P207F, my saga.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Coming back from renunion I got a P20EE code just before home. Cleared it at the house and topped off the DEF tank and headed for Vacation in the Rockies with the camper.

50 miles in, I get a check engine and service DEF system message 25 miles later a 200 mile countdown. We pull in to the next down and read the code, P207F. I've had one before and it cleared on its own, dealer said sometimes adding DEF will stir contents and give bad reading for a little bit. So we forged on.

60 miles later it hadn't cleared so I pulled off cleared the code with my reader and pulled the negative battery terminals for 5-10min with over miles to go on the counter. Started up and everything was gone.

50 miles later, CEL and earning, another 25 and I had another 200 mile countdown. I was now undaunted because of my past experience and forged on to the campground where I planned to see about draining the DEF. Well, it wasn't much of a campground and was full of prickly weeds so I decided we only had a little ways to the next one and it was a NFS camp so it would be well maintained.

It was much further than I expected. We arrived I had 70 miles left on the countdown and the nearest dealer was 76 miles. So I tried clearing the code and disconnecting the batteries again, sure of myself...

It didn't work. Tried leaving battery disconnected all night, it didn't work. No Cell reception for 60+ miles in any direction and the only pay phone is in a bar that opens at noon. I get ahold of the diesel shop back home and they don't think dropping DEF will help. Call dealership in Cody WY and they might be able to squeeze me in Friday, but most likely not until next week. Crap,crap,crap!

I went back to camp and started crawling around under the truck and found the DEF tank and disconnected the fill tube. Pulled the hood insulation and used the hood to Fender washer fluid tube to syphon the DEF out of the tank and added new DEF. we headed for Cody and 30 miles from camp the truck dinged and all messages and CEL went away!

So relieved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Glad to hear that it cleared up. One bad thing about DEF is that it can break down and crystallize if left for long periods especially if it is at the end of its shelf life. Do you fill up using the jugs or at a pump?

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good for you man! That takes perseverance- Most would of gave up, I would suggest flushing the ****
Outta that thing when u get home-

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
btw, the Cummins recommended shelf life on my Quickserve is:

Temp - shelf life
°50F - 36 months
°77F - 18 months
°86F - 12 months
°95F - 6 months

Last edited:

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
btw, the Cummins recommended shelf life on my Quickserve is:

Temp - shelf life
°50F - 36 months
°77F - 18 months
°86F - 12 months
°95F - 6 months

Well that sux if you live in S. TX and keep it in the garage! Unless you guys go through DEF really quick? But, how long did it sit in a warehouse or on the shelf before someone bought it?? And I hear many 6.7 guys keep a gallon or 5 gal jug in the back of the truck. Wonder if that shortens the life being out in the sun or even under a tonneau it gets hot as hell.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Well that sux if you live in S. TX and keep it in the garage! Unless you guys go through DEF really quick? But, how long did it sit in a warehouse or on the shelf before someone bought it?? And I hear many 6.7 guys keep a gallon or 5 gal jug in the back of the truck. Wonder if that shortens the life being out in the sun or even under a tonneau it gets hot as hell.

That is why I always got it at the pumps at the truck stops instead of the jugs. It was stored at cooler temps underground and was fresh since the big trucks went through it so quickly. Not only that, but it was also half the price than the jugs. I had to refill about every 4-6 months so I wasn't too worried during the summer.

Of course, now I don't deal with it since my SCR is laying under a bench in my shop. :naughty:

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
FYI, that 200 mile until limp mode isn't true. We got hit with that on a prior trip back from the lake. Nothing happened. Drove home fine, stopped truck, disconnected trailer, unloaded, started up again and drove to dealer without a problem.

I got those messages, it ended up being a faulty sensor or something that was replaced under warranty. Its annoying to see, but I don't think it really has much more effect than annoyance...

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
DEF fluid is why I opted for a gasser this time, all of them have ruined diesels with all this crap

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI, that 200 mile until limp mode isn't true. We got hit with that on a prior trip back from the lake. Nothing happened. Drove home fine, stopped truck, disconnected trailer, unloaded, started up again and drove to dealer without a problem.

I got those messages, it ended up being a faulty sensor or something that was replaced under warranty. Its annoying to see, but I don't think it really has much more effect than annoyance...

That Xxxx amount of miles until limp mode is a real thing- It does happen- What's worse is when it won't restart untill cleared- I'm not saying that it happens all the time- Cause clearly in your case it didn't - But it does happen-

OP
OP
drittal

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to hear that it cleared up. One bad thing about DEF is that it can break down and crystallize if left for long periods especially if it is at the end of its shelf life. Do you fill up using the jugs or at a pump?

Normally jugs, but last weekend we finally got def at the pumps in my home town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whsk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
i went with gas this time around-no more expensive filters (cheap as i could find was 105.00 for the pair)-no more DEF that goes to **** sitting around-slow warmup in winter and more-the gasser is better for me-to each his own

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
i went with gas this time around-no more expensive filters (cheap as i could find was 105.00 for the pair)-no more DEF that goes to **** sitting around-slow warmup in winter and more-the gasser is better for me-to each his own

I think we understood you the first time you posted that same comment earlier this week in this thread.... Heat Effect on Diesel Exhaust Fluid

No need to be a Danno and go around saying the same thing over and over again.

Ssnerdle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Were you able to get a fix from the dealer> I have similar problem:

2016 2500 4x4 Crew, 65000 miles
DEF problems and P207F
Background. 4 weeks ago
Drive from sea level get to 5500' got def messages when hit 5500' (Temp was high 90s outside)
(incorrect DEF, Service Def and then10 miles after the message Check Engine light with P207f and cant clear it). Back down to lower elevation the messages went away but check engine stays on.
Took to dealer and the reloaded PCM and ECM SW.($550.00) They did a lot of troubleshooting and decided this was the fix. they also claimed they can mimic Altitude in testing and tested it. I then Took it back up to same place (5500') and it had no problem Fixed! yeh! (Temp was high 70s)

UPDATE:
4 weeks later took another trip to 5500' and same problems came back. with the addition of 5mph in 149 miles message. But all 3 messages disappeared after getting back to sea level.(Check Engine stays on and I cant clear it) Temp was Mid 90s
Back to dealer tomorrow. I suspect some pricey DEF system repairs to follow!! Service Manager says we will have conf call with Chrysler Techs as well to discuss since this is 2nd time

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do any of the Cummins guys delete anymore?

Or is that total taboo?