Outside Door Handle Swap DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well today i undertook the task of swapping all four chrome/body color handles on my quadcab for all body colored ones. Some say its a PIA but in my personal experience its not that bad if you have hands and arms of an 8 year old girl. The worst door was by far the drivers, one because i did it first and second it has more rods to disconnect/connect. Ok here we go:
before:
654c8e3a.jpg
Open your door(window up) and the first thing i did was remove the screw behind the inside handle. It has a little cover on it that will pop up with a pocket screwdriver to reveal a phillips head screw.
34c3fe87.jpg
f06868df.jpg

Remove that screw than the cover behind the handle just pops out of place
8964cfd5.jpg

Next i removed the cover on the upper corner(nearest the mirror) just pop it out with a flathead.
98745d90.jpg

Then there are these little body panel pins/screws that use a T20 and then pop out the backing of them.
02743eb4.jpg
a11a01a3.jpg

You are now ready to remove the door panel, lift up gently and it will come off, its alot easier than other cars panels ive removed since there are no pins to pop out. Dont forget to unplug your switches! When its off it will look like this.
87310509.jpg

Around this black cover there are several 10mm bolts, that i removed, but you dont have to it just made it easier for me to reach things rather than going through the little window in the panel. The bottom will pop out giving you enough room to get your whole arm in there. Here is said window.
87310509doodle.jpg

Now comes the fun part of drilling. Some say you dont have to drill, but my arms and hands arent that small so I used a 1/2 drill bit and I have documented where i put the hole in on the drivers side, same place on the passengers.
Front Drivers
a2565bc7.jpg
rear drivers
3e52ae28.jpg
Now this hole will allow you to get to two bolts directly behind it. I used a extension and a 8mm swivel socket to get them. But the swivel is not necessary. View into the dark whole (giggity):********:
52a97247.jpg

Now there is a third 8mm bolt on the forward part of the handle, but i could not get a pic of it so here is the layout of the holes on the handle off the truck.
61c6a6f3.jpg

Since this is the drivers door, it has two rods attached to it. I could not get a pic of these but they are fairly straight forward. Just pop off the retainer and pop the rod out of its hole. :********:

And what it will look like with no handle. I cleaned this before i put the new handle on.
e25982db.jpg

Now i dont know the level of knowledge of everyone on here so i added this little tip so people dont keep dropping their bolts. Put a piece of electrical tape on the end of your socket and push the bolt into it. It will hold it in place so you dont drop them in the damn door, which admittedly i did more than a couple times.
2991266e.jpg

Also another little tidbit for those of you who are gonna be doing this. My handles, did not come threaded so for an hour i was balls deep in the door cursing trying to figure out why the hell the bolts werent going in right. So i took the handle out and saw that the plastic had no threads in it! So my advice is to put in all three bolts BEFORE you put the handle on the door and loose your mind.
8d4a7f30.jpg
Install is just the opposite of removal, except i put the bolts in before i attached the rods since its easier to have the handle in place while your shoulder deep behind the door trying to pop that damn rod in.

The rear door(quad cab) are exactly the same except for one little step.
You have to remove this piece of trim, that just pops off that is on the rear of the door.
4b8cac28.jpg

All other doors besides the drivers have only one rod to attach/detach

Have Fun! This is what it will look like:
a61872fc.jpg

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
nice write up!

dodger2107

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
awesome write up,i think i can do it thanks to this

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I honestly wanted to do mine but I took a good look at my truck as my mom drive away with it today and I thought it would look funny losing that little bit of chrome on my shiny *****;)

But none the less, excellent write up!!!!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oooo some day I'll get the factory color match handles...

someday...

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
looks good man, thanks for the write up and pics!!!!!!

countryboy92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
i like the write up and have been wanting to do that on mine. Thanks for the pictures.

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Nice write-up. Looks great! I just went the easy way out and made that part of the deal when I bought my truck. Now the dealer has to do that for me, lol

Silverbullet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for posting this. I just installed a set i bought from allmoparparts.com ($48ea) and your post definitely cut down on the time. Still took about an hour 15 though.

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great write up. Hadn't seen this until now

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Pic18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it possible to buy prepainted smooth door handles? Like he ones on the Ram sport?

300MAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it possible to buy prepainted smooth door handles? Like he ones on the Ram sport?

Yes, you can get them already color matched. It will cost you about $150-200 from sites on line based on color.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy-S3 using Tapatalk 2

Pic18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Big THANK YOU to Disturbed Gator for this thread. I didn't drill the holes because I didn't want to, but damn my 8th grade girl arms are roughed up from going through the small access panel.

I must requote this from Disturbed Gator:

Also another little tidbit for those of you who are gonna be doing this. My handles, did not come threaded so for an hour i was balls deep in the door cursing trying to figure out why the hell the bolts werent going in right. So i took the handle out and saw that the plastic had no threads in it! So my advice is to put in all three bolts BEFORE you put the handle on the door and loose your mind.

Since I just looked at the pictures, I missed it. Real words of wisdom right there! Save yourself some aggravation, and don't miss that part! I got the drivers side doors done today. I'll tackle the passenger later this week. I'm glad daylight savings kicked in!

Last edited:

300MAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
but damn my 8th grade girl arms are roughed up from going through the smaoo access panel.

Too funny

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy-S3 using Tapatalk 2

that white kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I know this was from a long time ago but does anyone know were to order handles from?

mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Big THANK YOU to Disturbed Gator for this thread. I didn't drill the holes because I didn't want to, but damn my 8th grade girl arms are roughed up from going through the small access panel.

Maybe I'll see if the kids(8 and 5) arms can do it I'm gonna give it a try today.