Probs with changing to "4Low" with my 1500 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suckingspider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi!

In 2008 I bought my lovely RAM 1500 5.9 4x4 and what should I say? I often used the 4WD, but only in "4H" and never in "4Low". This sounds strange, but I never needed it before. But yesterday I tried to use it and it didn't work, what means that I could not switch from "2H" into "4Low", because the gearchange "stucks" somehow. To change and drive to/with "4H" is quite good and works absolutely ok (so changing from "2H" into "4H" and back is perfect; no strange sounds, no difficulties). I tried nearly everything: with and w/o running engine, gearshift to "N" and "D". Nothing.

It seems that that the "4Low" is kind of blocked.

Now my question: Does any "trick" exist or is this a technical failure or am I just an idiot?

Sorry for my bad English and thx for your help in advance!

Greets from Sweden

Alf

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Dumb question where you stopped and on level ground when trying to go into 4lo? You can shift on the fly into 4hi but 4lo you need to be stopped to get it to drop in.

OP
OP
S

suckingspider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not a dumb question! But: Yes, it was stopped and I knew that. Further suggestions?

4.7Ram5.7Rango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex
In my experiences, the vehicle has to be slightly rolling backwards to get it OUT of 4lo (old Chevy pickups, old Cherokees), maybe try that once to get it in? You've already tried what else I would say, put it in N at a complete stop...... Hope you figure it out!

BTW......... Welcome to the forum, and your English is better than a lot of Americans!

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Did you drop into Neutral before attempting to go into 4Low? Did your 4WD indicator light start flashing? Did your Service 4WD light start flashing?

2WD or 4 AUTO or 4 LOCK , 4WD LOW
NOTE: When shifting into or out of 4WD LOW some gear noise may be heard. This noise is normal and is not detrimental to the vehicle or occupants. Shifting can be performed with the vehicle rolling 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h) or completely stopped. USE EITHER OF THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES:

Preferred Procedure
1. With engine RUNNING, slow vehicle to 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h).
2. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL (depress clutch on manual transmissions).
3. While still rolling, rotate the transfer case control switch to the desired position.
4. After the desired position indicator light is ON (not flashing), shift transmission back into gear (release clutch on manual transmissions).

Alternate Procedure
1. Bring the vehicle to complete stop.
2. With the key ON and the engine either OFF or RUNNING, shift the transmission into NEUTRAL (depress clutch on manual transmissions).
3. Rotate the transfer case control switch to the desired position
4. After the desired position indicator light is ON (not flashing), shift transmission back into gear (release clutch on manual transmissions).

NOTE: If steps 1 or 2 of either the Preferred or Alternate Procedure are not satisfied prior to attempting the shift or if they no longer are being met while the shift attempt is in process then the desired position indicator light will flash continuously while the original position indicator light is ON, until all requirements have been met.

NOTE: The ignition key must be ON for a shift to take place and for the position indicator lights to be operable. If the key is not ON then the shift will not take place and no position indicator lights will be on or flashing.

If you don't have the US owners manual (where all the above came from) Click the link in my signature and download a PDF version for your records. Lots of really good info in there.

OP
OP
S

suckingspider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@lilfroger: Thank you so much. I gonna try both procedures tomorrow!

Cheers, Alf.

Last edited:

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Jo to the Rescue again. Dang Girl you go!! lol