Peattie's Ram Runner Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peattie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I can start this now as I have a serious buyer for my BMW. That money will be used towards suspension. This will be a slow build as I am a full time student.

Suspension:
Pure performance long travel kit. The triple threat kit is a bit cheaper which will save me some money to put towards the install. But the chase series kit comes with everything I will ever need. So I havent decided between the two.

Triple threat
3.0" TRIPLE THREAT LONG TRAVEL SYSTEM

Chase series
3.0" CHASE SERIES LONG TRAVEL SYSTEM

Wheels and Tires:
I'm probably going to get the xd 125's in a 17x9 0 offset. I would like a true bead lock wheel but its not in the budget.
Tires will be a 35/12.50-r17 mt. Ive been looking at the fierce mt, they have good reviews and pretty cheap.

Performance:
Diablo Trinity from Bully's
flowmaster 40 series with side exit
s&b intake (want something enclosed for off roading)

Cosmetics:
Fiberwerx front fenders
Kore Bedsides
ADD front bumper
Retro shop headlights
40" bumper LED
50" LED above windshield
Bed cage to hold spares, jack, spare gas, tools ect

Heres what Im starting with
008.jpg

OP
OP
Peattie

Peattie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went to order my suspension today but the shop said itll be 4-5 weeks before they get it :/ looks like its time to start saving for wheels and tires

OP
OP
Peattie

Peattie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Soooooooo I had to cancel my suspension order :banghead:. I looked at the kit more and realized it was only 8" of travel and thats weak ****.

I will be calling pure performance tomorrow and figure out how much more it is for the 16" coils. May delay the build a bit but hopefully itll be cheap. If not I may end up getting the mounts from pure performance and buying king shocks instead.

I ordered the triple threat kit as it was cheaper and would save me money in the long run. Eventually I'll buy the chase series lower control arms and upgrade to the 2 shocks up front.

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think the word "cheap" belongs in a build like this. It's either do it right or do it twice. Doing it right once will be cheaper than doing it again. Just my .02.

OP
OP
Peattie

Peattie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think the word "cheap" belongs in a build like this. It's either do it right or do it twice. Doing it right once will be cheaper than doing it again. Just my .02.

I know its not cheap. but upgrading later on when I have more money is what I'm planning on doing. For now $1500 is a lot of money to a full time student, I would rather put that towards my wheels and tires than the bigger kit.

The chase series has the extra shocks up front which are supposed to help with fading over long period of time off roading. I will not be doing the baja 500 or anything of that sort so the triple threat kit will be fine. It still costs $6000 plus whatever extra it is to get the longer shocks.

It wont be a race truck but will give me plenty of travel to hit the trails with buddies every now and then.

and when I meant cheap I just meant the price difference between the 8" and 16" shocks. some times the company will upgrade the longer shocks for a small fee vs retail price.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I wanna see this too. I'd love to build one out but I can't bank roll it, lol.

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I was building a truck like this with 17" wheels I'd be running the red letter General tires.

OP
OP
Peattie

Peattie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I was building a truck like this with 17" wheels I'd be running the red letter General tires.

Grabbers are amazing off road but not the greatest all around tire. They are loud on the street, terrible snow/rain/mud tires and they can chunk. Im most likely going to get the falken wildpeak a/t tires. we have them on the raptor and it does well off road and quiet on the street.

Dema

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't wait to see this build down the road. Gonna look sweet!

OP
OP
Peattie

Peattie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
unfortunately there are no updates. The guy that was going to buy my car has flaked, just blowing smoke about his word is his life and all this other garbage. I have a few other people wanting to look at the car so hopefully itll sell soon.

I am going today to talk to a local shop about using my truck as a template for make a long travel kit for the 4th gens. Ive talked to most of the major companies and it seems like nobody wants to make anything for ram. So hopefully I can work out a deal with them.

OP
OP
Peattie

Peattie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I went to a local shop called Dirt Freeks Motorsports, and I must say they are the nicest shop I have been to or called. Im still new to the desert racing/prerunner stuff and they took me into the shop and showed me everything that they do, explained different parts and functions and just very helpful. This will be the shop that makes my long travel kit.

So what the kit will include:
DFMS Long travel kit with: boxed upper control arms, boxed lower control arms, tie rod extensions, extended brake lines, all uniballs, heims and hardware, boxed shock mounts
extended axles
king 10" 2.5 shocks
custom springs
fiberwerx fenders and bed sides

The rear suspension they are still looking at. They are calling king about making a custom spring along with a 2.5 shock.

since they are using my truck as a prototype Im getting a bunch of discounts as well as some free stuff which will help my bank account lol

it should take a day or two to get measurements for everything then itll be about a month wait to get all of the parts and install them. So it looks like I need someone to buy my car soon.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
dude thats going to be killer! how much i would love to desert race/ prerun. i have been wanting to for a while and i almost want to take a 2nd gen and turn it into a dessert baja truck.

i cant wait to see your truck, i love the look of baja styled trucks!

OP
OP
Peattie

Peattie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
dude thats going to be killer! how much i would love to desert race/ prerun. i have been wanting to for a while and i almost want to take a 2nd gen and turn it into a dessert baja truck.

i cant wait to see your truck, i love the look of baja styled trucks!

Yeah it'll be fun. I just need someone to hurry up and but my car so I can't start this!

The shop that is going to make the kit also has 2 races trucks so hopefully I'll have my truck done and can use it as a chase truck for their team. It'll be a lot of fun when it's all done.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Man thats a killer opportunity! If any racing I would like to do it would be dessert baja style or rally racing. The most interesting racing I believe is out there

OP
OP
Peattie

Peattie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So good news! I have a guy flying in from texas to buy my car tomorrow. So I'll be stopping buy the shop next week so they can get measurements for the long travel kit.

OP
OP
Peattie

Peattie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the car is gone finally! Ive been in contact with the shop and it looks like Ill be going in on tuesday to order the shocks and start ordering some other parts.

To save a good chunk of money Ive decided to install the fiberglass myself and go with a different setup for rims. Im probably going with a steel style rim for the time being unless I can find a good deal on something else.

I will most likely be selling all of my stock suspension, front bumper, front axles fenders as well as my 20" wheels. Does anybody know the value of OEM suspension?