Polish/clean factory plastic-chrome wheel covers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
So I searched on this one, but couldn't find an answer. My factory wheels have some small stuck on rust deposits so I decided to clean them up. Here's what I landed up getting:

https://www.autozone.com/wash-clean...er-dull-metal-wadding-paste-polish/556779_0_0

Got to using it on one wheel and I'll say it does an AMAZING job...but then I noticed that the factory wheels are chrome ABS over a cast wheel (something I didn't know until this weekend). The Eagle one has petrol products in it (you can smell it), so I immediately stopped as it says its for metal only.

I've been keeping an eye on the wheel all weekend, it still looks great and shows no sign of corrosion.

Am I to take it that this stuff is ok to use? If now, what cleaner polish do you guys use on the plastic covers?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Once you get the wheels "clean" I think you can put either a wax/sealant or even a ceramic coating on the "plastic chrome" wheels. This will make cleaning them up a lot easier and will make them look really good. Also the brake dust is a lot easier to just squirt off. I don't think I would use anything with an abrasive in it as I think you will end up with a whole lot of little scratches. The stuff your using says it doesn't contain any abrasive so I think it will work for you.
It look a lot like stuff we used in the Marines to polish our brass called "Duraglit".
Jay

Tegspeed813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6VVT
Great information. Didn't suck when you realized it was a plastic cover?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I'm not overly fond of the "chrome clad" wheels as they call them. They look ok when new, and the ones on my '09 still look pretty good, but one of the covers has a crack. I've thought about painting them, but would rather find a set of later model rims.

Duaraglit? Never heard of it. In the AF, we used Neverdull.

OP
OP
T

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Great information. Didn't suck when you realized it was a plastic cover?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yes...it did. When I got all up close and personal, I saw that they were glorified hub caps...it got an instant "WFT?!?" from me.

Yeah, I'm not overly fond of the "chrome clad" wheels as they call them. They look ok when new, and the ones on my '09 still look pretty good, but one of the covers has a crack. I've thought about painting them, but would rather find a set of later model rims.

Duaraglit? Never heard of it. In the AF, we used Neverdull.

The only thing that is a plus is that you can buy cheap replacements...$100 for a set of 4.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't particularly like the plastic, but they clean up pretty well and if you keep wax/coating on them they stay looking good for awhile and the brake dust doesn't stick. I was a little surprised when I first figured it out then I realized that the bean counters had struck again. A couple of members have tried to take the "chrome off" and as I remember, they said it was a ***** to get off.
Jay

Ramaniac

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500, Laramie
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I used to use plain ole Fantastic on my Dad's 07. It cut the brake dust right off and made the chrome shine like it was brand new.

SteveRG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Plasti Dip might be a decent sprayon solution. People use it a lot in the motorcycle world

Tallboy2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey I was looking at they 'rims' on my 2019 classic and 3 of them are cracked
Looking at this thread I am bum fizzled as to why! Someone said they can be replaced??
Anyone done it? Is it worth it??

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If they are factory chrome clad they can be replaced, just not with the aftermarket ones from my searching. I ended up removing them cleaning all the tape off and have them coated.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I remember finding out mine was chrome plastic, they look good till you find out they're cheap plastic for some reason. Lol After 9 years they still looked good, just used the same wax I used on the rest of the truck which is Meguiars. Ended up replacing them with "real" chrome wheels and realized how much better they looked over the "fake chrome" wheels.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In regards to polishing, Ive used Meguiars PlastX without issue.

Could probably use any "light" polish and not have an issue. Something like Meguiars 205.

When I first found out they were plastic, I was a little bummed....but then I remembered back to all of the aluminum wheels Ive had over the years that ended up with corrosion under the clear coat, which basically meant they were trashed. Northeast winters are not kind to "nice things", so plastic chrome on my truck that is outside 24/7? Not necessarily a bad thing.