pinion angles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big john 02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok guys so I have installed the spohn uppers and lowers, now on the instructions it talks about pion angle. My question is do I need to adjust the pinion angle or is ok as is, The instructions talk about how riding around with a preloaded can be hurtful but as long as you stay with a negative 1 degree for daily driving you should be ok, has anyone done this and have you had any issues ect ect ect Thanks for any help
John

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to : razor1
"Adjusted the axle back to center in the opening, set pinion angle to +1.0 degree. All the vibration is gone and everything feels better now. Next comes the sway bar and adjustable panhard bar."

OP
OP
B

big john 02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
nice thank you it does mention the setting of the pinion just wasn't sure if it would become an issue

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1 degree is a good starting point bu the proper way to adjust it is match the angle as it comes off the trans joint, what ever that is match it at the rear. If its 2 degrees make the pinion angle 2 degrees, if its 1 make it 1. This will cancel out vibration and U-joint stress.
Some guys like to add a little in for when the axle is under load but many don't follow that.

Here is a graphic to better show it depending on your set up
shaftangle.jpg

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I forgot to add this pic from Razor1...looks like the shop he had adjust the pinion angle knows what they are doing...

20160409_140042_zpsgjo9ox4z.jpg

razor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
by the time we got done everything came out great. The driveshaft was almost straight out the tail shaft to the rear input. Thrust angle came out at 3 degrees which is in spec too. Just take your time and measure everything a couple of times to make sure they are even from side to side and front to back.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I forgot to add this pic from Razor1...looks like the shop he had adjust the pinion angle knows what they are doing...

Not saying they don't just explaining the process so the OP knows how they came up with the 1 degree angle. It may be different for everyones trucks and susp setup

OP
OP
B

big john 02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks guys I appreciate the help still a lil worried on tackling this myself

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10

20160409_140042_zpsgjo9ox4z.jpg

I am assuming they aren't through adjusting in the pic, because the locknuts are not jammed properly on that one link.

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not saying they don't just explaining the process so the OP knows how they came up with the 1 degree angle. It may be different for everyones trucks and susp setup

I was saying that they know what they are doing because they removed the drive shaft and place the angle level to correct the pinion angle. :)

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am assuming they aren't through adjusting in the pic, because the locknuts are not jammed properly on that one link.

you are correct, from what I see they adjusted the lower control arm and are still adjusting the upper.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was saying that they know what they are doing because they removed the drive shaft and place the angle level to correct the pinion angle. :)

Ah I see what you mean not, Being that it has a flange I would agree.

Measure twice, adjust once?

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't installed the control arms yet, I won't be removing the drive shaft. I'll place the angle level on the flange. Don't want to make it too complicated.

R/T Fire did you install the upper and lower control arms? and how did you do it?

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't installed the control arms yet, I won't be removing the drive shaft. I'll place the angle level on the flange. Don't want to make it too complicated.

R/T Fire did you install the upper and lower control arms? and how did you do it?

I haven't had the time yet, but my plan is to put it on the lift support the front of the truck with a stationary jack and use a tran/axle jack to put the rear axle at ride height, I was going to measure with driveshaft on and of make calculation then install and adjust. I wanted the trans jack to be able to move the axle around to adjust everything.

If I don't get to the shop, I was going to do the same process but put the truck on jackstands to keep it stationary and used wheel dollies I have with the axle at ride height so the axle can move freely for adjustment

Just haven't had the time... I have our grass rigs axle torn down where I would be working on my truck at the moment and no time in the near future... I'm tempted to just take it to a shop and pay them since I don't have any time to do it myself

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear ya man same here not enough time in a day to git r done. Waiting for a long weekend to give it shot...

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jumping in here. What adjustable arms are recommended for lowered 1500's? I cannot seem to find specific info on lowering just obviously lifting. I went down 2" in rear to do a reverse level which did affect angles etc so looking to adjust back into spec, but don't know if spending 600+ on all 5 ones for 0-6" lifts is proper as I suspect the adjustment would be opposite.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio