Pickup Bed camping

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by 5.56x45, Jan 29, 2015.

1. 5.56x45

5.56x45 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L
    Anyone here do any bed camping? My wife and I + our boston terrier are about to go on an overnight camping trip in SoCal and my plan is to inflate our queen sized air mattress in the bed of my 14 Ram Express Quad Cab(it fits great, already tried it). I'll be putting a tarp + moving blanket underneath the mattress to stop convection, then a wool blanket over the mattress as another layer of insulation. Temperatures will probably be in the high 30's at night. The idea is I'd like to sleep with the stars as a ceiling vs a tent ceiling. I'll obviously bring a tent in the off chance SoCal gets some rain for once.

The essentials also need to come along....whiskey, rum, cider, beer:favorites13:, a grill for cooking bacon, firewood and maybe food and water.

2. crazy_luck

crazy_luck Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I used to camp in the bed of my '99 SLT a few years back. Had a nice fiberglass topper on it with windows that had screens so I could open them and have a nice breeze. There were 4 12V power outlets in the box (one in each corner) so I could pug in my phone to keep it charged and use it as an alarm. Had one of those truck air mattresses that fill in around the wheel wells, it worked pretty slick. Could never do the open box camping around here, the MN state bird, the Mosquito, would swarm you in your sleep and you'd wake up a few pints of blood short...

rammanriley20 and loveracing1988 like this.
  3. Midnite-CTD

Midnite-CTD Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L CTD
    My son and I used to camp in the truck bed a lot, but I did have a really nice truck tent. We used cots with thick wool blankets under our sleeping bags. We really liked it and it was nice to be up off the ground during storms! I did have to stuff the gaps around the tailgate with some pipe insulation to keep the mosquitos out though.

Have fun!

4. SouthShoreRAM

SouthShoreRAM Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    never camped under the stars as your planning, but i have an ARE cap on my truck that is awesome. matched with a padded bed rug and it would make for easy camping in there. with the hatch up you can see a lot of sky so its still nice. i would recommend taking a look at them.

anywho, for what your doing i would seriously recommend a pod type sleeping bag with the full coverage for your head. 30 is COLD at night and your not going to sleep well unless your fully covered. well i wouldn't atleast.

5. newrammer

newrammer Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 v8 magnum
    You think MN mosquitoes are bad, try doing this in FL! God was it the worst night of my life. Stars were pretty though lol

codered likes this.
  6. crazy_luck

crazy_luck Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Do your mosquitoes fly in formation? Sitting down by the river, fishing with friends just feet away and you can't see them because of the swarms of buffalo gnats and mosquitoes... :roflsquared:

7. newrammer

newrammer Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 v8 magnum
    Haha not that bad exactly, but the town where I live we have bug trucks come by twice a week to spray the ditches with killer for mosquitoes they're so bad

8. BLKSHP

BLKSHP Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
  9. Shark

Shark Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 L Hemi
    2x4s across the bed, a sheet of plywood, then a regular good old real mattress. No air mattresses. I built a tray on wheels to roll underneath for storage of all my camping gear. Worked great. Pull into camp and no setup at all. Just crawl in. Condensation with the aluminum cap was a bit of an issue in cold weather.

[​IMG]

10. Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Cummins
    Living in more humid climates I'd be concerned about waking up really damp in the morning. 55-60* is even pretty chilly for camping

I have a bed rug and a tri fold bed cover, its pretty nice to be able to shut it as youre right about to fall asleep.