Pulled breather cap and it looks like char

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bozeblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pulled my breather cap on my valve cover and it looks like a bunch of char like a burnt marshmallow in side. What is going on? 1986 Dodge power ram 318

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Typically this is caused by condensation that gathers under the cap, mixes with the residual oil there and emulsifies into the creamy goo you see under your oil cap. This tends to happen if you drive lots of short trips where the engine never has enough time to properly warm up. It can also happen in very cold climates where the car is driven every day.

OP
OP
bozeblake

bozeblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Typically this is caused by condensation that gathers under the cap, mixes with the residual oil there and emulsifies into the creamy goo you see under your oil cap. This tends to happen if you drive lots of short trips where the engine never has enough time to properly warm up. It can also happen in very cold climates where the car is driven every day.
Will this mess any thing up? should I change oil or something? Just don't like seeing this in the motor
I pulled my breather cap on my valve cover and it looks like a bunch of char like a burnt marshmallow in side. What is going on? 1986 Dodge power ram 318

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if you haven't changed the oil since you bought the truck then it may be a good idea. depending on the temperature where you are i would recommend running shell 15w40 diesel truck oil in it in the summer. should help clean that slug and crap out. next time i pull the valve cover on my 81 i need to get some new pics. i bet they are cleaner now than when i did the valve cover gasket last time since i have been using diesel truck oil. all the cleaning additives in the oil are good for cleaning out the old engines

OP
OP
bozeblake

bozeblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks I will try the 15w40 this summer. I just changed oil to day. 10 w 30 high mileage oil they say it is good for seal's. The 15w40 is it good for seals?

OP
OP
bozeblake

bozeblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you haven't changed the oil since you bought the truck then it may be a good idea. depending on the temperature where you are i would recommend running shell 15w40 diesel truck oil in it in the summer. should help clean that slug and crap out. next time i pull the valve cover on my 81 i need to get some new pics. i bet they are cleaner now than when i did the valve cover gasket last time since i have been using diesel truck oil. all the cleaning additives in the oil are good for cleaning out the old engines
When I looked in the valve cover it looked dry and burnt char. Have you ever seen anything like that?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i don't know if the 15w40 is good for seals or not but it does clean. with these engine if the seals are bad there is really nothing that will fix them other than just straight up replacing them. i think the burnt/dry looking stuff is carbon build up. the 15w40 should help break that stuff down and clean it all out of the engine with the oil changes. i really need some recent shots with my valve covers off but this was from last time. you can see the carbon build up. not a lot but there is some
-GGovBTH-Lr8OB7AzkTx4R9mI9z684UZIjfD5=w851-h638-no.jpg
yYxtBRsvwnr16AzTDalftvOBiqc2lWomjtrqf=w851-h638-no.jpg

OP
OP
bozeblake

bozeblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow that looks good compared to what I got mine looks like there is a burnt up marshmallow on top black crusty dry

OP
OP
bozeblake

bozeblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But engine runs as smooth as a sewing machine

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it really depends on how well the engine was maintained and ran. if you have leaking valve cover gasket you could always try to clean out the rocker arms when you got the valve covers off.

these engines are tough. i think if you start running 15w40 in it in the summer it will probably keep it running for forever. i have heard of some people running 15w40 in their engine since new and everything looked very clean when they pulled the engine apart.