Possible Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rodo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, new forum member looking at possibly purchasing a 2500. I've got a buddy that owns a dealership and he's recently bought a 2005 ram 2500 with the 5.7 hemi with about 105k on it. Quad cab laramie with 4x4. Says hes had a mechanic go through it and the only thing that was wrong was rear brake lines that have been replaced and some rust above the wheels that will be cut and new metal welded in. Exterior and interior wise the truck seems to be in pretty good condition however it does have rust underneath. I haven't seen it in person yet but I've been told his body shop says its only surface rust. The car fax seems to be clean as well but having never owned a "high" mileage vehicle I'm looking for any advice as to if its worth buying or anything specific I might need to check or look at replacing. I've included pics from underneath and the latest carfax reports. Car will be fully detailed with the undercarrige power washed and a fresh oil change. Hes asking 12k and if I don't purchase says he will list it at 14k. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG-0124.jpg
    IMG-0124.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-0125.jpg
    IMG-0125.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-0126.JPG
    IMG-0126.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-0127.jpg
    IMG-0127.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-0136.jpg
    IMG-0136.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 34

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Where is this truck at if the truck was here in Georgia I wouldn't touch it for the rust .It has to be where there is a lot of salt or just didn't clean mud or junk from out from underneath .For what I see that is a lot of rust I don't consider that surface rust start having to remove bolts and such .Over a hundred thousand mile is not a lot of miles now days because of the way engines are made compaired as a few years ago.When a car or truck those miles it was considered worn out not now.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
looks like a lot of rust there..

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where is this truck at if the truck was here in Georgia I wouldn't touch it for the rust .It has to be where there is a lot of salt or just didn't clean mud or junk from out from underneath .For what I see that is a lot of rust I don't consider that surface rust start having to remove bolts and such .Over a hundred thousand mile is not a lot of miles now days because of the way engines are made compaired as a few years ago.When a car or truck those miles it was considered worn out not now.

From his picture I would guess the truck is in Illinois

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8 NOW with Moose Power
There is the same or more rust on that truck underneath then on my 03 up here in Ontario. Where they use salt every day.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
That’s salt corrosion.
My truck was worse.
I crawled underneath and cleaned it all up and repainted/coated everything.

Metal should be inspected to check severity. Might just be surface and not a real issue but it needs to be checked.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What i would do is see if you can have it inspected somewhere else.Take the tail lights out and look at the rear wheel arches and front fender wheel well if you see rust don't buy that truck .Take in mind you are going to have to do repair work on that truck like shocks and surpension parts and engine parts if that thing is so rusty you are going to have fun removing them.I no expert on cars and trucks being sold here that come from states that have a lot of snow but have seen what it does to a truck.I have seen cars and trucks that been near salty water or someone has drove it on a beach and not wash out from out from underneath and go bogging and not take it to a car wash and clean the crap out from under it.Just a little surface rust it maybe but I don't want it because someday I have to repair it.

OP
OP
R

Rodo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck is originally an IIllinois truck and almost every truck ive seen from there has been similar or worse. Ive had a body guy look at it and he pretty much confirmed that while there is a lot of it its all surface rust. 90% of it should power wash off and whatever doesnt will be hit with a grinder and undercoated. Should last about 2.5-3 years until it might need a minor touch up. He didnt see anything thats gone through the metal. Overall he gave it an 8/10 body wise.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Sure looks like mostly surface stuff to me, tho a lot of it, and no, won't come off with a pressure washer. Where there is that much surface rust (appears to be salt related) the hardware (nuts bolts etc) will have taken a beating. Working on it will be a bit more difficult, more torch work rather than unbolting. That being said, the mileage is low and if the price is right, go for it! How's the interior? Paint? Body?

OP
OP
R

Rodo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sure looks like mostly surface stuff to me, tho a lot of it, and no, won't come off with a pressure washer. Where there is that much surface rust (appears to be salt related) the hardware (nuts bolts etc) will have taken a beating. Working on it will be a bit more difficult, more torch work rather than unbolting. That being said, the mileage is low and if the price is right, go for it! How's the interior? Paint? Body?

Interior is like new, body is about an 8/10. Carfax wise it seems to have been serviced most of its life at a dealer. Drives smooth no noises, pulls, etc. The only thing that kept me from making the purchase was the large amount of rust underneath. The guy who initially inspected it said other than being a pain to work on due to the rust the only thing it should need is an oil change, but I still plan on doing a full fluid flush and possibly plugs and wires. The rest such as brakes, battery, etc. as needed.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Power wash the underside. Get into every nook and cranny possible.
Remove tail lights and power wash behind quarter panel/wheel well.
You need to remove as much grit grime and salt as possible.
That will buy you some time to get under there and really clean it up with wire wheels, scrapers, etc, and then coat everything with a rust inhibitor.

DO NOT USE UNDERCOATING.

OP
OP
R

Rodo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why wouldn't I undercoat it? It seems like getting some type of bedliner or undercoating under there is among the first things people do when they buy a truck. The whole things going to get power washed and whatever doesnt come off hit with a grinder. Sprayed with that paintable anti rust primer and then hit with bedliner. Obviously im not expecting this thing to look brand new but if I can get 3-4 years out of it while I pay off my wrangler ill be happy.

Two separate places have looked at it and the only serious rust they saw was by one of the rear wheel wells i believe and that piece has been completely cut out with new metal welded in.

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just realize before you buy that when it comes to service, you're on your own. Good luck. (remember black jack dealers say this to you when you buy in)

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you buy that old a truck you on your on any way most places says as is.The man cannot afford a new one I know I can't but with that much rust he's got a job keeping it at bay.

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
that's not bad rust honestly. ky trucks are much worse. both my chevys where and I washed the 04 dmax everytime as soon as the weather opened up enough I could. it rusted much worse than that.

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not sure this is the place to post this, I'm new to this forum (new to forums in general, actually), looking for advice on how to address rust bubbles just above rear wheels on BOTH sides! Unfortunately it didn't appear within the 5 years to be under warranty. (2011 Sport) I'm leaning toward the OEM fender flares, painted to match the truck (deep green), to give it a Laramie kinda look. But how / can I keep rust from getting worse under the fender flares? And does $1500 sound like a good price from a body shop to do this, both sides, 4 fender flares, including replacing the rear bumper? (Which is rusting around the backup sensors)