Purchasing my first trailor

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Samuelvw1, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Samuelvw1

Samuelvw1 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    V8 Hemi
    I'll be going to either lowes or tractor supply to buy my first trailor to haul my John Deere rideable lawn mower when I get it do I need a license plate on it if so who's responsible is it to get it me or the place I buy it from

Sam
    2016 ram 1500 crew

2. goodguy11

goodguy11 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    HEMI 5.7
    Your responsibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. UrbanKnight

UrbanKnight Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Depends on where you live, here in FL, yes you would need one.

4. Mega-Hemi

Mega-Hemi Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7
    When I bought mine from lowes they signed the title and handed me the paperwork. Wouldn't release the trailer to me until I came back with a plate and registration in hand. That's in NY anyway.

5. 14hemiexpress

14hemiexpress Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Don't buy a trailer from Lowe's or tractor supply they are really expensive. Check local trailer sales places, pj's big Tex ECT pending where you live will determine the plates and registration.

6. RubberFrog

RubberFrog Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins
    Craigslist

ramhornet15 likes this.
  7. reek

reek Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    agree with 14hemiexpress. you'll get a much better and more useable trailer at an actually trailer sales place rather than Lowes or TS. And they'll take care of the DMV paperwork (usually). having said that, if you don't care about going to the DMV and are on a strict budget, then as rubberfrog said, craigslist.

8. spoon059

spoon059 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7 CTD
    It depends upon where you live. Don't trust your DMV to tell you the answer either. I had a small 2500lbs axle 4x8 trailer for many years and paid a registration fee on it. Only after a couple years did I learn that a trailer weight 2500lbs or less and not used to haul a boat, used commercially or used as a recreational vehicle does NOT require registration.

I took the tag off and returned it and hauled it around for another 4 or 5 years before I sold it. Now, registration fees weren't too expensive for such a small trailer... but that's pizza and beer money I wasted for several years!!!

9. avantiguy

avantiguy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi
    I don't know where you are from but here in Michigan, It's a one-time fee of $75 to get a forever plate and they are required on all trailers.

If you're from snow country, look at the aluminum trailers available. They go 50-100% higher than steel but last longer. If you don't tow in winter, steel will be fine.

As far as price, look around like the folks suggested but here in my small corner of the world, TSC has pretty good prices on their smaller trailers particularly when they are on sale.

I purchased my aluminum trailer off Ebay, A trailer mfg in Southern Michigan was using up shorts and built several smaller trailers. An excellent price on a trailer with 3500# axles and 15" trailer tires, so you might try Ebay also.

TSC has their 4X7 for $599 and the 5X8 for $699 which are hard to beat prices around here. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...-floor-utility-trailer-4-ft-x-7-ft-2-000-gvwr

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  10. reek

reek Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    if you do go with one of the TSC or lowes or even harbor freight trailers, I'd say careful with how / what you load on it, watch the bearings and have your welder ready for various repairs or re-enforcements. They're light duty trailers. emphasis on light. having said that, they do cost less than half the price of a 'quality' trailer.

here's a link for a trailer near my area. probably about $1000 or so.

Single Axle Utility Trailers | Pac West Trailers