Pulled My Intake Manifold And Found This

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solohopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been having issues with my truck running extremely rough when it is cold. It will shake and hesitate during it's warming up period. I will then get an Audible click and it will then smooth out. I read up on it and although I could never find anything specific, I found that it could have to do with my MDS Solenoids. The codes I was getting were P1521, P0300, and P0301.
I had two different shops rule out the spark plug and coil in cylinder one. They even told me that if it was an injector, the problem would be constant.

So i decided to pull my intake manifold to see what I would find. The pictures below show cylinder one being totally dry and the rest of my cylinders being oily. I don't have much knowledge on engines so I am unsure of which way it should be. From past experiences I didn't think it should be oily but a Hemi seems to have many differences and this may be one of them.

So i am asking for some major HELP here. You will also see a picture of my throttle body. It seems to have excess dirt and buildup on both sides. Is this also abnormal?

And finally, how do you suggest I go about cleaning all of the gunk off everything?

THANKS for reading and giving me your input!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5721.jpg
    IMG_5721.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,162
  • IMG_5724.jpg
    IMG_5724.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,916
  • IMG_5731.jpg
    IMG_5731.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_5732.jpg
    IMG_5732.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_5737.jpg
    IMG_5737.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,902

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel sorry for that throttle body.. CLEAN THAT SUCKER it takes like 5 minutes with some brake cleaner.

And why is there what looks to be a spider in one of the cylinders? Haha

OP
OP
S

Solohopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel sorry for that throttle body.. CLEAN THAT SUCKER it takes like 5 minutes with some brake cleaner.

And why is there what looks to be a spider in one of the cylinders? Haha

Is that gunk just from years of lack of maintenance or do you feel there might be an issue? I have only had the truck a year. Doubt it was cleaned right before I bought it. And I have never done it.
The spider-like item is just some debris from taking the manifold off. I have since vacuumed it all up. But not cleaned the oil and gunk off. Brake cleaner on a rag for that too maybe?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
To me, it looks like gunk build up from a bad PCV valve and a lack of an oil catch can.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To me, it looks like gunk build up from a bad PCV valve and a lack of an oil catch can.

Pcv valve yes.. But disregard the catch can thing, you can't install one on a 3rd gen.

I think brake cleaner on a rag will work, just keep lots of rags handy.

OP
OP
S

Solohopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The PCV valve is new. But it has not been too long ago since I changed it. So it could still be dirty from a precious valve.

Someone mentioned an injector my be staying open in cylinder one which is why it is so clean compared to the others.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
First clean your cylinders up. Although brake cleaner will work it is extremely hard on plastic (might even cause some plastics to break). There is some good throttle body cleaners out there that are not as harsh and will work wonders on the built up gunk. Plenty of rags is a must. As far as the number one injector being stuck open I doubt that, it is more likely it is not working at all. If you can pull it out and have it checked the do so. Better thing is to replace all your injectors with a new set if you can afford it.

The built up gunk is most likely due to lack of proper maintnence on the previous owners part.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
First clean your cylinders up. Although brake cleaner will work it is extremely hard on plastic (might even cause some plastics to break). There is some good throttle body cleaners out there that are not as harsh and will work wonders on the built up gunk. Plenty of rags is a must. As far as the number one injector being stuck open I doubt that, it is more likely it is not working at all. If you can pull it out and have it checked the do so. Better thing is to replace all your injectors with a new set if you can afford it.

The built up gunk is most likely due to lack of proper maintnence on the previous owners part.

Stay away from the chlorinated brake clean. That stuff is horrible! The green cans are pretty tame and won't kill you like the red chlorinated can.

I use the specific cleaners. One for the MAF and one for the TB and intake.

Last edited:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
That's what I've heard about the catch can as well, however:

02-08 Dodge Ram 5.7L Billet Oil Catch Can | UPR

UPR has that can on the wrong hose. If that hose is where the oil was coming from, then the majority of the gunk would be built up on the front of the throttle body. If you look at the OP's pics, all the oil is coming from the back side of the blade. The reason nobody makes a proper catch can setup for the 3rd gens is because they have an internal PCV system. Your best bet is to remove the TB often to keep it clean. I know many guys that run seafoam through the motor once a year as well to clean up the manifold and the parts you cant reach with a rag.

OP
OP
S

Solohopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have ran seafoam through it recently and still had the same issues. I think at this point my best bet is to clean everything up really good and replace the #1 injector. Hopefully that takes care of it. If it does not then ill be back to the drawing board.

