Possible GM to RAM this weekend question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Gasser54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Then you must drive pretty aggressive. I have a 2016 crewcab 4x4 with 3:21 and 5.7. I drive back and forth between Washington DC and Virginia Beach every weekend. Usually have the cruise locked in on 80mph and average right at 20mpg. Driving slower I have averaged close to 23mpg. This is by the computer not hand calculated.

Exact truck I'm getting Wednesday, those are nice numbers! I'm actually still debating on this and an F150. Probably shouldn't admit that on this forum, I just really want a truck that will last 10 years or more. My wife is pushing the Ford because the safety ratings are 5 on the f150. However, I've always doubted those test vs real world.

Thanks for the post! You guys are awesome.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Exact truck I'm getting Wednesday, those are nice numbers! I'm actually still debating on this and an F150. Probably shouldn't admit that on this forum, I just really want a truck that will last 10 years or more. My wife is pushing the Ford because the safety ratings are 5 on the f150. However, I've always doubted those test vs real world.

ANY truck ought to last 10 yrs+, easy ...if you give it good maintenance and don't let things get ahead of you, but you gotta look at all options (that's how I got from GM to Ram!). Probably should look at Tundra's too. Toyota's have a great track record for longevity, one reason they usually cost more. Ford would probably be the last one I'd look at for longevity, but that's based on my years-old experience with past fords, not necessarily their current product. But the safety rating is a good thing to look at too. I don't know why but on a Toyota Tundra forum I spent some time on people there were rude and not very open to discussing anything about other makes. It was completely the opposite of this group. I've owned Toyotas way back when and they were good for what they were.

I'm happy with my Ram. Basic but it's got 150k+ mi and runs, looks, drives great. No squeaks rattles or hick-ups (yet anyway). I'm planning on keeping it a good while. Give them all a drive and let us know what you end up with ...and why.

Good luck

Last edited:

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Ecstatic:

Adjective

1. Overwhelming happiness and joyful excitement

This is me when I break 12mpg :happy175:

Damn bro, even my 6.4 will do 15 highway without too much effort lol.

My 1500 never was too great on the highway. Probably mostly my fault, I never babied it on the highway much. Plus when I put A/T tires on it, it just lost like 3 MPG highway, and that was in factory size.. For some reason its a lot easier for me to go easy with the 2500 on the highway. I guess since its so heavy you just are OK with sitting back and cruising.

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
I drive much slower in my 2500 than I did in the my rental 1500 that I had for 5 months.

OP, did you pull the trigger?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Gasser54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drive much slower in my 2500 than I did in the my rental 1500 that I had for 5 months.

OP, did you pull the trigger?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

I'm actually making a final decision tomorrow. To be honest I'm a little weary as I've been reading too much into this. The hemi tick, how rams had horrible transmissions, etc is making me second guess it.

OP
OP
G

Gasser54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With this said, my sister has a 2012 Ram express with 136,000 miles and not one single problem ever. This is what pushed me towards RAM in the first place.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
The 8sp in the Ram is one of if not the best transmission going period.

There are some trucks out there with Hemi tick, but its not like every other truck has this problem. Mine does not make a sound.
Its just like not all 5.3s are noisy motors mine was very quiet.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemi tick is blown way out of proportion and affects a tiny minority of trucks. The 8 speed is THE BEST transmission in any pickup. The RAMs are the most sorted of any of the half tons...though maybe the ancient Tundra has it beat.

No turbos to blow up, condensers to fill with water, no random uncontrollable and un-diagnose-able shaking, no GM quality control... just a sorted engine, excellent transmission, and the best interiors in the business.

Hard to beat that!

Last edited:

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi tick is blown way out of proportion and affects a tiny minority of trucks. The 8 speed is THE BEST transmission in any pickup. The RAMs are the most sorted of any of the half tons...though maybe the ancient Tundra has it beat.

No turbos to blow up, condensers to fill with water, no random uncontrollable and un-diagnose-able shaking, no GM quality control... just a sorted engine, excellent transmission, and the best interiors in the business.

Hard to beat that!

+1

If you're not going to buy a Ram, don't make it because of the tranny. The 8 spd is the best truck tranny on the market.

In addition to only a small percentage of Rams having the Hemi tick, it is not harmful, and almost always subsides or goes away completely with the addition of high quality synthetic oil, such as Royal Purple.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On road trips, I get 20mpg pretty easily going 70-75. I have a Big Horn crew cab with 5.7, 8spd, and 3.92. The 3.21 gears will get 20mpg on the highway no problem.

