Please help! Headlights

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Lil red power wagon, May 25, 2016.

1. Lil red power wagon

Lil red power wagon Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Eh-1 LA5.9
    A few weeks ago in my 78 w150, everything was working fine and I can back and now my electronics are messed up. Headlights won't work, i have positive charge flowing through the headlight grounds, turn signals don't work and its so frustrating. If I turn the headlight switch on (which is brand new I just replaced) the turn signal indicators and tach light up. If I turn the turn signals on, both indicators flash like if the hazards are on and the tach light flashes. None of the exterior lights work though as I have charge flowing through the ground wires. I tore into the dash and wiring harness and replaced the headlight switch and still can't figure it out. All my fuses are good too. Please help me

2. tncruiser

tncruiser Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7hemi
    about the only electronics you have is radio and ignition module ,look for in line fuse coming off battery ,try a hot line directly to the switch and trace back from there' If you don't understand wiring it might be time to find a friend or shop to help you out lots of things I would try but a meter and knowledge are your best friend to prevent buring the dodge down'
    ps I love old 150 I had a 76 club cab with a mild built 400 ,road runner heads,650 4 bbl and headers ,bought it out of ok ,sent to a friend in tx for the motor and then brought home to mi, it was quick dmv issued my plate it was sl076 and it was anything but slow
    brianj

3. PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi
    Sounds to me like you have an open ground somewhere. I'd look for a corroded or broken ground wire somewhere. Possibly a black wire with a spade lug on it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. XCR600

XCR600 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Do you have a tilt wheel ? I chased this issue around on my 91 , I replaced the headlight switch that didn't resolve it either. Hot wired a switch of the headlight switch to power running and dash lights , radio no longer works either.

I now believe its a bad turn / wiper delay/ high beam switch just haven't got around to trying it yet.