Por-15 "Build" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I honestly thought about it and think I will. Any idea the bolt pattern?

Just letting you know that I just did this, looks great!!! Bolt size is 5/16-18 x 5/8" I used stainless steel flange bolts that I ordered through Albany County Fasteners!

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just letting you know that I just did this, looks great!!! Bolt size is 5/16-18 x 5/8" I used stainless steel flange bolts that I ordered through Albany County Fasteners!
Too late lol

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I used another paint as a top coat. It was a rust paint but a lot cheaper than por15 topcoat. A buddy that used it said it’s really thin I believe.

I painted everything underneath mine. I did frame, axle, underbody as well. This is gloss black. For color, I would do whatever you like. Gloss seems to show issues like peeling a lot better for me anyways. If you want a red top coat, do it! You will definitely know how it will hold up over time. Top coat anything you think will get any light like the bottom of the frame.

B1DBBAD7-9471-490A-8B7C-B0FEB161809F.jpeg

189A0C5C-EE8E-4536-AA30-81B951775741.jpeg

Last edited:

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I used another paint as a top coat. It was a rust paint but a lot cheaper than por15 topcoat. A buddy that used it said it’s really thin I believe.

I painted everything underneath mine. I did frame, axle, underbody as well. This is gloss black. For color, I would do whatever you like. Gloss seems to show issues like peeling a lot better for me anyways. If you want a red top coat, do it! You will definitely know how it will hold up over time. Top coat anything you think will get any light like the bottom of the frame.

View attachment 129910

View attachment 129911
Oh hell yes!

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Wear coveralls, this stuff will stay on your skin for many days and eye protection.

I used dollar store brushes 3 inch and 1 inch for the smaller areas.
I painted the por15 then brushed on rust paint (armor coat- brand) as the top coat with separate brush.
Drive up on 4 wheel ramps and pressure wash underneath. It gets it sparkling clean. Start high and work your way down when painting.
Keep it ventilated as this stuff is not great to breathe in or wear a mask with filters. You can do the driveshaft with no issues either. I found the exhaust peeled after a year. I used a gallon of POR15 and a gallon of armor coat as a top coat. I painted all 4 calipers, frame, front drive shafts, UCA, LCA, tie rods, everything except for rotors, springs. I did as much of the undercarriage of the truck and box without removing the tank, etc. I did the rear axle, sway bars, and as much as I could reach. The more you remove, like the front bumper, the easier it will be.

If anything pops into my head I’ll update this.

Once your happy with it, use Krown rust proofing to keep it lasting forever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got home from vacation and found some extended linkage from Hellwig on my doorstep. These should do the trick to get proper positioning. I'll have to throw them in sometime this week. IMG_20180610_212919.jpg

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Hey how much por 15 did you use to paint the rear axle? I want to paint my driveshaft and that should be somewhat close to the same amount of coverage

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey how much por 15 did you use to paint the rear axle? I want to paint my driveshaft and that should be somewhat close to the same amount of coverage
I used about three ounces for two coats and did a light coat of the chassis black. To say this stuff goes a long way is an understatement. The driveshaft should be about half that if I had to guess. The chassis black is only available in a qt or more and does not stretch nearly as much. DO NOT get a quart of the por-15. It'll be way too much and a waste. The lid will 'seal' from drippage and drying, which prevents reuse. They sell 4oz cans, so I got 4 of those for slightly more than a qt if I recall correctly. I plan on doing my driveshaft at some point as well, but it'll probably have to wait for a couple of months, too much **** going on at the moment.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I finally just threw the longer endlinks on that hellwig sent. Thought it would be a great evening... 90 degrees and 85 percent hunidity. Both ends of the sway bar are close to parallel with the ground now. I just took it for a spin up the neighborhood into two large, open culdesacs and holy hell what a difference. I took both immediate full turn at 20mph, tires screeching and all and there was nearly no body roll. Full disclosure, I was able to unscrew the top of one of the endlinks attached with my fingers, so the comparison may not be 100 percent lol. Made sure to use all the lock nuts this time instead of my own hardware. Pics below. Side by side with the previous endlinks that came with the kit supposedly for a 4-6 inch lift.IMG_20180629_224430.jpg IMG_20180629_231302.jpg IMG_20180629_231321.jpg

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh, also... I feel like the turning radius was much better, maybe it's because I had much more confidence turning aggressively due to the lack of body roll. My first turn, I did not go full bore at first until I felt the improvement and confidence with the lack of roll.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn how long are they now?

I hear make them parallel with the frame and some say the ground.

BTW, with a 6” kit your panhard bar should be in the top hole on that bracket

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn how long are they now?

I hear make them parallel with the frame and some say the ground.

BTW, with a 6” kit your panhard bar should be in the top hole on that bracket

Not sure how long they are now, but I can measure if you're really interested. I did shorten the new endlinks quite a bit over their max length, probably two inches or so. Hellwig directions said parallel with the ground. Both ends of my bar aren't even now. I tried to even use a level and there was a decent, visible variation. I assume it's because of whatever that ******** powder coater did to my bar. Thanks for the heads up in the panhard bar.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the measurement

The top hole on the differential mount is for the 5” coils (I thought that’s what you had)

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score