Power Wagon vs reg 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Regular 2500 and PW have the exact same frame except that the PW frame has extra cross member and skid plates.

Kind of. The PW frame is based off of a Ram 2500 but it is not the same. As mentioned, the track bar mount is different. The PW does not have the mounting points for the underbed gooseneck nor is the bed stamped. The front track bar itself is different too. PW have manual transfer cases, full size matching Duratrack (current models) spare tire, and the axle housings are ported for the electronic locking diff connections.

Fingers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can't start with a regular 2500 and add the "Power Wagon" stuff.

Uhh, yes you can. You can add the Power Wagon option for about $8000 unless you have the diesel. They don't go together.

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Regular 2500 and PW have the exact same frame except that the PW frame has extra cross member and skid plates.

You cant add the winch to a regular 2500 6.4L because the winch mount won't fit because the frame is different.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
For more off road tire flexing the new Power Wagons are also equipped with 33 inch load range D (285 75R17) Duratrac tires versus the aftermarket 35 inch load range E tires that my son's 2014 Ram 2500 diesel has (285 75R18) on it. His came stock with 275 70R18 load range E tires. His can handle double my maximum weight capacity easily whereas mine wants to wander around on cornering under the maximum. Mine out does his off road though without a question.

What load range D tires meant for me yesterday with my Power Wagon filled with the purchase of 33 forty pound bags of wood pellets evenly displaced in the bed under an approximately 200 pound topper is that the truck was near its maximum load rating of around 1,510 pounds. My 1998 K1500 on E rated 265 75R16 Duratrac tires with the same load still handles good although it is equipped with overload leaf springs to help out. The Power Wagon handled yesterday under the full load around our Colorado mountain corners like a small boat rolling on the high seas.

My next tire purchase will be the Duratrac load range E tires in either 295 70R17 or the 35x12.5x17. The truck is just too heavy for load range D tires when it is at maximum load for good handling. That's my observation. My best advice is to go much slower when its loaded at the maximum.

Last edited: