Ozone Treatment for Odor - Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I took deliver of my preowned 1500 a few months ago. I think the dealer used a masking smell for a previous smoker.

Still smells, not awful, but annoying.

Thinking about having a local detailer run an ozone treatment. Worth it, any risks?

Thanks .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Did it... works great... buy the machine for 100 or so on amazon... just dont overdo it as it may damage rubber...

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did it... works great... buy the machine for 100 or so on amazon... just dont overdo it as it may damage rubber...

Any risk to electronics of vehicle? I’m not familiar with the process.

This is a trusted shop, so I trust them more than I trust myself.

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any risk to electronics of vehicle? I’m not familiar with the process.

This is a trusted shop, so I trust them more than I trust myself.

My dad actually does ozone car treatments for a few dealerships around here. They just set up the ozone generator in the car, and leave the car running with the A/C on full blast for 30 minutes, let it sit for a few, then another 30 minutes and it smells like a brand new car

Edit: there is no risk for electronics as all it does is "filter the air" in a way
Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My dad actually does ozone car treatments for a few dealerships around here. They just set up the ozone generator in the car, and leave the car running with the A/C on full blast for 30 minutes, let it sit for a few, then another 30 minutes and it smells like a brand new car

Hmmmm...they told me they run the heater for an extended period of time, following the treatment.

Any risks to vehicle you know of?

Thanks!

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They sell an ozium spray at auto zone, looks like an 80s binaca breath spray, sprayed it in my chevy cruze and ran the recirc for 10 minutes, no smell. Side note works great in the bathroom, way better than febreeze

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
They sell an ozium spray at auto zone, looks like an 80s binaca breath spray, sprayed it in my chevy cruze and ran the recirc for 10 minutes, no smell. Side note works great in the bathroom, way better than febreeze

Binaca, now that brings back memories.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Clean carpet and upholstery thoroughly. Do a Maguire bomb. New car scent preferably since it is not overwhelming and has a smell similar to that of cleaned air from an ozonizer. Then buy an ozonizer and put it in your truck for a bit as suggested instead of spending the cash to have someone else do it one time.

Works awesome and can use the ozonizer in your house and for future use in the truck. I got a few of these ozonizers and they work great.

IMG_20180218_194244.jpg

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
there is no risk for electronics as all it does is "filter the air" in a way

Thats totally inaccurate... ozone is not a filter... and if used long enough it will oxidize metals and make plastics brittle... its an oxidant... a very strong one...
It can damage wiring insulation if overused...

But the process you described is accurate...

Be careful not to inhale ozone... it is harmful to your lungs...

I placed the generator on top of the center console... turned on vehicle with fan full blast... close door and plug in the extension cord...

I did 3x 30 min runs.. this was to remove cigarette smoke... after each run, while holding breath, turn off vehicle and leave doors or windows open... ozone dissipates in 3 hrs or so. I kept repeating cycle until odor is gone...

Ozone breaks down the source of the odor... so it goes away permanently... unless theres a recurring source like mold... but ozone can kill mold too
Mammoth Commerical Ozone Generator 5000mg Industrial Heavy Duty O3 Air Purifier Deodorizer Sterilizer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WLNVN4V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_h1IIAb8EDXED6

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do not put a real ozonizer in your car while you're in it... that is harmful...

That said anything less than a real machine is just a deodorizer

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats totally inaccurate... ozone is not a filter... and if used long enough it will oxidize metals and make plastics brittle... its an oxidant... a very strong one...
It can damage wiring insulation if overused...

But the process you described is accurate...

Be careful not to inhale ozone... it is harmful to your lungs...

I placed the generator on top of the center console... turned on vehicle with fan full blast... close door and plug in the extension cord...

I did 3x 30 min runs.. this was to remove cigarette smoke... after each run, while holding breath, turn off vehicle and leave doors or windows open... ozone dissipates in 3 hrs or so. I kept repeating cycle until odor is gone...

Ozone breaks down the source of the odor... so it goes away permanently... unless theres a recurring source like mold... but ozone can kill mold too
Mammoth Commerical Ozone Generator 5000mg Industrial Heavy Duty O3 Air Purifier Deodorizer Sterilizer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WLNVN4V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_h1IIAb8EDXED6
That's why I put it in quotations and said my dad does it, i know how the process works but can't describe it in words. But yes definitely DON'T breathe it, and use It responsibly if you do get one of your own. Especially with leather seats.

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's why I put it in quotations and said my dad does it, i know how the process works but can't describe it in words. But yes definitely DON'T breathe it, and use It responsibly if you do get one of your own. Especially with leather seats.

Sorry didnt mean to offend... just important to have accurate info since it can be dangerous...

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry didnt mean to offend... just important to have accurate info since it can be dangerous...
None taken as I can see taking advice from a 17y/o can be a little sketchy haha.

But to OP, either get it done at a shop that has experience, or buy one and do plenty of research before attempting to do it yourself

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
None taken as I can see taking advice from a 17y/o can be a little sketchy haha.

But to OP, either get it done at a shop that has experience, or buy one and do plenty of research before attempting to do it yourself

Having a professional detailer do it. $80. They recommended I leave the vehicle with them for a full day to make sure it is done right.

Trying to be careful with the vehicle, as much as possible.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mcguires makes a deoderizer that looks and works like a bug balm. I've had several customers that swear by it. I've never used it myself but I know we sell alot of it. My wife is sensitive to smells so anything I use I test smell first to make sure it's really light.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

subkron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Works pretty good, the truck we had bought had air fresheners in it (i.e.: chemicals) so I got the Enerzen 4500mg generator from Amazon for $70. Probably ran about 5 treatments and it really knocked it down. You still should thoroughly clean surfaces and rugs as part of the process.