Question about diesels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Yeah, I'd drive the company truck and buy my own to drive at my leisure. Ohhh wait, that's what I currently do. I have had a company truck fully paid for to include all fuel and maintenance. I can drive it just about anywhere to do anything. There is nothing better than driving a free truck that someone else owns. Here is one reason I say this. I can't tell you how many times in the 15+ years I drive the company truck where I hit a huge pothole or turn too sharp into/up a driveway into a shopping parking lot and the front wheel slams the curb and I immediately think to myself if I did any damage or is my alignment screwed up now. Or the rock that gets kicked up and cracks or chips the windshield or the nail in the tire that is too close to the sidewall to patch and must be replaced. All of these have happened to me more that a couple times in 15 years along with many other costs the company paid for because it is their truck. Had the truck been mine, even with a hefty reimbursement, it would have been out of my pocket.

Ohhh, yeah, I mentioned about year and a half ago that the company truck I was driving (Ram 1500) needed a full Hemi replacement. Yep, on the companies dime, not mine.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
That was the bad thing about taking a new position at my companies corporate headquarters, no more company truck and my commute went from 10 miles to 41.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Yeah. he works 2 hours away and stays in a hotel. He works 6 12 hour days so comes home late Saturday night and goes back Sunday afternoon so his car sits. Really doesn't make sense making a payment on a brand new car that isn't driven. He has probably put 50 miles on it in the 3 weeks since he started this job...lol.

Well either way he is planning on waiting about 6 months if he does buy his own so he has time to think about it and see how it is working out for the other guys that are using their own trucks

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2018 and newer Rams have 4g. 17 and older is 3g. It is a paid subscription to actually use it as a hot spot.

Don_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is no guarantee he will have the job next month or three years from now. What happens if he looses it and has the big payment to make, not to mention insurance and maintainance? I would drive the stuff out of the free truck and put the extra money away for another time.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
There is no guarantee he will have the job next month or three years from now. What happens if he looses it and has the big payment to make, not to mention insurance and maintainance? I would drive the stuff out of the free truck and put the extra money away for another time.
I see what you are saying but there is no extra money if he uses the company truck. He only gets the $1600/month if he uses his own vehicle. Right now he is the only one on his team (4 of them) not using their own vehicle. The one guy had one but talked to his accountant and turned the company truck in to start using his own.