Question about vibration when backing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Milkman44107

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hello,

Hoping you guys can help me. I bought this truck a couple weeks ago.

2002 QuadCab Ram 1500
4.7L V8
2 Wheel Drive
3.55 LSD

Hoping it is just because I have never owned a Dodge Ram before and getting used to the truck I love.

First off, when I back up. If I have the wheel turned hard right or left when back up or taking off from a steep stop. The truck will start to give a light shake. This would remind you of the same feeling you get when a cylinder is not firing. In my head I think right away that friction plates are slipping or the TC is struggling. Yet the hope side of me wants to think this is normal do to the 3.55 LSD? There is no hesitation from the powertran, just the vibration. Now, if I step on the gas you would never feel the vibration. The truck has plenty of power.

Also, if I am backing up and say I go down a steep driveway apron I get a loud whine or squeal that comes from the truck. Enough that, when the windows were down. My friend heard it, he looked over at me and said "what was that?" Anyone else had this issue? Is it something mechanical or more body/bushing/suspension related?

Now overall the truck drives great, has very good acceleration, great idle smoothness. So I don't have any other major problems I know of yet. Some reason I fear daily when I drive about the sludge issue or the head overheat issue. I am always looking at my oil and temperature gauges.

My bigger concern is with the backing vibration and the steep grade reverse. Anyone have ideas as to what the cause could be?

Sorry if this is a double post. I have searched google for over a hour and nothing sounded as similar.

Thanks alot guys! Like I said I love the truck and don't want to think it could be some bigger problem. Yet, if these things are, then I would like to know where I need to start looking and what to do!

Last edited:

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Yeah I know what the tranny noise is and there are tsbs out on it. But I'm off to work so will have to grab those later, unless someone else chimes in.

I'd say your high spped vibration is a combination of road surface and tire balance.

OP
OP
M

Milkman44107

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Yeah I know what the tranny noise is and there are tsbs out on it. But I'm off to work so will have to grab those later, unless someone else chimes in.

I'd say your high spped vibration is a combination of road surface and tire balance.

Great! I would appreciate that very much!

Thats good to know about the highway driving. Also any idea as to what that reverse vibration could be?

Thanks again!

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Ok forst I'll start by posting this link...you folks should save this to your favorites if you have a 2nd gen.

Fritz's Dodge Ram Tech

Your transmission squeal in reverse can be found in TSBs...

TSB 21-08-99

This is for an earlier transmission, but your truck also uses the 46re if it has the 5.9. My 2000 has had the same issue after it was rebuilt. Never have gotten my transmission guy to fix it.

As far as your vibration with the wheel turned at low speeds, I suspect worn front end components or binding of the front drive train. Could be the relief valve in your power steering too.

OP
OP
M

Milkman44107

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Ok forst I'll start by posting this link...you folks should save this to your favorites if you have a 2nd gen.

Fritz's Dodge Ram Tech

Your transmission squeal in reverse can be found in TSBs...

TSB 21-08-99

This is for an earlier transmission, but your truck also uses the 46re if it has the 5.9. My 2000 has had the same issue after it was rebuilt. Never have gotten my transmission guy to fix it.

As far as your vibration with the wheel turned at low speeds, I suspect worn front end components or binding of the front drive train. Could be the relief valve in your power steering too.

Thank you for that information. I was reading it and it did not really appear to pertain to my issue.

My noise issue is more when backing down out of a steep incline. That noise does not seem to be transmission related. Yet, I can't say that knowing for sure.

The vibration I noticed it more today. It does it forward or reverse. It only seems to happen when you have to give a little bit more gas to go from stop. For example if I was stopped at a red light on a hill. Or steering wheel is hard right or left and you have to give a little extra gas for it to push past idle speed. You will feel a shudder for a maybe 1 second and then it drives smooth. Just always right in the beginning.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
That almost sounds like an engine miss? Sometimes diagnosing over the net is so dicey.

