Possible to add Passive entry to tailgate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello I've purchased a 2017 RAM 1500 Sport w/convenience and comfort group.

I wish I had passive entry on the tailgate when my hands are full and getting to the key fob is sometimes challenging. I've asked the dealer but is response is like all other answers to addons I would like: 'if the truck did not come with it you are out of luck'.

I understand I would need to install a proximity antenna and passive sensor.

the question is would the BCM require programming?

tks

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a great question , my wife's 16 Challenger RT Plus has passive entry and trunk .

A.passive tailgate unlock would be great .
I've never heard of anyone adding this before .

Welcome to the forum from Tennessee.!

Subscribed for the info .

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Interesting. Watching.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
If there is no way to do it, or in the mean time I know on my tuck that when using the passive entry on drivers side it unlocks The tailgate

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If there is no way to do it, or in the mean time I know on my tuck that when using the passive entry on drivers side it unlocks The tailgate
So your 16 Ram has passive entry ?

With your key in your pocket can you open your tailgate without touching your key ?

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Yes as long as I touch the drivers side door handle first. I think the passenger side will unlock the tailgate also

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes as long as I touch the drivers side door handle first. I think the passenger side will unlock the tailgate also
So you can't just walk up to the tailgate and open it first ?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
No, that's why I was saying in the mean time if this can't be done it's easier to go the the drivers side and unlock the door which unlocks the tailgate vs having to pull the key out. Sorry for the confusion

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You actually have to put your fingers on the inside of the door handle as if you were about to open the door to trigger the keyless entry system to unlock the doors. In the EVIC or DID, you can program the drivers door to unlock either all doors and tailgate or just the drivers door. If you trigger the passenger door though, it will unlock all doors and tailgate.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You actually have to put your fingers on the inside of the door handle as if you were about to open the door to trigger the keyless entry system to unlock the doors. In the EVIC or DID, you can program the drivers door to unlock either all doors and tailgate or just the drivers door. If you trigger the passenger door though, it will unlock all doors and tailgate.

you dont need to put your fingers inside the handle. its actually the little rectangle button on the handle that unlock/locks it i lock and unlock mine all the time using that.

as for the tailgate i believe its too far back that the fob is out of range for the receiver.

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you dont need to put your fingers inside the handle. its actually the little rectangle button on the handle that unlock/locks it i lock and unlock mine all the time using that.

as for the tailgate i believe its too far back that the fob is out of range for the receiver.

You must have an unusual truck! On my 2016, pressing the button on the door handle only locks the doors, no matter how many times I press it. To open the doors I must slide my fingers inside the door handle or grab it. This agrees with the 2016 Owner's manual, pages 43 through 47.

Also, there is no receiver in the tailgate handle or some other form of switch so the electronics in the truck does not detect that you have lifted the tailgate handle. It would be convenient to have that feature though. I have read elsewhere where members also wanted receivers in the two back doors.

OP
OP
B

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So no one has done or know how to add keyless entry to the tailgate?
I know I probably would need to add a receiver antenna in the tailgate and add the triangle button in the tailgate handle somehow. I guess I could try to reroute the passanger keyless entry wires/antenna to the tailgate...

OP
OP
B

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The new high end Ram trucks now have this as a factory option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963