Power Side Mirrors Add On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's my question to you since you have already tackled this mod. Do the blue and yellow wires from the mirrors make it back into the cab down by the kick panels on each side , or do they only run straight from the mirror to the OEM switch? Did you leave yours plugged in to the OEM connections at the door and then tap the wires? I'm planning on running my power to both switches as you described but mine are going to be mounted either in my no frills overhead panel or somewhere else on the dash area, not on my door panels. I have the basic Express doors so no real place to put them without it looking tacky. So my signal wires would be pretty easy to run if I left the mirrors plugged in and just spliced into the blue and yellow after they have entered the cab...if that makes sense. Sometimes I don't do such a great job at explaining but it makes sense in head lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I recall correctly, the wires run from the mirror to the oem plug in the door
I looked at my old Express door panels only place you could put them is the little cubby in front of the door lock button
If you are going to put them in your overhead...you are going to have to run the wires up your A pilars, drop the headliner some, really shouldn't be that hard. I had to do that when I added my home link and again when I added my illuminated sun visors.
With the drivers side door...the real issue is running the wire through the white plastic case that all the wires go thorough.... door locks, windows for all 4 doors...there is literally no room to get a new wire through it...I tried like a stubborn teenager! ...it has to be removed and a hole drilled into it, to make room for any new wires...then the next issue is the parking brake...my hands were small enough to get to the wires ...but it was a mute point.
Should also add that Rick and I both added a fuse box under the drivers seat, ran a positive wire through the fire wall for power , and used the existing ground mount, by your left foot on the drivers side, behind the kick plate.

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's my question to you since you have already tackled this mod. Do the blue and yellow wires from the mirrors make it back into the cab down by the kick panels on each side , or do they only run straight from the mirror to the OEM switch?

The two wires connect to the black mirror plug that connects to the door control module located in the door. You will need cut the mirror wires and run them through your door harness. There is no other way to get power to them if you mount your switches in your overhead.

Last edited:

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rick and maize, thanks for all the info. I def feel better prepared to tackle this when my mirrors and switches arrive next week. I plan on installing a fusible link on my power wire vice a PDP under the seat. Still undecided on the mounting place yet but when I do get everything installed I'll throw some pics up here .

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wait til Rick talks you into adding the power slide rear window lol ... that's a fun one!

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just wait til Rick talks you into adding the power slide rear window lol ... that's a fun one!

Lol. I'm good without the rear window...my next mod after this is a set of TYC projectors I have on the way and an HID kit from JJ. Looking at prob matching the foggies with the retro'd ones he sells with the casings painted gloss black...I feel like Ram stole my vision of what my Express is gonna end up like with the 17 Night Edition. Lol.

OP
OP
dtlasic

dtlasic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Progress

I've acquired a pair of 2016 power folding mirrors for my RAM. I also obtained the DPDT 30 amp switch from Amazon. Now I see that these mirrors have different color wires from what was described here earlier in this thread. I've searched for, and I think I found the right wiring schematic for my '16 RAM and it seems to show the Red & Black wires used for the power fold operation. Can anyone here confirm that, please?

My mirrors have the wiring colors I've listed below:

LH mirror 68147863AJ (2 black; 1 red; 1 blue; 1 purple; 1 white)
RH mirror 68147862AJ (2 black; 1 red; 1 blue; 1 purple)

I've also found You Tube videos from 1AAuto Parts showing installation that I think is useful. You may also.

https://youtu.be/sVgU-jFsOOI
https://youtu.be/c2l5YCSgOUE

Now, I'm not planning to wire up the mirror adjustment features. I would need to find a suitable switch, connector and wire this up independently from the BCM. Possible as the mirror utilizes reversing polarity switching to control the up & down motor and the left and right motor. I think I'll consider that at a later date.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's a power folding mirror it should have two separate plugs. A white plug and a black plug and alot more wires than your describing. All of the factory power folding mirrors I have seen have the two power fold wires in the Black plug and they are light blue and yellow. If you have one plug with the color wires you mentioned I would guess it's a power adjustable mirror but not a power folding mirror.

Attachments

• 20160416_180602.jpg
    20160416_180602.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The set I picked up was a used one from 1A auto. An older part number but it does have both connectors as well. The drivers side has 2 with the black one containing the yellow and blue wires but the passenger side does not. There is a small QD connector with a green and yellow wire on that side that connects to the black plug, I'm gonna assume that's the correct wiring for the mirrors. Going to run a few meter checks first to confirm

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I
With the drivers side door...the real issue is running the wire through the white plastic case that all the wires go thorough.... door locks, windows for all 4 doors...there is literally no room to get a new wire through it...I tried like a stubborn teenager! ...it has to be removed and a hole drilled into it, to make room for any new wires...then the next issue is the parking brake...my hands were small enough to get to the wires ...but it was a mute point.

Well I went ahead and ran the signal wires yesterday from my mirrors to the overhead. Really wasn't hard at all. When you tried to do yours did you remove the 2 T20 torx screws and release the door jamb connectors? When I did that it literally took 30 seconds to pass the wire through lol. Hardest part was freeing the plastic connector holder on the body. Now I'm just waiting on my new overhead with the sliding rear window switch and homelink buttons to get here to finish the install[emoji106]
a20cf51110bab0f1c43d5700beb9a51d.jpg
e884e83c60cb96037188f2ff2535678f.jpg
fd094a67cb1e6712e4d0d1e88b12c41a.jpg
d8299b0fed8c265b145527b76f4e2fcf.jpg
28e7971f086702e412544e9c7ba054e4.jpg

And yes I used trailer wiring bc it made life easier lol. Only had to run the wire once instead of two individual wires.

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great job!!!.... I didn't have any room to run any new wires. I watched the guy take that part out at the stereo shop, and he drilled a hole to run the wires, not sure exactly how ya did it... but looks great, well done!!

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks man. Gonna post it all up as an updated DIY...with credit to you and Rick of course . Just waiting on my panel to get here...stay tuned lol.

OP
OP
dtlasic

dtlasic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it's a power folding mirror it should have two separate plugs. A white plug and a black plug and alot more wires than your describing. All of the factory power folding mirrors I have seen have the two power fold wires in the Black plug and they are light blue and yellow. If you have one plug with the color wires you mentioned I would guess it's a power adjustable mirror but not a power folding mirror.

Once again, so glad I posted this and asked. Of course, you're right. The mirrors I was looking at did not do the power fold even though the eBay seller insisted along with 1aauto.com that the part numbers I provided had that feature.

I've bought new Kool Vue aftermarket that are power, heated, have the puddle lights, and do power fold and have the tow connector plugs as you have described with the appropriate wire colors.

Saved me from going down the very wrong path. THANK YOU FORUM!!

Especially here: Rick's Ram. You have really saved my bacon.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad you caught it before you started your project. That is what this forum is for. I have seen a lot mirrors listed on eBay incorrectly. I know you said your truck was pretty basic but remember if your truck shows the outside temperature in your speedometer you need to make sure you get mirrors for a 13 or newer as the temp sensor is in the drivers side mirror.

Last edited:

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Once again, so glad I posted this and asked. Of course, you're right. The mirrors I was looking at did not do the power fold even though the eBay seller insisted along with 1aauto.com that the part numbers I provided had that feature.

I've bought new Kool Vue aftermarket that are power, heated, have the puddle lights, and do power fold and have the tow connector plugs as you have described with the appropriate wire colors.

Saved me from going down the very wrong path. THANK YOU FORUM!!

Especially here: Rick's Ram. You have really saved my bacon.

Got mine all done. Check out the DIY I threw up on the board. Should help clarify things