Power Wagon trust on long not maintained roads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
How much do you trust your Power Wagon out on a long (50 miles plus) deserted not maintained road or 4x4 trail?

Around our stomping ground within the Intermountain West there are warning signs posted near the entrances on some of the less traveled roads stating, "No winter maintenance, Impassable when wet". The dates posted for the no road maintenance are as long as from October 1 through June 1. Additional warnings may also include Severe drifting makes road impassable, Travel at your own risk, Travel beyond this point is not recommended, Carry winter survivor gear, and If you must travel this road then tell someone where you are going. Basically these road signs are just politely hinting to you that if you mess up, you may not survive.

These are the type of road signs that my wife and I enjoy seeing the backside of within our rearview mirror during the winter seasons with our Power Wagon. We both trust it in getting us out of even after some extensive 4x4 travelling while crossing icy mud bogs and deep winter drifts. Cellphone coverage is normally nonexistent and we have seldom seen another person ever, even when camping right off of the main road.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would take my power wagon to the top of a mountain unmainted if I could find one I can legally drive. Ive had no reason not to trust it. My transmission shifting 2-1 every now and then makes me wonder what the heck its doing as it slams down but off road, this truck has never let me down.

In the horrible situation you are explaining, I would be darn sure I have it in 4x4 with maybe the rear locked if its loose enough, not the front or center because it will cause you to push through corners instead of steering, as well tires! Tires will either kill you or save you but with my Terra Grapplers I would tackle it!

The power wagon was designed exactly for what you are describing. Make sure the tires are right, make sure the winch works, make sure you have recovery gear and have fun!

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Go for it. always keep an eye for the last turn around spot to back down to. On a trip to Powell point UT, off season, had to remove downed trees across the trail,Icy and snowy, saw no other vehicles or tracks for miles. Be prepared as above, scary fun.

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Google map Slough Canyon, Utah near the Desolation Canyon. That's about as remote as one can drive within the lower 48. I haven't done it yet with the Power Wagon, but plan to.

Update...Never mind due to the land on the east river side of Desolation Canyon resides on an Indian reservation. Access is restricted.

Last edited:

scoutpappa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 dodge power wagon
Engine
Did a few 30 mile + unmaintained trails in Big Bend (including Old Ore) which meant 4Hi, 4Lo and locked both ends in the canyon. Looking at 6 ish hours with kids and a dog with the ac running and the edgestar in the back jamming satellite radio. It is the most comfortable rock climber I own. This was also after towing a Flagstaff 625D 12 hours there, ran two days of trails in 4wd, ran the rest of the park on the maintained roads, then drove home. Only thing I can't even qualify as an issue is stopping when you're in 4Lo with both ends locked, it's a beast to stop rolling then.

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
It's nice to know that Old Ore allows visitors to take their.dog(s) along. It makes it much easier to be able to take a trip down to Big Bend someday from Colorado and explore its backcountry.

There's quite popular 4x4 trails within the Canyonlands and the Capital Reef National Parks around Moab, Utah which is within 2 hours from my home. Since pets are not allowed within the backcountry, even in a vehicle or boat, it's been quite awhile since I have explored them.

Within the same Colorado Plateau terrain though there's the McInnis Canyons National Conservation Area, the San Rafael Swell, Bear Ears National Monument, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, and the Domiguez-Escalante National Conservation Area. All are much more dog friendly and much of these areas are extremely isolated. That's where my family explores deep into the high desert backcountry with both our Power Wagon and powerboat. Trust in your Power Wagon to get you both in and out is a plus.

Last edited:

scoutpappa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 dodge power wagon
Engine
They can be in the vehicle, but they are not allowed on hiking trails. Having an older boxer does make trips interesting as we have to be sure of where she can go and when. More and more pets are being disallowed. Can't imagine why.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It sounds like I live right in the middle of many of the areas you speak of. There are plenty of 'Roads' out here that can be about 80 miles long (one way), with no services of any kind, no reception and little, if any traffic at all. And in this area, the weather changes about every 15 minutes, which can sometimes cause a delay that lasts 20 minutes while rising flash flooded streams subside, to literally days waiting for mud to dry or snow to melt (or both)!

My PW gives me my best odds at getting where I want, or need to go, but there are places NO vehicle can handle. *I own Two Power Wagons, a lifted Rubicon Unlimited on 35's, AND a Military HumVee. My 2013 Power Wagon would be my first choice the way things sit.

Deep snow can be difficult - ice really, and ultra fine, dry sand can be difficult, but oddly enough, it is the odd, thick, slippery instantly forming mud is what is gets most people.

It can go from a smooth, marked road capable of being easily handled in any FWD Rental Car, into a impassible mess that even the most severely modified and capable machine in the blink of an eye.

Best plan is to be well prepared mechanically as well as mentally, be experienced and carry the proper supplies.

