Overdrive issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackbullet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im having a pretty big issue with my 95 1500 5.9. I just got it a few months ago for $450.00 but the truck had no interior and you had to open the hood and stick a wire in where the starter relay was to start it but dispite having 190k on the odometer it runs like brand new. BUT, after i got it home after the test drive i realized that when the tranny shifts into overdrive, the entire truck starts shaking like hell like it wants to kill you. But im wondering if it is a big deal because as long as i remember to turn overdrive off, the truck shifts perfectly fine and operates like it should. Ive tried looking all over this forum and many others and ive gotten answers from a bad driveshaft to unbalanced tires (ive changed them already and the problem is still there) to bad motor mounts so im still left scratching my head as to what the issue is. Also i put two bottles of that Lucas oil transmission fix stuff in there and that seemed to help a bit with the shaking but its just as bad now

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Lucas doesn't do anything but clog things and hide problems for a few weeks.

Fluid and filter change to start. But if its doing that in overdrive only, i'd suspect something with the overdrive clutch. Without investigating, if it drives fine with O/D off, run it like that for now. I'm thinking its time for a rebuild or replacement at 190K with an original trans. No harm will come from running it with O/D off.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yeah sounds like your overdrive unit is grenaded. Run od off for awhile until you can get the trans rebuilt or replaced or at the very least the overdrive unit. Fluid and filter as above, NOTHING but atf+4 in these

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My truck used to shake like an SOB whenever it shifted into overdrive. It also suffered from multiple cylinder misfires that got to the point where the CEL would start flashing whenever I went heavy on the throttle.

Ultimately, both problems were resolved when my intake plenum was fixed.

If by chance the transmission turns out to be fine, dump the fluid ASAP. Lucas "fixes" are what you dump into the engine/transmission when you're trying to squeeze every last mile from a dying system that you have no intention of fixing. In a healthy system, all they'll do is gum things up.