Poll: Whipple vs Procharger

Whipple or procharger

• Whipple

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Procharger

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It wouldn't let me add a poll on the other post so here this is. Whipple vs procharger for 17 ram sport 4X4 with 8speed tranny.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've heard pro-chargers have some lag. Get instant power with twin screw!

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I voted roots only based on low down grunt vs top end scream. They both have a place, its like a supercharger vs turbo debate. The roots will dig down low, which on a track without a properly prepped truck turns into wheel spin, where the centrifugal boosts more with RPM so you get off the line easy with less power and it builds as you go.

I love the instant torque from a roots. If I were to every be allowed to supercharge my truck that would be my route.

zshowket

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And my answer as well is...

Whipple. I installed on one my 2013 with A8. Love it.

zshowket-albums-whipple_install-picture24896-20171014_181445.jpg

Let the questions fly....

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I said whipple as well, but I may be kind of biased.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

How did you join in 2014, put a whipple on yours and this is your first post?!?! Lol

How many miles you put on yours, I’ve got maybe 5k on mine.

zshowket

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did you join in 2014, put a whipple on yours and this is your first post?!?! Lol

How many miles you put on yours, I’ve got maybe 5k on mine.

Long time listener first time caller?

Not many, only a few thousand at this point. I needed to wait for the system to be CA Legal. We are still working on the tuning right now. We are using HP Tuners so we can edit the transmission programming.

Truck runs great though. This is my 2nd whipple. I also have one on a challenger SRT 392.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Long time listener first time caller?

Not many, only a few thousand at this point. I needed to wait for the system to be CA Legal. We are still working on the tuning right now. We are using HP Tuners so we can edit the transmission programming.

Truck runs great though. This is my 2nd whipple. I also have one on a challenger SRT 392.

Did you use the tune from whipple or go the custom route? I used the whipple but got it tuned anyway. Was pretty surprised, the tune from whipple was pretty good. Only thing we changed was a little lean condition right after a shift. Ended up with 500 at the wheels uncorrected at 3000ft.

I’ve yet to mess with the trans tuning yet, it’s on the list.

zshowket

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you use the tune from whipple or go the custom route? I used the whipple but got it tuned anyway. Was pretty surprised, the tune from whipple was pretty good. Only thing we changed was a little lean condition right after a shift. Ended up with 500 at the wheels uncorrected at 3000ft.

I’ve yet to mess with the trans tuning yet, it’s on the list.

We used the Whipple tune for initial setup, it is a great tune and works great right out of the box like you said. Right now what we are doing with HP tuners is testing. We have found some areas that you just cant mess with and some that the truck responds well to. We have to be careful as to not have the transmission cause to much boost at low RPM - that can cause loss of piston tops :)

Maybe we should start a separate thread for Whipple superchargers?

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a Pro Charger on my '13 V6 Mustang. 392 HP at the rear wheels. 3500 pound car. ZERO lag. If you have lag, something is not right. This is the right answer for the Mustang.

However, if I was going to blow the Ram, it would be a Roots or Whipple. They look like they belong. Plus, Trucks need low down torque. They say "there's no replacement for displacement. " That's not entirely accurate. Forced Induction is a good replacement.

zshowket

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Pro Charger on my '13 V6 Mustang. 392 HP at the rear wheels. 3500 pound car. ZERO lag. If you have lag, something is not right. This is the right answer for the Mustang.

Oh yea, I have one of those on my Street Glide. Great kit and went on super easy. No tuner options though, I had to dynotune that one. Such a blast to ride. I only have 130 HP on the ground though.
charger.jpg

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
Whipple, although the pro charger kit is a good piece, Whipple is just su[erior. Those guys REALLY know what they're doing.

OP
OP
ivey_usmc

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Very nice to start off with! Do you worry about the transmission at all? Have you taken it on any long road trips?

zshowket

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very nice to start off with! Do you worry about the transmission at all? Have you taken it on any long road trips?

Thank you for your compliment.

I do not worry about the tranny at all. Honestly, if I was drag racing the truck every week then yes I would. This is a daily driver and yes I dip into the power it has from time to time, like passing on the freeway, or sucking up some diesel guys. That is really the best! The look on their faces when they think that are about to smoke you out and your half ton goes by them is just the best!

This is the same transmission that is in the SRT 392 and Hellcat. Now is it built as strong? Honestly I do not know that at all. But the way the truck drives and operates with the Whipple I do not have any concerns with losing it.

As for road trips yes, we just did one over the last holiday. Truck averaged over 17mpg. This is with a 6" lift, 35" tires and 3.21 gears. I will at some point re-gear to 3.92.

OP
OP
ivey_usmc

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Great! Any downside of having a whipple?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thank you for your compliment.

I do not worry about the tranny at all. Honestly, if I was drag racing the truck every week then yes I would. This is a daily driver and yes I dip into the power it has from time to time, like passing on the freeway, or sucking up some diesel guys. That is really the best! The look on their faces when they think that are about to smoke you out and your half ton goes by them is just the best!

This is the same transmission that is in the SRT 392 and Hellcat. Now is it built as strong? Honestly I do not know that at all. But the way the truck drives and operates with the Whipple I do not have any concerns with losing it.

As for road trips yes, we just did one over the last holiday. Truck averaged over 17mpg. This is with a 6" lift, 35" tires and 3.21 gears. I will at some point re-gear to 3.92.

The hellcat transmission is different, it’s the 8HP90, it’s got quite a bit of modifications to handle the power.

Both the SRT 8 cars/WK use the 8HP70 which is the same transmission in the trucks.

zshowket

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes RLJ10X, 4:10 would be great. But from what I understand my options are limited. Right now my next step is the Fox coilovers, then I will start looking at gearing. I have not had a chance to really research it correctly.

For ivey_usmc, to answer your question, no, not that I have found. I installed mine in less than 7 hours from wheels up to wheels down. However, this was my second install in a Mopar with a Whipple. They are not cheap, but you do get what you pay for in quality and support. Hope this helps, let me know if I can be of any assistance.