Projector/Led Tail LIght issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramalamadingdong

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Big Horn
Engine
hemi 5.7
I recently purchased OEM Projectors and Tail Lights as well as the Retro Shop adapters. Everything was working fine until I got the Parking Light Out message. Initially it was just the front driver side, where the LED parking light would go out but the blinker, etc would still function. I spoke with Retro shop and they are sending me additional resistors to alleviate the problem. Now today I got the same message but the rear driver side parking light was out, again everything working otherwise. Retro has been super helpful and not complaining about them in any way. I'm just curious if anyone has had this issue before as I can't seem to find too much about this? Thanks

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
I had the same issue. Jeremy sent a stronger resistor, and no problems since then. Also, make sure your grounds are REAL good.

OP
OP
R

ramalamadingdong

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Big Horn
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah he has been really helpful with this. Are there grounds with the new resistors? The adapters were plug and play so I did not have to ground anything.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
for some reason some trucks are more sensitive than others, my 13, my 14 and my dads 17 dont even tell you anything about the parking lights, when other trucks will tell you about every bulb on your truck

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
The new ones don't, all plug and play

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
having this exact same problem now...

my cluster doesn't tell me there is a problem, but I will get flagged and told that my running lamp is out at night. usually its the passenger side one that it happens to, but I flipped the harness to the driver side in an attempt to diagnose, and it happened there too. so now it happens on both sides.

jeremy sent me another resistor to wire inline, but it doesn't seem to have done anything. this pic is taken after the resistors were installed and intended to fix. I hate it, but I might be selling and going a different route.

i-MGH7Shj-L.jpg

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
So I have never been a fan of using resistors. Adding something to my truck that gets hot enough to melt plastic is never good. So what I did was when I changed over to led bulbs, I picked up 3157 bulb sockets with the pigtails and tapped into the stock harness. This allowed me to keep the regular bulb, which would keep the computer happy, and still let me use leds. I did this on each corner (brake and turn). My reverse lights never tripped anything. It might be different since you went with a whole new housing, but might be something to think about.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
So I have never been a fan of using resistors. Adding something to my truck that gets hot enough to melt plastic is never good. So what I did was when I changed over to led bulbs, I picked up 3157 bulb sockets with the pigtails and tapped into the stock harness. This allowed me to keep the regular bulb, which would keep the computer happy, and still let me use leds. I did this on each corner (brake and turn). My reverse lights never tripped anything. It might be different since you went with a whole new housing, but might be something to think about.

basically you did the same thing resistors do, those light bulbs can get hot enough to melt plastic just like a resistor, you virtually did the exact same thing but yours have the ability to burn out unlike resistors.

resistors are great, and they will only melt something when not installed properly, ive never had mine melt anything on my truck

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6

Photo0030.jpg

this was my 3rd brake light from leaving my cargo light on, and if you look at the inside of a lot of tail lights, the housing deforms from the heat of the bulb, so like i said you are doing the same thing as a resistor but yours will burn out much faster than a resistor will fail

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Ouch! ^^^

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drilled a small hole inside the taillight stamp for the bed and mounted the resistor on the metal. no heat issues yet. I do have the odd malfunction though.