When going out alone (which I do often) is to know how to use what you have. First level is 2WD, second would be 4WD, then the lockers, then the Winch as a last resort. Of course, just keep airing down until you get the results you want or need.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All that isn't to say that I shamefully have to admit being forced to leave my near new Power Wagon sitting on it's frame over night stuck in the mud on the bank of the San Juan River upstream of the little town of Mexican Hat - on Thanksgiving Evening, with a full load of family, all with my camp some 50 miles away back near Monument Valley. That is a long story for another time.

But, the "Smokey Mountain Scenic Byway" Route 12 - BLM # 330, "Cottonwood Canyon", "House Rock Road" any time there are clouds on the Horizon, or even running Hwy 67 from the Jacob Lake down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in the winter can be truly sketchy.

I reside near Big Water, UT and I can't tell you how many Hikers and people (Tourists and Locals alike in everything from Economical Rental Cars, to well modded 'real' Four Wheel Drive vehicles.) I have had to pull out, rescue and offer either food, water, shelter or heat to in just the last 5 years. It is amazing more people don't die out here. ...and I am talking in plain sight, on a well marked and mapped out 'Road'.

Funny, I don't know if people are just ignorant, head strong defiant to advice, or just simply innocently and completely uninformed. There is a huge difference between a 'AWD' CrossOver SUV vs. a true Four Wheel Drive Vehicle, even if bone stock on street tires.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
dang, in for the stuck mud story!

All that isn't to say that I shamefully have to admit being forced to leave my near new Power Wagon sitting on it's frame over night stuck in the mud on the bank of the San Juan River upstream of the little town of Mexican Hat - on Thanksgiving Evening, with a full load of family, all with my camp some 50 miles away back near Monument Valley. That is a long story for another time.

But, the "Smokey Mountain Scenic Byway" Route 12 - BLM # 330, "Cottonwood Canyon", "House Rock Road" any time there are clouds on the Horizon, or even running Hwy 67 from the Jacob Lake down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in the winter can be truly sketchy.

I reside near Big Water, UT and I can't tell you how many Hikers and people (Tourists and Locals alike in everything from Economical Rental Cars, to well modded 'real' Four Wheel Drive vehicles.) I have had to pull out, rescue and offer either food, water, shelter or heat to in just the last 5 years. It is amazing more people don't die out here. ...and I am talking in plain sight, on a well marked and mapped out 'Road'.

Funny, I don't know if people are just ignorant, head strong defiant to advice, or just simply innocently and completely uninformed. There is a huge difference between a 'AWD' CrossOver SUV vs. a true Four Wheel Drive Vehicle, even if bone stock on street tires.

scoutpappa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 dodge power wagon
Engine
I forgot to add the 5 gallon jerry can of mid grade. ;)

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Extra gasoline is always a plus even when you get back to the highway out in the middle of nowhere anywhere special. Carried 5 gallons of 87 octane (mid grade here) on a long trip today while towing a fully loaded enclosed 6 x 12 foot Uhaul trailer with 5 x 6 foot steel gate welded fencing somewhere within the Great Divide Basin. Nearest town was a quite distant Baggs, Wyoming. Even at 70 mph the Power Wagon average highway speed and with much slower remote dirt road speeds it still got 12.7 mpg with today's 520 mile trip. All done with the tow haul mode on. Never got below 1/4 tank when I got back to the nearest gasoline station due to the good towing gas mileage of my 2016 Power Wagon. I learned to keep the speed at or under 70 mph to save fuel. No worries due to having extra fuel along. Quite impressed with the mpg.

Last edited:

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I tow my camper, it's usually from low elevation in Tucson ~2400' to my favorite spot close to 8000'. It's about a six hour drive uphill and remote through most stretches. I have my refuel stops pretty well mapped out but always carry extra gas. If I'm heading into a strong headwind, the mpg's get way worse than they already are. One thing I've learned when towing is to never pass gas.

Vicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I wouldn't hesitate with my 16 Wagon. Took mine on the Richlands Road (not a road) here in North Carolina. 5 hours in 1-2 low range. Only thing back in those woods was ragged out jeeps and 4 wheelers. Big rocks and streams to cross. Needed both ends locked, stab disconnected and low tire pressure. Fun day!
Mileage was around 9 when I got out.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What he said. Hopefully with photos and video. ;)

I'll have to dig out the few pics I have of the stunt where I really buried it a couple years back, on Thanksgiving out in Mexican Hat, UT. on the shoreline of the San Juan River and had to leave it over night.

I do have a slide show type vid of some crummy footage of my son sticking our first (stock) Rubicon Unlimited, then my daughter coming to the rescue, sinking the Power Wagon right out near the house after a Flash Flood swamped the Nipple Creek crossing on the southern start of Utah's Smokey Mountain Road.

Eventually I managed to winch them both free, thus was too busy (and it got dark) to get any good video, so this will have to do.

On the 'down side', in the process of all the spinning, side loading and grinding around hub deep in all the river bed pebbles, rocks, sand and mud, the original stock wheels were trashed. It just ate the clear coat off the outer faces and scratched up the machined aluminum something terrible.

On the 'Up Side', it gave me a good excuse to purchase the new Teflon Coated Wheels and wider tires!

KIMG0148.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock