Power Wagon Lemon/Buyback thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Melo23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I currently in the market to buy a used Power Wagon. I found a 2016 PW with 18k mi. with a 36k asking price. The truck looks clean throughout with the expectation of the branded title.
Reason provided by Manufacturer:
Rear differential locks up on turns and vehicle
vibrates
Transfer case switch issues
Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve issues.
I was sent all the paperwork verifying that the issues were repaired and it comes with the remaining warranty from original sale. 6yr 60,000mi. limited and 3yr 30,000 plus a 1yr unlimited mi. warranty. Only thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated and are these common problems that anyone has experienced for this model year?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it was fixed to the owners satisfaction then why was it a buyback?

I would run away from that deal as fast as you can

scoutpappa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 dodge power wagon
Engine
Ask them to extend the limited warranty and go with it. New chunk in the rear end, new TC switch and if this was a diesel you could look at more than one EGR issue and all appear to be replaced. Now if all the plastic is coming unstuck...

OP
OP
M

Melo23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
If it was fixed to the owners satisfaction then why was it a buyback?

I would run away from that deal as fast as you can

That was my thinking as well and I have done some research on the buyback/lemon vehicles. I know some people create issues so the dealer will but it back due to not being able to afford it so that's a possibility but also a higher possibility that was not the case.

OP
OP
M

Melo23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
According to the paperwork the rear differential case was replaced. TC switch replaced as well as the EGR before it was sold at auction to the current dealership.

scoutpappa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 dodge power wagon
Engine
What exactly are we looking at? Is this a fully loaded model?

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What exactly are we looking at? Is this a fully loaded model?
Yes, I agree. Trim line is very relative as is sets a baseline of the savings over a 'non-branded' equivalent.

Personally, I would categorize a manufacturer's buyback with a traditional red 'salvage/rebuilt' title. Because you're still buying that truck at $36K, will it be more difficult to unload someday with 'lemon-law' on the carfax. To me, saving a few dollars isn't worth the risk.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
hmm, maybe see how much they can come down on in price? The warranty stuff is okay and all, but getting them to follow through with stuff may prove troublesome.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
No, no ******* way. I wouldn’t even let my ****y ex wife buy that Lemmoned truck, maybe if it was 10k but not worth it for 36k!

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
have them give you a maxcare LIFETIME warranty and drive it into the ground

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you do decide to check it out further I would drive the hell out of it for at least 50 miles at all speeds and on all types of road surfaces. When I switched to Ram back in 2015 I took my Laramie on a 40 mile trip to work by taking my usual backroads there and the freeway home and I drove it as fast as I could get away with to make damn good and sure it wasn't going to be a vibrating POS like my Silverado was. If the dealer won't let you do something like that I would pass right then and there.

OP
OP
M

Melo23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Appreciate all responses. From the just of things it seem like i shoukd stay away from this truck and wait for a better opportunity to present itself. At the end of the day it's only a few thousand I'd be saving with a hell of a lot of uncertainty.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Can't answer the common problem question. But,,,original dealer sold at auction and another dealer bought. Issues with vehicle were so severe that it met the lemon law buyback requirements. Price and warranty is not compelling enough for me to take that risk. POV, juice is not worth the squeeze.