Power Side Mirrors Add On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dtlasic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please see newest post titled "PROGRESS". THANKS!!

After doing a bunch of mods to my truck I have one issue in that I only have manual side mirrors. Since I put my truck in the one car stall in my garage as it is the deepest, I must get out and fold the passenger side mirror in before parking. The driver's side is not a big problem.

Has anyone tackled this? I've found on Amazon a mirror switch that would just work the power fold mechanism. I don't have the power windows so I don't have the door panels with the power switch placement.

On the power locks I put in I found door lock switches from a '95 Chevy Astro that I used. I only had to cut the access holes into my door panels, mount the switches and used only a two wire setup with the double door lock relay system I used. This way I can lock or unlock separately from the alarm system.

Last edited:

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
if you're just going to "hard wire" it in, I'd imagine the wiring would be similar to the power locks, a two way momentary rocker switch. Now whether or not the OEM mirrors would work that way, I'm not sure. I know you need an computer flash to install them as intended.

If you could confirm the OEM mirrors can be signaled to open or close via 2 different electrical signals, like a power window, then wiring would be simple

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on how you are wiring them, and what year the truck and mirrors are. I did this mod...you don't need the dealer to flash them for the power fold....cause the dealer can't , if your truck is a model that it isn't a option, like my Express.... they can add the puddle lights and turn signals, but not the power fold. RicksRam did a write up somewhere on here I believe.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Depends on how you are wiring them, and what year the truck and mirrors are. I did this mod...you don't need the dealer to flash them for the power fold....cause the dealer can't , if your truck is a model that it isn't a option, like my Express.... they can add the puddle lights and turn signals, but not the power fold. RicksRam did a write up somewhere on here I believe.

You can actually ad the sales code to an Express model now. The code is LER but you will need to replace both door modules and the window switch. Alternatively you can save a ton of $$$ and just wire them up to a momentary DPDT switch and rock on with mirrors that fold with more control than factory. Thats what I'm doing when mine arrive next week. Hope that helps:happy107:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can actually ad the sales code to an Express model now. The code is LER but you will need to replace both door modules and the window switch. Alternatively you can save a ton of $$$ and just wire them up to a momentary DPDT switch and rock on with mirrors that fold with more control than factory. Thats what I'm doing when mine arrive next week. Hope that helps:happy107:

Who were you able to find that can add the LER sales code to an Express? OBD Genie is currently working on a genie tool to add the code then unless something drastic has changed dealers are not able to add this code to the Express or Tradesman. I wired mine to two mini switches just like you described a long time ago they work great. I did a write-up on it in the 4th gen DIY section. I mounted the two mini switches in my door panel that control each mirror separately if I chose too.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mike Toler dealership service department told me they can add the code to my truck if they install the modules and the switch. I'm going the route of switches. Thinking of putting mine in the no frills overhead panel I have . How did you cut your plastic? Xacto knife is what I'm planning on using but want it to be very clean and look OEM...sorry to thread jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In most cases the dealers are not aware they cannot add the code until the try. It will not be on your options list. The only way to add it the code is to contact W.I.C (Warranty Information Center) and see if they will add it to your Vin which is nearly impossible to do. I have seen several people buy all of the components thinking they can add the code only to find the dealer actually cannot. Hopefully OBD Genie will come up with the tool to add the code for those who want to install the factory setup. As far as cutting the holes I used an exacto knife and a drimmel tool. Honestly the hardest part is routing the wires through the drivers side door harness with the parking brake in the way. Since your truck seems to be pretty basic you may have more room for wiring than I did. The wires you want to tap into on the mirror are the light blue wire and the yellow wire in the black mirror plug. I just wired a six pole mini swith for reverse polarity just like you were considering and they work great. They have been installed in my truck for over a year and I use them every time I drive the truck. I also installed Big Horn door panels so you will need to figure out where the switches work best for you with your door panels.

Attachments

• 20151026_221515.jpg
    20151026_221515.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20151026_221649.jpg
    20151026_221649.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 20151024_135650.jpg
    20151024_135650.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20160416_180453.jpg
    20160416_180453.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 83

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man that stinks about the dealers being so clueless on what they can and can't do[emoji849]. And no drama at all, I'm all about getting the right information. Those big horn door panels look great and the switches blend in perfectly. Whenever my mirrors and switches show up I'll throw some pics up where I end up mounting them.

