posi clutches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Ok the differential I bought is having some issues. I called yukon and they said that they can not replace it cause they haven't fixed the issues yet. But they will give me a full refund and as soon as I get it out to send it back.

I have a spare open carrier. Is there a way to buy clutch packs and make my open diff into a posi Unit?

OP
OP
jbmobbs

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
No you need a diff carrier.
Ugh. I was trying to avoid that lol
Well I gotta replace it anyway, I'm thinking about putting a spartain locker in the center of the open different

Apparently I'm not gonna save money anyway lmao.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
You can install a "lunchbox" locker like a powertrax or something but I highly suggest not if you run oversized tires or off road often

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Not worth it in my op, you will kill it fast. What happened to the yukon lsd? Detroit locker time bud.

OP
OP
jbmobbs

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Not worth it in my op, you will kill it fast. What happened to the yukon lsd? Detroit locker time bud.
Something with the clutches blew out.....it's pretty much an open diff now. And they can't replace it cause they haven't fixed the issues yet....I'm not the only one who's had it mess up.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Detroit limited slip has no clutches. They are pretty tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I have no problems with the Detroit Truetrac great part, but me I would go Detroit locker all the way. Up here a Dl will cost about $800 probably find them cheaper down there.

OP
OP
jbmobbs

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I have no problems with the Detroit Truetrac great part, but me I would go Detroit locker all the way. Up here a Dl will cost about $800 probably find them cheaper down there.
Will it chew up my rear tires while turning? Does it have any slip or is it like welded spider gears?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I depends on what you are using the rig for. My Cherokee is locked up front and rear. I drove it daily for a year until I got my ram. Wouldn't put an auto locker in the ram, it is my daily driver and doesn't see much off-road use. It is up to you.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will it chew up my rear tires while turning? Does it have any slip or is it like welded spider gears?

The trutrac is a limited slip that will probably perform like what you have now but when it was working. The good part is there are no clutches to wear out. It is gear driven.

A Detroit locker will unlock when you are not on the throttle so you can go around corners easier. But It is fully locked when you are on the throttle. They perform better off-road but there can be some chirping and some exciting driving in the rain and snow until you get used to it.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas

It will not chew up your tires, it does unlock when turning and only when turning, makes a clicking sound as it unlocks.

I ran them front and back for many a year in my truck. I don't recommend them for the front in a DD to most, but I liked it.

OP
OP
jbmobbs

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
It will not chew up your tires, it does unlock when turning and only when turning, makes a clicking sound as it unlocks.

I ran them front and back for many a year in my truck. I don't recommend them for the front in a DD to most, but I liked it.
Yukon has them for 480 and some change.....may I ask what issues they cause in the front on a dd?

EDIT....I looked at the wrong one. It's $716 and some change lol

Last edited:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
A Dl in the front will make the front Ds spin all the time, even with the cad. This makes that front tire to drag just a bit (on snow/ice this is very noticeable). You can not get away with dry pavement turns when in 4wd it will snap the front u-joints or worse. Mpg will drop just a tad but who cares as we don't get good mpg anyway.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you don't have locking hubs, the front driveshaft is spinning all the time anyway. In 2wd, you will likely not notice a locker in the front at all.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Not in our truck's when in 2wd with the stock open diff the front ds does not turn. Only when in 4wd does it turn.I have driven with a front Dl YES you will notice it in 2wd or 4wd.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh ok. Just saw he has a 96.