Penzoil synthetic motor oil.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi all right now castroll has magnatec motor oil. It clams that it helps engine ware before the motor warms up. I’m at 65k on my truck and I’m at a loss on what to use. I’ve always used penzoil dinosaur oil, but I’m wanting to switch to synthetic now. I’m thinking penzoil synthetic but not sure any advice would help. Also I’ve always use a K&n oil filter

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ram recommends Pennzoil and only that, for the Hemi. If you're under warranty, may want to stick with that.

If engineers say this is the best oil for the engine and oil paths etc = good enough for me.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There are other oils that carry the Chrysler certification. Penzoil is not the only one. I am running PUP with a royal purple filter. You may want to research red line oil.

Trooper2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put Penzoil Platium Full Synthetic in the first-time and have had no issues. Next time I'm going with Penzoil Ultra Platium and a Royal Purple Filter. I will try Red Line I'm sure at some point but I'm sticking with Penzoil for the warrenty. You can't beat the Royal Purple Filter, but if He work well. Look under the Synethic Oil thread. Lots of info there.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I use Pennzoil Platinum in both my 2016 RAM and my wife's 2014 T&C. Never any problems. Been using Pennzoil as long as I have been working on cars.
As far as filters go, it depends on how long you go between oil changes.
If you stick with the 3-4k intervals, your basic Fram, WIX etc will do fine. If you are going to go longer, then I recommend the Fram Ultra Synthetic. It has the highest dirt capacity of the available filters.
With that being said, as long as you stay with a good name brand filter (K&N, Mobile1, Royal Purple etc) and perform regular maintenance you really can't go wrong.
I go to go through training on the Penn Platinum manufacturing and it Is pretty cool how they make it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I use to us K&N filters. Loved the nut on the end. Now it's a Chinese made filter and the filtering specs aren't all that great. For me, I wouldn't run it more than 4500 miles. For extended oci, I prefer filters with synthetic media.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Cecil: Nothing wrong with Pennzoil Platinum.
You can purchase it at virtually every auto parts retailer as well as the big box stores.

WM is my cheapest price point!

To get your moneys worth I would at least take your OCI to 6K-7K Miles.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use to us K&N filters. Loved the nut on the end. Now it's a Chinese made filter and the filtering specs aren't all that great. For me, I wouldn't run it more than 4500 miles. For extended oci, I prefer filters with synthetic media.
Here is a pic of the last k&n that I will ever try to use. I used to run them on my Harley all the time and on my cages sometimes. I'm sure all filters have QA problems from time to time but this is the first and last one I tried on my Hemi. The threads weren't cut square with the base plate so it pulled up crooked, you can see where base was rubbing around the inlet holes on one side.f5aa76839ec5493b9fdd9f39f0bb7f4e.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys are actually finding PUP anywhere?

Only place I can source it from is Amazon and its basically the same price as Redline, per gallon.

Trooper2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's true. I would probably use Redline if I wasn't worried about warrenty issues.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im usually a stickler for making sure warranty is not voided, but with oil I wonder how they would be able to figure out exactly what you put in your crankcase.

Receipts? I have loads of receipts for Pennzoil Ultra (before it was Ultra Platinum) since I bought so much for my G37.

Niteboss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's true. I would probably use Redline if I wasn't worried about warrenty issues.

You can use any oil you want. It will not void warranty. Its called the Magnusson-Moss act. Google it.

If your dealer told u that u have to run a certain oil. Run away as fast as you can. They feeding u a line of crap. Quarantee, they will try and screw you over one way or another.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good price for sure. Wish it would show up in stores.

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
There were a couple of stores in Nashville that had it back a while ago, but none sense.

There appears to have been a supply/demand kind of thing on this oil just recently......

Walmart was always out of stock on it. Amazon had it but was price gouging it (like $54.00).

Recently, its kind of stabilized as far as supply and price.

its made in Qatar (one of the refineries that converts natural gas to oil).

Good price for sure. Wish it would show up in stores.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Amazon has PUP for $24.98 and penzoil has $10 rebate now. A few weeks ago amazon had $3.00 off a 5 at jug, so I got 2 for $44 approx and then will get $20 total rebate from penzoil. So $12 a jug in end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel