Power window troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BarryK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter 4x4
Hi all,

I have a problem with the driver's side window. The window went all of the way down but would not move up at all. I took the door panel off, disconnected the harness from the switch. I turned on power and the window came all of the way up normally. Now it will not go down at all (fully closed position).

The passenger's window works normally from the drivers switch or the passenger's switch.

How can I troubleshoot this?

Thank so much for the help!

Barry
1998 Quad Cab 4x4

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,

I have a problem with the driver's side window. The window went all of the way down but would not move up at all. I took the door panel off, disconnected the harness from the switch. I turned on power and the window came all of the way up normally. Now it will not go down at all (fully closed position).

The passenger's window works normally from the drivers switch or the passenger's switch.

How can I troubleshoot this?

Thank so much for the help!

Barry
1998 Quad Cab 4x4

Do you have sound coming from the door when you press the switch? ( is the motor trying?) if so bad motor, no sound check for power at the switch and go from there wiring issue or a relay if there are any for the power windows. If you have power at the switch but nothings happening could be the switch i suppose but never heard of that happening.

Last edited:

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
How did the window come up with the switch unplugged ?

OP
OP
B

BarryK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter 4x4
Sorry, disconnected and reconnected it. Then it worked one time only. It went up but would not go down. I will take panel off again and check switch and wiring with voltage/continuity tester. Not sure exactly what to test but I will do my best.

The motor sounds fine when it runs (not laboring), no sound at all when the switch is not working.

We were leaving for a trip when I had the panel off last week, so I just put the window up and put the panel back on. Not much time to troubleshoot at that point.

ralphdees

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6 engine
If the motor seems to be fine, the problem may be the fuse? You'd probably need to check your truck manual to locate this if you're not familiar with it.

I looked this up when I had trouble with my passenger side window, might help you too. Hope you get em fixed.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would try hooking up 12 volts directly to motor to see if it operates. If so, the motor is good. Then, check switch, wiring, connectors, relay fuses, etc.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had a 1998 Chevy Tracker and the window switch went bad. I replaced it with a used one from eBay for about $10

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
replace your drivers side switch, I suspect it's faulty

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
What you may need to do is break down the switch box and clean the contacts. Sounds like you've got some build up blocking full contact when you hit the switch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk