Question for V6 8-speed owners

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by homeyclaus, Feb 3, 2013.

Sponsored By: All Mopar Parts
  1. homeyclaus

homeyclaus Junior Member

Ram Year:
    just shopping
    Engine:
    perhaps
    So we're looking at ordering a Hemi with the 8 speed and a bench seat. The concern is that if we theoretically have our three year old with the child seat in the middle position and he works the dials and switches his feet, he could work the transmission knob.

So my question: When the vehicle is in motion, is the knob function locked out? Is there a setting to do so in the EVIC?

Also, what do you think of the manual gear selector on the steering wheel? I know some in the press didn't like it, but what's it like to live with?

(Note: this a "just in case we have to" question, and not something we'd be doing all the time.)

2. Trupiano

Trupiano Registered User

Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
    Ram Year:
    2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
    Engine:
    6.7L CTD
    Is there a possibility of getting a crew cab, or even a quad cab? As this would completely solve your problem. Not sure about the original question as I don't own one. Just throwing that out there.

3. homeyclaus

homeyclaus Junior Member

Ram Year:
    just shopping
    Engine:
    perhaps
    We're getting a crew cab. But we need seating for 6, and putting the kids in the middle front and rear, while least safe, is most comfortable, and legal in most states.

4. Black Cloud

Black Cloud Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Just my opinion - if you care at all about your kids, put them in the back. It is not only the safest, you can't shut off the front airbags and that is just dangerous.

5. hunter99

hunter99 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I have to agree. To be honest, if you need seating for six then a truck is probably not teh best choice. For the price you could get a nice Durango. Not trying to put you off but it's not worth using safety as a compromise.

6. Hemi Joe

Hemi Joe Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Durango, Suburban, minivan, etc...

7. homeyclaus

homeyclaus Junior Member

Ram Year:
    just shopping
    Engine:
    perhaps
    It's your opinion.

You're aware that most vehicles have occupant classifying airbags that shut off automatically when there isn't an adult in the front seat, and have had them for years? Google it.

Besides, there aren't any airbags for the front center position.

Anyways, thanks for your (lack of) help.

8. endorphine44

endorphine44 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.4L
    Since it's electronically controlled and these newer vehicles are hell bent on protecting themselves from the driver with all of the power and traction control systems, I could only assume that the transmission has the same type of protections built in with the shift knob. I can't imagine that the electronic systems would force the truck out of a forward drive gear while it's moving down the road...worst I could see is it forcing a downshift.

homeyclaus likes this.
  9. homeyclaus

homeyclaus Junior Member

Ram Year:
    just shopping
    Engine:
    perhaps
    That is my hope. Shift to neutral while in motion is sometimes necessary though (say on snow/ice), and that happening by accident could also have an undesirable outcome. Of course, column shifters aren't necessarily better in this regard, and I am sure kids, dogs and flying sandwiches have knocked those into neutral too.

10. 2serious

2serious Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I would tend to think there has to be a safety of some sort so that while driving if you did hit the knob it wouldn't go into park.