Lack of maintenance from the previous owner was mentioned. What sort of maintenance are we talking? Taking the TB off and cleaning on a regular schedule?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Pcv valve yes.. But disregard the catch can thing, you can't install one on a 3rd gen.

I think brake cleaner on a rag will work, just keep lots of rags handy.
Why no catch can? lol All engines have PCV systems and most can use a catch can. That crap on the backside of the TB is oil crap sucked into the intake that spit back up a the TB.
I have ran seafoam through it recently and still had the same issues. I think at this point my best bet is to clean everything up really good and replace the #1 injector. Hopefully that takes care of it. If it does not then ill be back to the drawing board.

Lack of maintenance from the previous owner was mentioned. What sort of maintenance are we talking? Taking the TB off and cleaning on a regular schedule?
I'd be willing to bet the spark plugs and wires need to be replaced as well.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Throw a noid light on the injector for cyl 1 to make sure it's getting signal. If it doesn't flash or stays on constantly you either have a shorted wire in the harness or a bad injector driver in the ECM. If it flashes as it should, test the injector. There should be resistance specs in the FSM for the injector that will let you know if the injector is not firing.

Why no catch can? lol All engines have PCV systems and most can use a catch can. That crap on the backside of the TB is oil crap sucked into the intake that spit back up a the TB.

I'd be willing to bet the spark plugs and wires need to be replaced as well.

Yes but as Matt stated above the 3Rd gens use an internal system, there is nowhere to really put one where it will make a difference.

COP on an 06, no wires to change. Agreed on the plugs

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Throw a noid light on the injector for cyl 1 to make sure it's getting signal. If it doesn't flash or stays on constantly you either have a shorted wire in the harness or a bad injector driver in the ECM. If it flashes as it should, test the injector. There should be resistance specs in the FSM for the injector that will let you know if the injector is not firing.

Yes but as Matt stated above the 3Rd gens use an internal system, there is nowhere to really put one where it will make a difference.

COP on an 06, no wires to change. Agreed on the plugs

Ahh, got it.
I try to help when I can, but not all my knowledge is applicable with 3rd gens. :D

No wires? Awesome. One less thing to replace. lol

:signs8:

HEMIBjörn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh cool nice to know. So it's basically a bogus product.
I will also have to clean my throttle body, because I noticed my old breather hose I just chucked out was filled with sludge, literally soaked through. The previous owner had probably never ever cleaned or changed it... So I can imagine what the TB looks like and I hope that's all there is to it.

To the OP,- how much is the truck normally driven?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Seafoam isn't a bogus product if you use it properly. lol Don't jump to conclusions if you do it right.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
He was referring to the UPR catch can that was linked to earlier. It states that it is for the 3rd gens, but it mounts to the incorrect hose. UPR is known for making a knock off catch can of the real Billet Technologies can. They use cheaper plastic/nylon fittings on most of their cans, their machining is not near as nice, and that listing obviously shows that they are just trying to make a few dollars and not putting the time into proper R&D.

On my 03, I simply put a small $5 breather filter on the hose coming off the oil cap and then plugged the fitting on my intake tube. Cheap and effective.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
He was referring to the UPR catch can that was linked to earlier. It states that it is for the 3rd gens, but it mounts to the incorrect hose. UPR is known for making a knock off catch can of the real Billet Technologies can. They use cheaper plastic/nylon fittings on most of their cans, their machining is not near as nice, and that listing obviously shows that they are just trying to make a few dollars and not putting the time into proper R&D.

On my 03, I simply put a small $5 breather filter on the hose coming off the oil cap and then plugged the fitting on my intake tube. Cheap and effective.

D'OH.

My bad.

:uhoh2:
:pp:

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As I stated in the last thread, the injector is probably your issue. The cleaned out cylinder is from fuel leaking into this cylinder. That's the reason there isn't any carbon build up. A bad injector USUALLY isn't intermitent.

My suggestion, replace the plugs and the bad injector. Don't forget to get whatever injector seals that don't come with the injector.

HEMIBjörn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That is what I've seen done, too. The only thing that worries me is passing emissions, although it is of course a 3 min job to swap the filter out for a solid tube between the oil cap / intake.

And correct, I was not talking about seafoam, I trust the product, but a bit afraid to use it any other way than chucking it in the tank. I feel like it might be a case of if it ain't broke, don't....