OP
OP
dtlasic

dtlasic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great Information

Looks like what I'd try to do is a standalone system utilizing the mirror switch I saw for folding the mirrors. Then use a double relay system as with the door locks for open and fold. Even considered finding a mirror switch that I could mount on the dash if I am ambitious enough to attempt power adjustment.

I believe that with a power supply to that switch and identifying which wires control what direction of the mirrors, I could wire a non RAM switch to do the job. I think I'll look for a switch that incorporates the folding so that I don't have too many add on switches in the interior. I want to keep a very clean look. This will eliminate any dealer involvement.

Getting more wires into the door jamb is probably one of the more difficult tasks.

My climate here is good so I'd not be concerned trying to heat the mirrors.

I sure appreciate this feedback on this. Your input is extremely helpful.:favorites13:

OP
OP
dtlasic

dtlasic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Who were you able to find that can add the LER sales code to an Express? OBD Genie is currently working on a genie tool to add the code then unless something drastic has changed dealers are not able to add this code to the Express or Tradesman. I wired mine to two mini switches just like you described a long time ago they work great. I did a write-up on it in the 4th gen DIY section. I mounted the two mini switches in my door panel that control each mirror separately if I chose too.

Thanks, RicksRAM. I'll search for your write up.

OP
OP
dtlasic

dtlasic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I found your write up. Great job. Like where you out the switches. Very helpful.

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck fellas! Hope it works out for you both... as for running the wires ... the issue is the drivers side door, as Rick mentioned.... it's a PITA! Took mine to a stereo shop, had them run the wires into that door for me. Think they charged me $47 and it's well worth it.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good luck fellas! Hope it works out for you both... as for running the wires ... the issue is the drivers side door, as Rick mentioned.... it's a PITA! Took mine to a stereo shop, had them run the wires into that door for me. Think they charged me $47 and it's well worth it.

Haha. I love a challenge. Lol. Seriously though I may tap into the wiring down inside the cab to avoid running through the door loom. (Not sure if this is possible yet as I haven't looked at any schematics or traced the wires in the truck yet) But if not I have a fish tape and plenty of experience with wiring[emoji106][emoji16]

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only way not to have to run wiring into the door on the drivers side would be to tap into power in the drivers door assuming you have power there and mount a switch in the drivers door panel . You would still need to run the wiring through the passenger side door harness to a switch you could reach while driving. The passenger side is much easier to run the wires through. I would recommend running the wiring for both mirrors to the drivers door panel and mount the switches together. It is a lot more work but makes for a clean install that anyone would think was factory if they didn't know any different.

tripleplay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been trying for a year to get a dealer to add the LER code - it's just not worth their "time" to help out their customers is the only thing I've come up with.
I've given them exact instructions.. they just don't really care.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quick question for those with power fold mirrors, can you still fold them in manually if needed??? I have standard mirrors and wanted to add mirrors with turn signals and puddle lights. I found a set but they are also power fold... I don't really have a need for that option.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Quick question for those with power fold mirrors, can you still fold them in manually if needed??? I have standard mirrors and wanted to add mirrors with turn signals and puddle lights. I found a set but they are also power fold... I don't really have a need for that option.

Yes

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only way not to have to run wiring into the door on the drivers side would be to tap into power in the drivers door assuming you have power there and mount a switch in the drivers door panel . You would still need to run the wiring through the passenger side door harness to a switch you could reach while driving. The passenger side is much easier to run the wires through. I would recommend running the wiring for both mirrors to the drivers door panel and mount the switches together. It is a lot more work but makes for a clean install that anyone would think was factory if they didn't know any different.

That's my question to you since you have already tackled this mod. Do the blue and yellow wires from the mirrors make it back into the cab down by the kick panels on each side , or do they only run straight from the mirror to the OEM switch? Did you leave yours plugged in to the OEM connections at the door and then tap the wires? I'm planning on running my power to both switches as you described but mine are going to be mounted either in my no frills overhead panel or somewhere else on the dash area, not on my door panels. I have the basic Express doors so no real place to put them without it looking tacky. So my signal wires would be pretty easy to run if I left the mirrors plugged in and just spliced into the blue and yellow after they have entered the cab...if that makes sense. Sometimes I don't do such a great job at explaining but it makes sense in head lol.