Poll: Whipple vs Procharger

Whipple or procharger

• Whipple

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Procharger

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It wouldn't let me add a poll on the other post so here this is. Whipple vs procharger for 17 ram sport 4X4 with 8speed tranny.

From what I've gathered up from your earlier posts,i wouldn't rule out the Edelbrock blower,it's a bit cheaper then the Whipple.It might not be as efficient,but if you're not looking to race the truck and get the absolute last tenth out of it,it might be an option for you to look into.

Truck Tech did a show where they put an Edelbrock on a 2013 Ram,with before and after dyno numbers

https://www.powernationtv.com/episode/TT2016-03/project-hemi-hauler-supercharger-exhaust

Last edited:

The kracken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8 speed 3.92 with a procharger will build the boost almost instantly when you stomp on it . for towing id say whipple
The whipples seem to make a little more power with the same amount of boost alot of big names in racing are going with a procharger to replace nitrous. Its all personal preference. at the track they are almost the same

Sent from a device thats sends stuff

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The hellcat transmission is different, it’s the 8HP90, it’s got quite a bit of modifications to handle the power.

Both the SRT 8 cars/WK use the 8HP70 which is the same transmission in the trucks.

Just to add to this part of the subject on which is better. I remember reading the ram 8spd transmission is rated to just a touch over 500ft lbs of torque.

If you start decreasing pulley size to get more boost you'll want to look at upgrading the tranny to handle that added abuse :)

Both of those superchargers will easily hit that mark.

My question would be is that Hellcat tranny a direct bolt in along with some tcm tuning?

That would be the easiest solution if the price isn't through the roof.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You are right, the 8HP70 is rated for 700nm which is about 516ft/lbs, that’s constant torque as well. The 8hp90 is 900nm which is 663ft/lbs. The 90 is also a physically larger transmission as well, so I dunno about figment but I imagine it would likely fit. Honestly I believe their torque ratings are on the conservative side as well. There’s lots of 8 speeds out there that see well over 500ft/lbs of torque with very little failures.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You cant go wrong with either.

Edelbrock is another awesome option. They use a TVS blower which is a roots style. That will give you great low end tq.

We offer the E-Force kits. Let me know if we can help you out. here is some info on the Edelbrock

"Give your dodge ram truck more towing power with our new E-Force Supercharger. E-Force supercharger systems are the most efficient designs on the market and will deliver an impressive 421 rear wheel horsepower and 441 ft-lbs. of torque for the popular Dodge 5.7L HEMI engine. This complete supercharger system provides maximum flow, minimum temperature rise, quiet operation and reliability only the Edelbrock name can guarantee. It features minimum air restriction in and out of the supercharger for optimal flow and performance. The individual 7" long intake runners allow for maximum low end torque for towing and off-road applications while maintaining great daily driving manners."

1538.jpg

Last edited:

zshowket

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the transmission education as well guys, I appreciate that much.

All of these are great options, I have personal experience with Pro Charger and Whipple and I have used both of their products with great success. I also have a Vortec SC on my Jeep from Ripp, another great product. I think the centrifugal chargers come on smoother than the roots style and I think they are more efficient at a higher RPM. This tends to lend them to be a better option if you have a manual transmission. The positive displacement or roots style seem to come on a little sooner and build boost much faster, but top out sooner and are not able to continue to add boost and increase to a higher RPM. Please know that I am not saying this is factual, this is just my personal experience with the different options.

So, ultimately the decision will be the owners as the best direction to go. How do you drive your truck and when. Do you race it, tow with it or just drive it every day and get on it now and then.

The other consideration is installation. Are you going to do it yourself? If so, download the instructions for each one you are comparing and read through them in detail. You will learn a lot from that. I used that as part of my research methods and it did help me eliminate 1 option when I was installing on my Challenger.