I had a 2014 Silverado LTZ with the 5.3 as a rental while on vacation. It felt way less powerful than my Ram.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
8 sp Transmission is great, and smooth. Hemi engine is of poor quality in my opinion. Hemi tick is not a huge deal, but there are many other issues with lifters, manifold bolts, etc

I'm amazed at how many people having lots of issues with their hemi engines but are still loyal to their ram trucks. I don't think that's rational.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Hey guys,

So I've found a 2016 Ram 5.7, 4x4 3.21 8 speed crew cab That I will probably trade in this weekend. My current truck is a Silverado 5.3 with 3.08 and I average 20MPG 80% highway driving. My question is can I expect similar mileage on the highway with the RAM? Would love input from folks with a similar truck.

Also, how is the towing with the 3.21 gears and 8 speed. Reason I'm getting rid of the Chevy is I was misled when I bought it as having 3.42 gears and found out it actually has 3.08 gears and it doesn't tow 5K lbs great at all.

Thank you very much for your knowledge and help!

I didnt read through the thread so i dont know if you have decided yet but....

Come to the HEMI side, ive had tons of rams and the HEMI has been my most trouble free motor by far, my 2014 2wd hemi with the 8spd got amazing MPG on the hwy over 20mpg all day long, my dads old 4x4 got around 20 on the hwy, ive towed many cars, campers, ect. with my hemis and as long as you have your load setup properly and you are not overweight for your trucks capabilities, towing will be a breeze, i think you will be happy with the ram if you make the switch :favorites13:

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
8 sp Transmission is great, and smooth. Hemi engine is of poor quality in my opinion. Hemi tick is not a huge deal, but there are many other issues with lifters, manifold bolts, etc

I'm amazed at how many people having lots of issues with their hemi engines but are still loyal to their ram trucks. I don't think that's rational.

Do you think other brands have fewer problems? If so, go check their forums and see what they're saying.

Fieldoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First of all Ford does have a v8 that sounds awesome ands that is the 5.0 I had one and that is what traded for my 17 longhorn. The 5,3 chevy is only 355 hp vs our 395 so the hemi should feel way better. That being said to get roughly the same mpg or slightly less with a higher torque and hp engine proven over many years is a no brainer. On the farm we have a 15 f150, 16 gmc 5.3 and my longhorn. The only one close to the hemi is the 5.0 in terms of power yet the 5.0 is a high revcving power maker, hemi has more torque lower. Only other problem with the hemi is trying to drive it slow, it just likes to go fast.:).

xracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First of all Ford does have a v8 that sounds awesome ands that is the 5.0 I had one and that is what traded for my 17 longhorn. The 5,3 chevy is only 355 hp vs our 395 so the hemi should feel way better. That being said to get roughly the same mpg or slightly less with a higher torque and hp engine proven over many years is a no brainer. On the farm we have a 15 f150, 16 gmc 5.3 and my longhorn. The only one close to the hemi is the 5.0 in terms of power yet the 5.0 is a high revcving power maker, hemi has more torque lower. Only other problem with the hemi is trying to drive it slow, it just likes to go fast.:).

Here's my take:
http://www.ramforum.com/posts/1627846/

We've been trailering horses for years. One year ago we moved up to a gooseneck. I can tell you without hesitation Ford and Chevy 1/2 tons do not haul goosenecks, and if they do they are short 2 horse. At the horse shows nearly everyone drives 2500-5500's, mostly diesels on the real big trailers. The Ford 5.0 does not have the guts to pull like a RAM 5.7. The 5.3 GM is a pig, no offense. The new 6.2 option for 2017 GM models was done out of necessity.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
that post you referred to is right on .I tow a fifth wheel with mine get 10-11 mpg towing it and no problems and no hunting for gears. added air bags to remove squat after this pic.

20160529_111439.jpg

Fieldoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's my take:
http://www.ramforum.com/posts/1627846/

We've been trailering horses for years. One year ago we moved up to a gooseneck. I can tell you without hesitation Ford and Chevy 1/2 tons do not haul goosenecks, and if they do they are short 2 horse. At the horse shows nearly everyone drives 2500-5500's, mostly diesels on the real big trailers. The Ford 5.0 does not have the guts to pull like a RAM 5.7. The 5.3 GM is a pig, no offense. The new 6.2 option for 2017 GM models was done out of necessity.
My 13 f150 pulled extremely well for a 5.0. Could pull my 24' enclosed car hauler 75-80 loaded, 7-8000 lbs to az and back, up and down the mountains 60-70. The 15 is yet higher hp and also pulls well. Are they the same as the hemi, no. But was pointing out the 5.0 pulls quite well and is not a slouch, the 5.3 is well, a pig. The 18 5.0 is basically same hp as the hemi. And I think maybe faster in 1/4 mile. Don't get me wrong, I like the hemi a lot and the power and lower end torque it makes but by no means is the 5.0 down and out.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
No replacement for displacement! That is why Ram brought the 6.4L in the 2500 the curve is a lot better typically when you have some more displacement. Then again the old Cummins which we know is a beast was only 5.9L and would out do all the other offerings during the time that all had more displacement. Where I am from we kill Coyotes not drive them.