Question about Bilstein 5100 install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
This is also a great way to do that upgrade. You must have a second vehicle to get to the shop though :)

LOL I though everyone had at least two or at least one good friend with a vehicle. The wife has a Subaru I have Two Ram diesels (a 1500 & a 2500) and a JK..

IMG_1604_1.jpg

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
for sure.. just sayin'

snoty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went through a local shop that I've been going to since 1999 for my 2016 RAM 1500 4X4. They didn't say I couldn't buy my own 5100s from elsewhere, but highly advised me against it since they would not support/warranty any issues. So I paid $145/each (compared to $95 on amazon), 1.5 hrs of labor at $120/hr and $110 alignment. So out the door I paid $580.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
There is something to have a place to go back to for issues. You paid about double what I did, but I have no recourse if I screwed something up.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
My spring compressor was marginal to scary for truck springs so I took my struts to a tire shop that had a safety shielded wall mounted spring compressor. They disassembled the struts and reassembled them in about 20 minutes and charged me $30.00. Also you will definitely need an alignment, the lift changes the suspension's geometry, and puts camber far out of specs.
If I remember when I got to the point of trying to get the strut out I needed to compress the spring a little so I stopped and just never went back.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
you don't need the compressor on the way out. If you disconnect the sway bar links and tie rod ends the strut will come out.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
My full lift install, that was pulling old spacer out, new front spindles, springs, brake lines, bleed brakes, shocks and rear springs and shocks, aligned, new tires mounted and balanced out the door...$1100.

Gordinho80

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For what its worth... this may be different for other applications so take it with a grain of salt... but I did not have to disconnect tie rod ends. Disconnected upper ball joint, disconnected sway bar links, and just removed the bolts for the strut assembly. I had to push down on the spindle a wee bit to get the lower mount to clear, but it came out relatively easily and went back in just the same. My biggest issue was removing the top nut from the original struts after taking them out. They have been on here since the factory and were rusted up pretty good. If I had a proper pass-through socket, I'm sure I could have made for an easier removal, but I was forced to grab the strut rod with a set of vice grips to keep the whole thing from spinning.

Now, a set of pass-through sockets in my Amazon wish list.

OP
OP
Benningtonr

Benningtonr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay the install is complete. Installed 5100 struts, 5100 Shocks and new UCA's

Install took about 4 hours, plus 2 hours for the tire shop to swap the struts out for me (cost of 40 bucks total)

So 146.00 for the shocks, 201.00 for the struts, 85.00 for the mevtech UCA's, 40.00 to have struts swapped and I just paid 88.00 for an alignment. So I have 560.00 into the project parts and labor. The best part is, the truck looks and drives great. Thanks for all the tips, and all the spec provided. As always, you guys and gals are the best.

OP
OP
Benningtonr

Benningtonr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, for those that read this in the future, and are planning on doing the rear shocks. You need a crows foot 21mm socket or a stubby 21mm wrench to get to the top nut. The way the shock tower is built you can't get a regular wrench on it, and you also have to remove the wheel well liner to get the bolt out. Those are my lessons learned.

Thanks everyone, have an awesome day.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
The best quote I received so far was $650 labor to install 5100’s, mevo UCA’s, 1.5” rear TGC spacers, helwig sway bar, and alignment. I’ve used the guy before and he does good work. I usually do my own projects, but a hand, elbow, and shoulder have been kicking my ass lately...

Rader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
The best quote I received so far was $650 labor to install 5100’s, mevo UCA’s, 1.5” rear TGC spacers, helwig sway bar, and alignment. I’ve used the guy before and he does good work. I usually do my own projects, but a hand, elbow, and shoulder have been kicking my ass lately...

Considering the work and tools involved that seems fair. Especially if the guy is someone you trust, the value of the trustworthy mechanic part of the deal should not be underestimated.

OP
OP
Benningtonr

Benningtonr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That IS a good price, when i was shopping around, the best I got was 640.00 for the labor and that was just for the struts and UCA's. The rear shocks were an added ideas since i decided to do it myself.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
That IS a good price, when i was shopping around, the best I got was 640.00 for the labor and that was just for the struts and UCA's. The rear shocks were an added ideas since i decided to do it myself.

I think it's fair too. He runs a one man shop so his work isn't the quickest. He's got three lifts, the machines, and tools to do it all. The only problem is he gets lots of delays throughout the day since he's by himself, people walking in, phone calls, quick oil changes, etc. So he asked if I could leave it overnight just in case. He only does oil changes on Saturdays and closes on Sundays. Since I come up on use or lose vacation days every year, I asked if the work could be done in one day with my help. He said yes, so looks like I'll be lending a hand while he does the major stuff. Seriously though, I personally couldn't find a better reason to take a random day off than to work on my truck in a shop lol.

Last edited:

Gordinho80

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to have a couple of connections with shops... I miss those days! In a perfect world, I'd have a 30x40 detached shop built in my back yard. I would have the camper inside off to one side and a lift in there as well.

Good deal! Enjoy the wrenching and the Bilsteins.