If you only get the noise backing up when the truck is cold I'd still consider the tranny, Here's a better test though...try backing up the drivway. If you get the noise (and it will be louder) under that load have your tranny repaired. Oh...does it do it going forward?

I would wonder if your tranny isn't shuddering under slight load. When was the last time the filter was changed, the cooler flushed and the check valve cleaned?

OP
OP
M

Milkman44107

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Yeah I know what you mean about the over the net thing. I understand where you are coming from thats why I try to best describe what the feeling is and hope it gives a better mental image for you.

THe engine miss thing could be getting some where. The light shake or shudder I feel. Would remind you of running a engine that has a dead cylinder. Yet, it's so odd. Does not do the shudder at every take off or backup. Just when you have a slight load at take off. Like I said before; If backing up when having the wheels turned or having to go forward from a stop on a incline.

Actually if I hammer the gas peddle you don't feel it at all. The truck feels like it has allot of power. Amazes how fast these things can go from 0-60 and I only have the 4.7L! It is easy to replicate the issue though.

As for the whine or squeal noise. It has happen all the time when the truck is running at normal temperature. Oddly only does it when backing out of a steep reverse drop. Now if I go straight back you don't really notice it. Yet if I am turning the wheel while backing off the driveway apron incline then you get this squeak line noise. Not real high pitched, more like a moan. FYI, this is a 2 wheel drive truck.

Hope you wont get offended I am also going to post this in Dodge forums as well. My hope is someone will go "oh yeah I had that issue" lol.

OP
OP
M

Milkman44107

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Sorry forgot to answer your question. I just purchased the truck a couple weeks ago. Then transmission fluid is clear/red and new looking and no burnt smells. Actually I think the fluid was just changed....

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Well...since you have the 4.7....

I would sugeest posting this over in the 3rd gen forum. They would be more fmailiar with your powertrain. You probably have a different tranny than what a 2nd gen would have.

Anyway, best of luck. Perhaps one of the mods will move it.

OP
OP
M

Milkman44107

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Well...since you have the 4.7....

I would sugeest posting this over in the 3rd gen forum. They would be more fmailiar with your powertrain. You probably have a different tranny than what a 2nd gen would have.

Anyway, best of luck. Perhaps one of the mods will move it.

Ohh shoot sorry about that! I noticed there was 2 forums for the 2002 models. I did not know which would be mine. I will repost it over in the 3rd gen forums then. I really appreciate your time!

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Ohh shoot sorry about that! I noticed there was 2 forums for the 2002 models. I did not know which would be mine. I will repost it over in the 3rd gen forums then. I really appreciate your time!

moved for ya bud! :birgits_tiredcoffee

Birdman-68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I recently had my truck serviced at a dealer. (First service since I bought it). I had a issue that sounds just like yours, it kind of shudders just for a second when you take off with the steering wheel turned to the left or right. The dealer said it was a differential problem and offered to replace it with a rebuilt one for $1,700.00. I thnled him and asked for my keys back, but I think the diagnosis was accurate. Gonna have to find someone to look into it.

OP
OP
M

Milkman44107

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I recently had my truck serviced at a dealer. (First service since I bought it). I had a issue that sounds just like yours, it kind of shudders just for a second when you take off with the steering wheel turned to the left or right. The dealer said it was a differential problem and offered to replace it with a rebuilt one for $1,700.00. I thnled him and asked for my keys back, but I think the diagnosis was accurate. Gonna have to find someone to look into it.

Ouch! I hope it is not that serious? If your problem is similar, there appears to be no loss of power with yours too correct? I mean if all we have to put up with is a very slight shudder than it can't be that bad.

I know of a few places that are really good mechanics, but they are not cheap, even for estimates. However, I really don't know if it's worth it for them to tell me what you already said. I was just more worried it was a failing transmission I guess. You have the 3.55 Limited spin as well?

Birdman-68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 5.7L, but no there is no loss of power at all. Just the shudder. And if I take off under power I don't feel it. Just when I take off slow, and yes I have the same LSD.