see that all of the models have different payloads due to weight differences. However, they do not list the outdoorsman as a model on there.

I am just wondering what model I should be looking at for my payload capacity.

Thanks

The Outdoorsman package is built onto the SLT trim.
With that said, you get heavier duty suspension with the Outdoorsman option. So the payload for the SLT may not match up.

In any case, this information should be on the factory sticker located either on the driver's side door, or inside your glove box.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
The Outdoorsman package is built onto the SLT trim.
With that said, you get heavier duty suspension with the Outdoorsman option. So the payload for the SLT may not match up.

In any case, this information should be on the factory sticker located either on the driver's side door, or inside your glove box.

I don't think that is true. I have an 2016 Outdoorsman & it is the same suspension as all of the other 2500 with exception to the Power Wagon.
As mtofell mentioned the Big Horn Package is very close to the Outdoorsman. Probably more so than the SLT

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All vehicles should have a payload sticker...........but as stated above, get your truck on a scale and you'll have no doubt as to what capacity you have. You'll probably be surprised by the numbers. My 1500 scales in @ 6300lbs...........

And I've done the math, still cannot account for about 300lbs I'm toting around on the truck somewhere!

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
????? that's not right I scaled my Laramie quad cab with me the wife our dog and a curt q16 hitch with slider and a full tank of fuel it weighed 6240 ibs oh and the wife me and the dog weigh 416 lbs

Last edited:

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I thought Big Horn was the trim level above SLT? I wouldn't make a good salesman! :crazy:

The Big Horn package is a gimmick trim level just like the Chevy All-Star package. Take an SLT, throw in just the right options (perfect options imo) and sell it as its own truck. If you want fluff options like leather, auto climate control, fake wood interior trims, etc, you have to move up from a plain SLT into way more expensive trim levels.

But if you buy the truck to use it as a truck the Big Horn options make it just comfortable enough to enjoy while it's doing it's job.

Last edited:

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't think that is true. I have an 2016 Outdoorsman & it is the same suspension as all of the other 2500 with exception to the Power Wagon.
As mtofell mentioned the Big Horn Package is very close to the Outdoorsman. Probably more so than the SLT

It might be different on the 2500.
The 1500 Outdoorsman had heavy duty suspension added as part of the package.
I remember talking to the salesman about it and seeing it on the build sheet.

According to the info my dealer has, the Outdoorsman package is built on the SLT trim. If I'm not mistaken, the VIN lists as "SLT/Outdoorsman". I'll double check next time I'm in for service though.
The fact that the SLT and Outdoorsman were both taken out of the lineup at the same time (US market only) supports that idea.

Last edited:

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Be careful using the Ram website for payload info. You can plug in your VIN there and it will give you payload.

According to Ram it is 3300 lbs, but my door sticker says 3180. I think the payloads from the website are for your trim level with no additional options.

Edit:

Go here and click on Optional Equipment Weights under Technical Information:

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/bodybuildersguide/2016/ramHD/

It tells you what every trim level weighs including the weights of every little option.

Below is where you can find info for your 2011 HD:

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/year.pdf

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2500s are all the same with respect to suspension. My Outdoorsman is very similar to SLT which is very similar to Big Horn. When shopping for parts I often just have to say SLT to get what I need.

From shopping new trucks the main things it seems the Big Horn has that the SLT doesn't are heated seats/steering wheel. At least that's the main thing I'd be interested in that most SLTs don't have. It's actually funny that the Big Horn doesn't seem to be much more than an emblem that says "Big Horn". At least the Outdoorsman has some body colored grill and tow hooks so you tell by looking at it.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All vehicles should have a payload sticker...........but as stated above, get your truck on a scale and you'll have no doubt as to what capacity you have. You'll probably be surprised by the numbers. My 1500 scales in @ 6300lbs...........

And I've done the math, still cannot account for about 300lbs I'm toting around on the truck somewhere!

How on earth did you manage to do that? I thought my 1500 was heavy, 6300# is just fat, obese even. Do you have lift / tires / toolbox, etc ?